Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Alien Resurrection has its problems, but I confess to rather liking it.

That underwater sequence was really good. The Betty had a look which wouldn't be out of place in Firefly/Serenity.

It's probably the weakest of the Alien films (I'm undecided concerning Alien Covenant. I'm not including Prometheus or the Alien Vs Predator films, in my comparison) but I found it kinda fun.

Theblazeuk

I got around to watching Alien Covenant. Slightly better than Prometheus, still v.bad.

zombemybabynow

ghost in a shell [never seen the manga] superb
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Spikes

Sole Survivor (1970) - The original 'Made for TV' movie, I believe. This story is loosely based on the discovery of the B-24 "Liberator" bomber the "Lady Be Good" that was found in the Libyan desert after the crew got lost on their 1st bombing mission to Italy.

I remember this being often repeated back in the 70s, and would always try to catch it. And though star William Shatner does indeed take his shirt off, he doesn't wrestle any aliens or kiss any women. Someone has uploaded the full movie onto Youtube, and a UK Blu-ray/DVD combo was released fairly recently as well.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Scored some free cinema tickets.

Seen Cars 3. Unrealistic plot: [spoiler]guy hits middle age, loses "it" to the younger up and comers and ends up training those who are just fundamentally and technically more gifter than he ever was[/spoiler]). The CGI was stunning but a bit too uncanny valley for my taste.

Also saw Spiderman: Homecoming. The perfect Spiderman movie.
Lock up your spoons!

Rara Avis

I've watched a few documentaries lately.

1. OJ Simpson Made in America - Absolutely fascinating. I have no idea how famous he was and what a big deal this actually was. [spoiler]It was also fascinating, in a really grim way, that he had distanced himself from the black community until the murder charges.[/spoiler].

2. Gringo. The story of John McAfee of the internet security company fame and his incredibly bizarre life.

3. The Galapagos Affair: Satan Came to Eden. Documentary about two German's who rejected civilization in the 1930s and moved to one of the Galapagos Islands. They became famous in Germany which inspired others to move to the islands as well with disastrous consequences.

4. Hypernormalisation. I had balked at the idea of a three hour documentary about how we are living in a fictional reality and how this was created but by the end I wished it was longer.

Would absolutely recommend any of them.

Professor Bear

If you liked Hypernormalisation, I'd recommend you check out the companion documentaries Bitter Lake and The Emperor's New Clothes - the latter being Russell Brand's baby, but there is zero chance that Curtis didn't have a significant hand in it given the overlap in themes and continuation of lines of thought about Western media hegemony explored in the other two.

A Wrinkle In Time - a 2002 premake of the upcoming Disney bomb, apparently not much liked by the author of the original book and it's easy to see why: some nice character moments, but boy is this thing boring, as well as having some pretty messy character arcs and a female lead for some reason delegated to holding the beer of another character.  There also seems to be an assumption that a tesseract and a wormhole are the same thing.  I expected better from a Disney telemovie for 8 year olds.

Very Important Person - not much in the way of laughs, but an entertaining enough WW2-set POW romp about a charmless boffin who accidentally gets banged up in a Kraut soldier pokey.  There's the beginnings of a couple of good films in here, but most of feels like it goes nowhere, including a largely pointless sub-plot about a variety show.  The feelgood ending was out of nowhere, but nice.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 25 July, 2017, 07:59:44 PM
Also saw Spiderman: Homecoming. The perfect Spiderman movie.

It is, isn't it? I have a soft spot for the first two Raimis, but this blows them out of the water. I was extolling its virtues to a colleague today, and realized that for me the stand-out gasp-inducing moment in a megamillions superhero movie is when some guy opens his hall door. This can only be the case because you are invested in all the characters, and thus instantly understand the stakes: top-notch filmmaking.

Smith

I was doing a lot of re-watching these past few days.
Stargate (1994) It does actually hold up pretty well.
Enemy Mine Such an unappreciated classic.
The Last Starfighter Great,fun movie.

von Boom

Quote from: Smith on 26 July, 2017, 08:48:17 AM
I was doing a lot of re-watching these past few days.
Stargate (1994) It does actually hold up pretty well.
Eminently watchable.

Enemy Mine Such an unappreciated classic.
I haven't watched it a while, but it is certainly an understated gem.

The Last Starfighter Great,fun movie.
Absolutely love this film. I still look for a Starfighter video game when I'm in strange, out of the way places.

CrazyFoxMachine

Fitzcarraldo

Herzog's rambling mesmerizing tale of one man's dream to bring an opera house to early 1900s rural Peru. Despite some dodgy dubbing it feels deeply real - especially the grueling boat-lifting sequence to which the only plausible response is "which mad German are these tribes people really working for - Kinski or Herzog?!" It's a nicely focused delve into idiosyncratic ambition through mad exploitation with some strong secondary characters and anchored by the hypnotically unstable Kinski.

Hawkmumbler

Herzog is a director i've little exposure to, his Nosferatu remake is about it. I'll have to add more of his works to my to watch pile me thinks...

Greg M.

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 26 July, 2017, 06:52:23 PM
Herzog is a director i've little exposure to, his Nosferatu remake is about it. I'll have to add more of his works to my to watch pile me thinks...

I started with Aguirre, but I think Fitzcarraldo's probably the better starting point.

Rara Avis

Hi Captain Obvious checking in .. you know they did they for real? I mean lifted the boat over the mountain. That *actually* happened. I just find that absolutely bloody bonkers, beautiful but bonkers.

The documentary about Kinski and Herzog is pretty interesting as well. My Best Fiend it's called.

Will definitely check out Bitter Lake and The Emperor's New Clothes, thanks for the tip Prof. Bear.

Apestrife

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 July, 2017, 07:35:11 PM
Dunkirk

Brilliantly constructed, beautifully shot. Moments of unnerving, alien stillness contrasted with near-unbearable tension. Dialogue is minimal, but the actors are all excellent and the result is surprisingly affecting. Also, at a lean 106 minutes, it doesn't outstay its welcome. Thoroughly recommended. See it in IMAX if you can -- its very, very good.

Saw in 70mm. Plan on watching it in IMAX as well. I hear it's superloud. Can't wait to hear those Spitfire engines roar. Really enjoyed the gimmick of stories told in one hour, one day and one week. Made for more than a couple of aha moments when something or someone turns out quite different than in the first glance. Towards the end [spoiler]the soldier who didn't see that the old man -who "wouldn't look him in the eye"-
was blind[/spoiler] tied it all together thematically for me :)