Main Menu

Prog 2101 - The Red, Wight and Blue

Started by Colin YNWA, 29 September, 2018, 04:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well well well now that's good Proggage.

What makes it all the more impressive is one of the few problems of last issue, a fantastic comic in itself is resolved. At last in the space of 5 page of deft writing I have a reason to give a toss about Nolan Blake (even bothered to learn his name now), I've engaged with him as a character and hence engaged with the series. See its simple isn't it! All it took was a bit of family backstory, a reason to understand his anger and hardedness and a situation which I could symphise with and feel his desperation. All crafted in a beautiful first page, an action packed couple and a final couple building the story and creating the conflicit. Glorious stuff and one that makes this Prog a five out of five, the very best of progage.

The rest of the strips are as you were from 2100 and therefore magnificent.

A glorious Dredd and Smiley works Dredd, Frank gets into bother and [spoiler]Sensitve Klegg[/spoiler] returns.

Brink is just crafted, creepy glory. Such heavy atmosphere with a comic bit of world building in the last panel.

Fiends of the Eastern Front is sublime both on a visual level but also the tension it so quickly builds and the action that quickly gives it form.

Finally we have more brilliance in Kingdom and Gene does what he does best... but .. well doesn't go as well as normal and I'm completely hooked... which with this series is no surprise.

You know it was discussed that 2100 could be the best Prog ever, see this one, this one makes a case too!

Geoff

Only read Dredd so far...just gets better and better..

Best progs in ages!

Bolt-01

I've read the last two weeks again, just to savour the sheer Thrill-power emanating from the pages. A superb line-up.

#PraiseTharg

wedgeski

The Saturday-morning slap of my shrink-wrapped prog hitting the porch floor has rarely sounded so good. I find myself looking forward to the next episode of Brink like I would to the next episode of Game of Thrones or Discovery. Soooo good.

sheridan

Pretty good.
I didn't recognise the Higgings cover to begin with - it's not his usual style.
Looking forward to seeing where The Small House ends up - ten episode gives the story a lot of space to breathe, which is good.
Speaking of small spaces - Brink shows a much more accurate picture of Victorian/Edwardian service than Downton Abbey ever did.
Fiends is pretty good - getting a Bram Stoker's Dracula vibe from it this week (the Gary Oldman film).  Have zombies appeared in the Fiends world before?
Skip Tracer - I should probably re-read the first book in the near future.
Rounding off the prog we've got Kingdom, an extended fight scene, hopefully the story will progress a bit more next week.

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: sheridan on 02 October, 2018, 11:13:51 PM
Have zombies appeared in the Fiends world before?

They were used a few times in David Bishop's 'Fiends' novels, and later appeared in his 'Stalingrad' sequel comic in the Megazine.

Trout

Yeah, this is all great stuff. I enjoyed it all, and even found myself following Skip Tracer for the first time. Colin's art made me make the effort though, for the man can do no wrong.

Also, Kingdom has never disappointed me.

Bolt-01

Ah, My liege, your words are full of right!

broodblik

What a great prog. Credit to everyone for delivering a supreme top-notch prog.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

robert_ellis

Question about Dredd The Small House Part 2

SPOILERS

When Judge Smiley reminds Dredd of the high body count of his friends is he implying Hershey needs to be assassinated? Because she puts the city at risk? Is he testing Dredd's loyalty? Apologies if this is blindingly obvious to other prog readers.  Another stunningly good issue!

sheridan

Quote from: robert_ellis on 03 October, 2018, 07:26:19 PM
Question about Dredd The Small House Part 2

SPOILERS

When Judge Smiley reminds Dredd of the high body count of his friends is he implying Hershey needs to be assassinated? Because she puts the city at risk? Is he testing Dredd's loyalty? Apologies if this is blindingly obvious to other prog readers.  Another stunningly good issue!

That's certainly how I read it.

Bolt-01

Ah, now I might need to read it again but I took it to be a threat that Dredd has a high bodycount among friends so should be careful...

robert_ellis

" Murder is a crime. The chain of command is followed" - Dredd

Proudhuff

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 29 September, 2018, 04:16:42 PM
Well well well now that's good Proggage.

What makes it all the more impressive is one of the few problems of last issue, a fantastic comic in itself is resolved. At last in the space of 5 page of deft writing I have a reason to give a toss about Nolan Blake (even bothered to learn his name now), I've engaged with him as a character and hence engaged with the series. See its simple isn't it! All it took was a bit of family backstory, a reason to understand his anger and hardedness and a situation which I could symphise with and feel his desperation. All crafted in a beautiful first page, an action packed couple and a final couple building the story and creating the conflicit. Glorious stuff and one that makes this Prog a five out of five, the very best of progage.

The rest of the strips are as you were from 2100 and therefore magnificent.

A glorious Dredd and Smiley works Dredd, Frank gets into bother and [spoiler]Sensitve Klegg[/spoiler] returns.

Brink is just crafted, creepy glory. Such heavy atmosphere with a comic bit of world building in the last panel.

Fiends of the Eastern Front is sublime both on a visual level but also the tension it so quickly builds and the action that quickly gives it form.

Finally we have more brilliance in Kingdom and Gene does what he does best... but .. well doesn't go as well as normal and I'm completely hooked... which with this series is no surprise.

You know it was discussed that 2100 could be the best Prog ever, see this one, this one makes a case too!

This ^^^^
DDT did a job on me