Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills 2017

Started by Dash Decent, 23 August, 2016, 01:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

They are mostly separate worlds, (referred to by some fans as the 'Edgiverse' although I don't think that's an official name)  but there is a bit of crossover. [spoiler]I remember a librarian in Stickleack appearing in Red Seas the for example, I but he lives in a place with many doors, to other worlds. A kind of hub,  if you like. [/spoiler]

Jacqusie

Quote from: positronic on 03 June, 2017, 05:31:28 PM
I vaguely recall reading something about a Time Traveler (Wells' chronic argonaut) strip in 2000AD somewhere, not sure if that was IE.

From D'Israeli's Blog:

"HG Sewell's pocket-watch shaped time machine from Ian Edginton's and my Tempus Fugitive stories in Judge Dredd (2004-2007). Sewell himself has made brief cameos in Stickleback as an inmate of Bedlam"

Some great details here:

http://disraeli-demon.blogspot.co.uk/

I miss Stickleback, it were great...

Richard

Until it was revealed that Stickleback was actually Sherlock bloody Holmes all along, which made him a much less interesting character. Man whose spine is actually outside his body = interesting. Man who reveals he was only wearing a fake spine and is actually someone from a non-2000 AD franchise = boring. I hope it doesn't come back.

Hawkmumbler

I very much suspect that thats a red herring and we're playing the long game until it returns.

Woolly

Quote from: Richard on 04 June, 2017, 10:51:31 AM
Until it was revealed that Stickleback was actually Sherlock bloody Holmes all along, which made him a much less interesting character. Man whose spine is actually outside his body = interesting. Man who reveals he was only wearing a fake spine and is actually someone from a non-2000 AD franchise = boring. I hope it doesn't come back.

^This^

Can honestly say ive lost all interest in Stickleback due to the reveal.

Tjm86

I vaguely recall reading something about a Time Traveler (Wells' chronic argonaut) strip in 2000AD somewhere, not sure if that was IE.

You could be thinking of Dredd here.  Wells travels to future MC1 and gets locked up.  In a follow up multiple Wells' from different points in time try to off him IIRC with the usual results.

positronic

Quote from: Jacqusie on 03 June, 2017, 10:43:04 PM

From D'Israeli's Blog:

"HG Sewell's pocket-watch shaped time machine from Ian Edginton's and my Tempus Fugitive stories in Judge Dredd (2004-2007). Sewell himself has made brief cameos in Stickleback as an inmate of Bedlam"

Some great details here:

http://disraeli-demon.blogspot.co.uk/

I miss Stickleback, it were great...

Yeah, H.G. Sewell, that rings a bell, I think that might be it. I don't think the Case Files have got that far yet, but... is it this? (Might be another story with the same title, though... no credit there for Ian Edginton.) Is it reprinted anywhere else?

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/DD19

positronic

Quote from: Tjm86 on 04 June, 2017, 11:40:59 AM

You could be thinking of Dredd here.  Wells travels to future MC1 and gets locked up.  In a follow up multiple Wells' from different points in time try to off him IIRC with the usual results.

I might be getting those stories confused with Edginton's H.G. Seward stories... I got the impression it was implied (if not stated in so many words) that "Seward" and Wells were one and the same, although obviously from the sound of it, there are in fact two completely separate sets of stories, one by Edginton, and one not. I think it's the Edginton stories I'm looking for, though.

positronic

Quote from: Tjm86 on 04 June, 2017, 11:40:59 AM

I might be getting those stories confused with Edginton's H.G. Seward stories... I got the impression it was implied (if not stated in so many words) that "Seward" and Wells were one and the same, although obviously from the sound of it, there are in fact two completely separate sets of stories, one by Edginton, and one not. I think it's the Edginton stories I'm looking for, though.

EDIT - Sorry, I meant "Sewell", not "Seward"... I guess the character from Stoker's Dracula must have popped into my head at that moment. Now that I think about it, "Sewell" is an anagram for Welles, not Wells, or maybe Edginton's intent was to have him as an amalgam of both?

Richard

The link is to a reprint of Time Flies, which is nothing to do with Dredd or HGS.

Colin YNWA

I think its the Dredd in this Prog your thinking of

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=prog&page=profiles&choice=1390

If that's right all hail Barney, if not all hell to me.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Woolly on 04 June, 2017, 11:36:42 AM
Quote from: Richard on 04 June, 2017, 10:51:31 AM

Can honestly say ive lost all interest in Stickleback due to the reveal.

There hasn't been any Stickleback since the 'last page reveal' has there?

Unless I have missed a great chunk where Sherlock Holmes runs around fighting them lizards or something?  :think:

positronic

Quote from: Richard on 04 June, 2017, 12:38:56 PM
The link is to a reprint of Time Flies, which is nothing to do with Dredd or HGS.

I know that's what's featured on the cover, and presumably the first (and probably the longer) of the two stories reprinted.

I didn't know if they sometimes filled out those Extreme Edition reprints with some other thematically-related story (the second story is "Tempus Fugitive", which is a pretty obvious pun, so it was a long shot), just to make the page count add up correctly.

But of course since Edginton wasn't credited, I already suspected as much... it's just what showed up when I searched the 2000AD shop for "Tempus Fugitive". I'll have a look at Barney and try to find the title as a Judge Dredd story.

positronic

Okay, I've found it now. Just the three stories, and quite spaced apart.

QuoteTempus Fugitive 1 episode (Prog 1390) 6 pages
Script: Ian Edginton, Artist: D'Israeli, Colour: Len O'Grady, Letters: Tom Frame
Featuring: Judge Lola, Herbert George Sewell (H.G. Wells)

Time and Again 1 episode (Prog 1475) 6 pages
Script: Ian Edginton, Artist: D'Israeli, Colour: Chris Blythe, Letters: Tom Frame
Featuring: Herbert George Sewell (H.G. Wells)

Time's Squared 1 episode (Prog 1551) 6 pages
Script: Ian Edginton, Artist: D'Israeli, Letters: Annie Parkhouse
Featuring: Herbert George Sewell (H.G. Wells)

Jacqusie

I really enjoyed the Time Traveller / Dredd mash up stories, not least that Edginton and Dizzy work really well together in a marvellous synergy.

I did feel sorry for old Sewell (Wells) though as time after time (ahem) his escape plans were thwarted by mean old Dreddy. I loved his facial expressions each time Dredd put the boot into a new futuristic version.

Maybe one day we shall see the return of him and he will get his opportunity to beat the system and tell Dredd tempus fugit...

...but then there's more chance we will see the resumption of Stickleback/ Holmes malarky than that happening ey?

:)