Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills 2017

Started by Dash Decent, 23 August, 2016, 01:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 09 February, 2017, 04:19:17 PM
What is their target demographic for a cover like that...

You realize a good chunk of MLP fandom are teens and young adult males, yes? Because the show is exceptionally well made apparently. I didn't get into it (ended up getting pulled in by Adventure Time, and Homestuck, myself) but the demographic is 'young adults'.

Personally I'm more concerned that from a casual glance at a distance, ol' Judge Pinkie Pie there looks like she's ejaculating. Clearly channeling Judge Dredd's more homoerotic side.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Rogue Judge

Quote from: The Adventurer on 11 February, 2017, 05:41:51 AM
Quote from: Rogue Judge on 09 February, 2017, 04:19:17 PM
What is their target demographic for a cover like that...

You realize a good chunk of MLP fandom are teens and young adult males, yes? Because the show is exceptionally well made apparently. I didn't get into it (ended up getting pulled in by Adventure Time, and Homestuck, myself) but the demographic is 'young adults'.

Personally I'm more concerned that from a casual glance at a distance, ol' Judge Pinkie Pie there looks like she's ejaculating. Clearly channeling Judge Dredd's more homoerotic side.

Why a man would ever watch MLP I will never understand. You can make the worlds best quality cartoon about little girl ponies or princess fairies or what have you, but I still wouldn't watch it. The subject matter is more important than how well made it is. I don't judge what others watch (that's Dredds job) but I personally don't get the appeal. The only cartoons I watch on occasion are the ones I grew up with, namely GI Joe, Transformers, He-Man etc.

I agree that, at a quick glance, the image does look as you described...but isn't that where glue comes from? :o

TordelBack

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 11 February, 2017, 07:03:59 AM
... a man ...

Is there such a thing?  I don't really care for MLP myself, but I enjoy plenty of 'cutesy' cartoons - the Tinkerbell movies, for example - so I can certainly see why others mighy. The 'subject matter' isn't really talking ponies (or fairies), it's friendship and family, perseverance in adversity,  integrity and forgiveness, the ability to learn and change and accept change: much like all drama.

Smith

I doubt there was that much thinking involved.Probably somebody at IDW said: Hey,wouldnt it be funny...
But to get back on topic,Cry of the Werewolf is a bit of an odd place for deviation.Its an okay story,but not the most famous one.I guess they went for the cool factor.Or they figured that "What if Judge Dredd stayed a fungus" wouldnt be much of a story.

I, Cosh

Why a man would ever watch MLP I will never understand.
Why would a grown  man read children's comics?
We never really die.

Smith

Quote from: I, Cosh on 11 February, 2017, 07:31:02 AM
Probably better if we dont go there.

The Adventurer

To read or care about fantasy fiction in general requires a modicum of whimsy in a person's heart.

Why a man would ever watch MLP I will never understand. You can make the worlds best quality cartoon about little girl ponies or princess fairies or what have you, but I still wouldn't watch it. The subject matter is more important than how well made it is. I don't judge what others watch (that's Dredds job) but I personally don't get the appeal. The only cartoons I watch on occasion are the ones I grew up with, namely GI Joe, Transformers, He-Man etc.

It's been 30 years since those glorified toy commercials aired, cartoons have grown up a lot and are more nuanced then ever. If I'm honest with myself, animation is the best it's ever been right now, at least in terms of writing. I'm not saying MLP is for everyone, but I I'm saying Stephen Universe is.

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 February, 2017, 07:20:21 AM
... a man ...

Is there such a thing?

A miserable pile of secrets.

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Adventurer on 11 February, 2017, 07:58:19 AM
To read or care about fantasy fiction in general requires a modicum of whimsy in a person's heart.
Er... Just in case my sarcasm is unclear: I deliberately posted this on a forum devoted to a children's comic from the venue for the 40th birthday party of a children's comic where I spent last night with other fans and creators of a children's comic.

Edit: Apple Has helpfully included apostrophes.
We never really die.

Rogue Judge

Everybody has some solid points and I don't disagree. Note the part where I said I don't judge what others like, but that I don't necessarily understand the appeal.

Good points Cosh - I have nothing against kids stuff, I read a ton of comics (and collect the odd toy) for gruds sake! The subject matter of the books i read, however, differs from ponies (more death, less ponies. not that ponies are bad). However, my daughter loves Pepe Pig and I watch it way more often than I would like!

Oh, and Happy birthday Tharg!

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Smith on 11 February, 2017, 07:23:44 AM
I doubt there was that much thinking involved.Probably somebody at IDW said: Hey,wouldnt it be funny...
But to get back on topic,Cry of the Werewolf is a bit of an odd place for deviation.Its an okay story,but not the most famous one.I guess they went for the cool factor.Or they figured that "What if Judge Dredd stayed a fungus" wouldnt be much of a story.

Maybe it's to do with honoring Steve Dillons recent passing? I think it was one of his more popular stories.  And also yes, this was probably easier to sell than fungus Dredd...although I hear he's a funguy. Sorry...

Greg M.

Cry of the Werewolf is a bit of an odd place for deviation.Its an okay story,but not the most famous one.

It's Matt Smith's favourite Dredd story - I don't know if that's raised its profile at all, but it can't have hurt. And no-one ever drew a better werewolf than Steve Dillon (not least on the terrifying cover of Scream! issue 8.)

Smith

Yeah,Steve Dillons art probably played a part in the choice.
IDK how much influence Rebellion has over things they licenced to IDW.

Frank

Quote from: Greg M. on 11 February, 2017, 09:17:59 AM
Quote from: Rogue Judge on 11 February, 2017, 08:44:38 AM
Probably somebody at IDW said: Hey,wouldnt it be funny ... Cry of the Werewolf is a bit of an odd place for deviation.Its an okay story,but not the most famous one.

Maybe it's to do with honoring Steve Dillons recent passing? [1]

It's Matt Smith's favourite Dredd story  ... And no-one ever drew a better werewolf than Steve Dillon

Damn straight. Not sure Cry Of The Werewolf is obscure at all; outside the epics [2], it'd be first on most people's list of stories to read, alongside The Midnight Surfer, Pirates Of The Black Atlantic, and The Haunting Of Sector House Nine [3].

It's one of the stories even casual readers always remember, which is presumably why when IDW asked McRea how he fancied following up Mars Attacks, this is what sprung to mind.

Me and my pal laughed our wee heads off at the idea Dredd could have been stuck as a werewolf if they hadn't found the cure. We aren't creative geniuses, so I assume the same thing occurred to wee boys in Belfast too.

[1] Dillon died October 22nd. McRea's quick, but it would have to be a very quick turnaround for this to have been written, drawn, and published in response to that sad event.

[2] ... and PJ Maybe/Dark Judges, obviously

[3] My personal list of longer Dredd stories worthy of attention would include Crazy Barry/Banana City, Requiem For A Heavyweight, Revolution, The Executioner, Our Man In Hondo, The Black Plague, and The Alabammy Blimps

The Adventurer

Quote from: I, Cosh on 11 February, 2017, 08:04:37 AM
Quote from: The Adventurer on 11 February, 2017, 07:58:19 AM
Er... Just in case my sarcasm is unclear: I deliberately posted this on a forum devoted to a children's comic from the venue for the 40th birthday party of a children's comic where I spent last night with other fans and creators of a children's comic.

Edit: Apple Has helpfully included apostrophes.

Yeah, my post was intended to agree with you.

Smith

@Frank The first part(somebody probably thought it would be funny) was about the MLP cover.