Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moldovangerbil

Quote from: The Monarch on 19 April, 2018, 12:24:50 AM
although lets be honest this ain't ending at vol 80

I'm fine if they go to 90 or possibly 95.  Any more than that and they'll start falling off the end of my shelf, so there's your cap, Hachette!

Tomwe

You only have to glance at the webshop to see how many more *already formatted* thrills could make it into an extension, although of course we all have our long forgotten faves that would be fantastic to dig out of the archive and put in print once more.
Unlike the Mega Collection, this one could run and run, and I would be very pleased for it to do so!

IndigoPrime

I hope it does, despite the current niggles. I'm not sure I'd want some Marvel-style open-ended thing, and I'd hope Matt would be quite choosy about what's included so we don't end up with Dry Run or something. But there's a lot of content I'd be happy to see in these hardback volumes: pretty much anything by John Smith (not least Indigo Prime, but also Firekind/Leatherjack/Cradlegrave), Armoured Gideon, VCs, War Machine (if it's not in the Rogue books) and a carefully hand-picked slice of post-WM RT, Starlord-era Strontium Dog, Jaegir, Button Man (if rights can be sorted), Scarlet Traces, Flesh, Leviathan (somehow – not sure what you'd twin it with though), The Red Seas (complete, if possible), Grey Area, Fiends of the Eastern Front, Ichabod Azrael...

Link Prime

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 April, 2018, 11:22:15 AM
I hope it does, despite the current niggles. I'm not sure I'd want some Marvel-style open-ended thing, and I'd hope Matt would be quite choosy about what's included so we don't end up with Dry Run or something. But there's a lot of content I'd be happy to see in these hardback volumes: pretty much anything by John Smith (not least Indigo Prime, but also Firekind/Leatherjack/Cradlegrave), Armoured Gideon, VCs, War Machine (if it's not in the Rogue books) and a carefully hand-picked slice of post-WM RT, Starlord-era Strontium Dog, Jaegir, Button Man (if rights can be sorted), Scarlet Traces, Flesh, Leviathan (somehow – not sure what you'd twin it with though), The Red Seas (complete, if possible), Grey Area, Fiends of the Eastern Front, Ichabod Azrael...

...Atavar, more Sinister Dexter, Lobster Random, Damnation Station, Absalom, more Future Shocks, Aquila, more Savage - sooo much potential still to be mined.
@jamesfeistdraws

Grumpy Andrew

Mattofthespurs

I would rather this series was pre 2000 heavy if I'm honest (and missing out a fair chunk of the 1990's)

Southstreeter

Quote from: Grumpy Andrew on 19 April, 2018, 03:51:51 PM
Atavar. Yes. Very much yes.
It's always bugged me that only the first two series were collected.

Dark Jimbo

Yeah, given the continued plaudits for Kingdom it's a bit baffling that the earlier Abnett/Elson collaboration has never been collected in its entirety, under one cover.
@jamesfeistdraws

sintec

Would be good to see Zenith in an extension, if possible

Pale fire

Evening all,
I'm completely new to 2000AD and have found this series a really great way of dipping my toes in the water. I've been checking into this thread at regular intervals too, and have been interested to read the views of y'all and a bit bemused by the subscription frustration discussions.
I've not subscribed - more than a little put off by the complaints on here. But, despite living in a big city, the number of copies at newsagents has basically dried up to zilch. I've been picking up mine at the cornershop at the end of the road, but I suspect that their system is only adding one copy because of me. The WH smiths in the city centre and forbidden planet appear to no longer be stocking them.
It'd be interesting to know how many copies they're shifting - and how close to the edge of viability it is (even reprints take a surprising amount of work...)
Anyway, as a complete newcomer my favourites have been Kingdom, Dante, Shakara & Halo Jones.
The earlier series (Nemesis, Robohunter, Strontium Dog, ABC warriors) are a bit more patchy and some have aged better than others.

Jade Falcon

Most newsagents, places like Smiths especially when it comes to partworks only seem to stock the first maybe, 10 issues at most before going to an order only system.  You do occasionally see later ones on the shelves but I suspect this can be people who haven't collected or have cancelled a partwork.  For example, occasionally I still see the Star Trek collection.  Ditto with Batman but that's a lot newer so there's always the chance with them going on a bit longer.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Dark Jimbo

Yeah, I wouldn't worry unduly Pale Fire. It's par for the course with partwork magazines; no real comment on a particular series' viability.
@jamesfeistdraws

Mardroid

I popped into W H Smiths in Gravesend yesterday, and there was the Zombo volume! I didn't get it as zombo isn't quite my cup of tea, although I like the character- but it was nice to see they're still available there.

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 April, 2018, 11:22:15 AM
Leviathan (somehow – not sure what you'd twin it with though), The Red Seas (complete, if possible),
Well, that's two of the main Edginton-verse series - I'd twin Leviathan with early Stickleback personally, and Red Seas with Ampney Crucis (with preference for Leviathan and Stickleback for me).