Main Menu

Dredd actually being human

Started by JudgeJudi, 17 August, 2018, 09:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeJudi

I was rereading Satan and I completely forgot that at the end it has a tender moment between Dredd and Anderson where he tells her he's her friend and apologies to her.

What's your favourite 'tender' Dredd moment?

Woolly

Bury My Knee At Wounded Heart's a good one for getting the emotions running.

TordelBack

I'll take up my traditional role of advocating for Alan Grant's best Dredd, 'John Cassavetes is Dead' in this category (see that Colin MacNeil really spread his wings!). And of course the classics of touchy-feely Dredd, 'The Black Plague' and 'Error of Judgement', so much Ron Smith goodness.

Greg M.

Though 'The Satanist' is not a great story, "I need to get to know her now." is a great moment.

TordelBack

Quote from: Greg M. on 18 August, 2018, 11:21:22 AM
Though 'The Satanist' is not a great story, "I need to get to know her now." is a great moment.

It's a rare case of Wagner asleep at the wheel, that's for sure: two separate scenes of Dredd breaking his chains in the same story, dear Grud. But I do enjoy Dredd instantly dismissing the Pasternak ghost tricks, the chance of a trip to Brit-Cit, and as Greg says, the bit at the end.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Woolly on 18 August, 2018, 08:04:10 AM
Bury My Knee At Wounded Heart's a good one for getting the emotions running.
And the very Dredd moment right at the end, where [spoiler]after his doing the right bit by the citizen, he then of course does the right thing by the law[/spoiler].

Richard

His reaction to Morphy's death.
It's two moments actually. When I started writing this post, I was thinking of when he's watching Morphy's body being taken away by the meat wagon, and he's reflecting on their friendship. One of the best episodes ever.
But I've also just remembered his initial rage. Dredd is frequently angry, but it doesn't often lead him into breaking the law, and this was a rare lapse of his characteristic stoicism and devotion to duty, leading to a very dramatic moment or two (and a good moment for Kraken too).

DrRocka

"Fitness Test" (prog 1484), where he goes to retire an old judge , another of Morph's rookies, then takes some personal time and sits in his old watching bay. Still gets me every time I read it.
So much going on there, under that helmet.
Never ever bloody anything ever

AlexF

There's an early Daily Star Dredd where he sentences a mob of unemployment rioters to 20 years hard labour, causing them all to cheer. It's one of those things where he uses the law to make a joke but actually help to fix the human problem of needing to do useful stuff.

I, Cosh

Think Death of A Legend fits the bill. You know, that tender moment when [spoiler]Dredd kidnaps the former Chief Judge and takes her out into the Cursed Earth to certain death[/spoiler].
We never really die.

radiator

I've always liked the bit in 'Class of '79' where Dredd and Rico II spend Christmas day with Vienna. Neither Dredd nor Rico have much of a clue how to be in that context, and it's endearingly awkward.

I also enjoyed his interactions with Demarco in Beyond the Call of Duty - and later 'The Narcos Connection' - again, it's so weird to see Dredd 'off duty' and having an actual human interaction with someone. Likewise Mandroid - you get the sense that Dredd considers Slaughterhouse as an equal, and the two could have been buds.

I also like the bit in 'Hitman' where Dredd is in a hospital bed (after being wounded in the assassination attempt) and genuinely seems a bit introspective about his encounter with Chopper (during Oz) - it's so rare to see him being so unguarded, and interacting with Hershey etc almost as friends rather than colleagues. 'In The Bath' and 'Leaving Rowdy' (where IIRC it's revealed that Dredd still feels responsible for Lopez' death - way back in 'The Judge Child' - and keeps his badge as penance) are other good examples.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Bad City Blue

There was a Ron Smith drawn strop where Dredd got Bonnie (I think) a new robot body?

Very emotional
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

sheridan

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 28 August, 2018, 05:03:21 PM
There was a Ron Smith drawn strop where Dredd got Bonnie (I think) a new robot body?

Very emotional

One of the 'Judgement' trilogy:

• Question of Judgement (Prog 387)
  • Error of Judgement (Prog 388)
  • A Case for Treatment (Prog 389)

JayzusB.Christ

The end of Full Mental Jacket was always a powerful moment for me. '[spoiler]Yes, I know, Citizen.  I know.' [/spoiler]This was the side of Dredd that Ennis, Millar and Morrison seemed entirely oblivious to, and their work on the strip suffered terribly as a result.

It still remains one of my favourite Dredds ever: It's a piece of violent urban drama a young Martin Scorsese would be proud of.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"