Main Menu

Chief Judge Griffin

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 24 August, 2018, 05:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 August, 2018, 04:33:20 PM
Only Cal should never have a retconned surname.

QuoteRetconned first name, I meant!  Hieronymus works for me. Or something Roman, like Octavius or Tacitus or summat.

I'll go with Geronimo or Noel.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Trout on 25 August, 2018, 03:01:09 PM
Will someone please provide Judge Slocum with a first name? It's an open goal, really.

Kit E Slocum, and he had a secret propensity for dyeing his hair strange colours under his helmet.

Greg M.

Quote from: M.I.K. on 25 August, 2018, 05:12:30 PM

Kit E Slocum, and he had a secret propensity for dyeing his hair strange colours under his helmet.

Slocum, like his boss, also kept an ill-fated pet.

"Judge Cal was so annoyed with me, he pickled my pussy!"

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 25 August, 2018, 05:09:11 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 August, 2018, 04:33:20 PM
Only Cal should never have a retconned surname.

QuoteRetconned first name, I meant!  Hieronymus works for me. Or something Roman, like Octavius or Tacitus or summat.

I'll go with Geronimo or Noel.

Has to be Ziro.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 25 August, 2018, 05:09:11 PM
I'll go with Geronimo or Noel

You're this board's Frankie Boyle.

Chief Judges' Forenames   (and when they were first used)

Eustace Fargo   (DC Judge Dredd #1 (1994)/prog 1505, Origins*)

Hollins Solomon  (prog 1514, Origins)

Clarence Goodman   (prog 1514, Origins)

??? Cal   (surname only, prog 86, Crime & Punishment)

Jürgen Griffin   (cover prog 1792**)

Hilda Margaret McGruder   (prog 1009, Death Of A Legend?)

Thomas Silver   (prog 735, Return Of The King***)

Hadrian Volt   (prog 917, The Candidates)

Barbara Hershey   (some stupid Megazine Boaty McBoatface competition)

Dan Francisco   (prog 1520, The Streets Of Dan Francisco)

* Coined by Andy Helfer, confirmed by Wagner

** Garth Ennis only, no Wagner confirmation

*** Ben Willsher only, no Wagner confirmation

Leigh S

Richard

Clarence Goodman got both his names in prog 86.
McGruder got two different first names in prog 742 (Margaret; Garth Ennis) and Megazine 3.9 (Hilda; John Wagner). Wagner reconciled this as Hilda Margaret in prog 1009.
Fargo's first initial was given as E in The Cal Files, in one of progs 959-963, by Wagner in 1995, which suggests that he was fine with Helfer's choice at the time.

Frank

Quote from: Richard on 25 August, 2018, 07:37:04 PM
Clarence Goodman got both his names in prog 86.
McGruder got two different first names in prog 742 (Margaret; Garth Ennis) and Megazine 3.9 (Hilda; John Wagner). Wagner reconciled this as Hilda Margaret in prog 1009.
Fargo's first initial was given as E in The Cal Files, in one of progs 959-963, by Wagner in 1995, which suggests that he was fine with Helfer's choice at the time.

You're my fact-checking cuz.

JayzusB.Christ

While Origins was a great story, for me it sightly took away the previously-established mythic status of Chief Judges past.

Solomon was one, depicted in the Cursed Earth as a sort of glorious and awe-inspiring reincarnation of his Old Testament namesake.  In Origins, he was just another desk-bound politicker. (I suppose, though, that's probably what a closer look at many of the great figures of history would reveal).

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Proudhuff

Quote from: Greg M. on 25 August, 2018, 12:19:24 PM
I assumed Cal was his surname. I imagine his first name was something lengthy and exotic, like Hieronymous, or inappropriately normal, like Steve. Steve Cal, Chief Judge.

Lord Peter Whimsey?

Judge Slocum obviously a Fannie.
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

QuoteYou're my fact-checking cuz.

Reference the cool stuff "I don't understand what they mean and I could really give a fuck"

Frank

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 25 August, 2018, 09:41:42 PM
QuoteYou're my fact-checking cuz.

Reference the cool stuff "I don't understand what they mean and I could really give a fuck"

Me, you (and probably The Cosh) are having a lovely time, but we should let those who didn't waste the nineties cataloguing their John Peel C90s in on the hilarity.*

* I once asked Spiral Stairs if that was a picture of Jackie Stewart on his amp and he said it was Jackie Stewart and I told him that was cool. True story.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Frank on 25 August, 2018, 10:11:01 PM
I once asked Spiral Stairs if that was a picture of Jackie Stewart on his amp and he said it was Jackie Stewart and I told him that was cool. True story.

I was once walked out of the back stage room at a Free Kitten gig by Mark Ibold as Cocco was there (still a baby). He was very nice, I was very drunk.

Anyway to get it back on track...errr... that Griffin hey he was into like.... Ugly Kid Joe I heard...

Leigh S

Lobo Baggins

Diabolik.  His mother was a big John Phillip Law fan.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.