Main Menu

GQ: How 2000ad Predicted The Future

Started by Frank, 27 April, 2014, 08:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Living a totally healthy risk-avoiding responsible life must be ace, any tips?

sheridan

Quote from: Tordelback on 23 October, 2015, 10:28:05 AM
Living a totally healthy risk-avoiding responsible life must be ace, any tips?

Was that aimed at me?  I'm still overweight from the time I spent in a wheelchair (due to the second part of the don't-eat-too-many-calories and get-enough-exercise equation I went from slightly underweight to overweight-but-not-quite-obese) but I'm getting in better shape now that I'm not restricted to a wheelchair.  If the wheelchair had been even longer term then I'd have had to reappraise either how much I ate, what type of exercise I could do to compensate or some combination of the two.

p.s. my experience of effectively being a couch potato, running out of breath easily and chest pains has led me to lament those who would otherwise be perfectly fit and healthy but choose to destroy their good health.  I cannot get into the headspace of people who choose to do that to themselves.

Anyway, none of this is to do with 2000AD predicting the future, so I won't contribute any more to this thread unless I come across an interesting news item which doesn't relate to fatty stories.

TordelBack

Nah Sheridan, not aimed at you in particular - it's just that criticism of fat folk in general seems to rapidly move to accusing 'them' of failing to carry out some sort of objective risk-assessment on their lifestyles, with resultant burden on society.  Which is something a great many of us are guilty of in a casual sense in our everyday lives, and yet greater and more voluntary risk-taking is positively lauded if it involves big engines, prodigious quantities of alcohol or excessive deviation from a datum altitude.

Like Michael Ironside says, c'mon you apes, you wanna live forever?

Mardroid

Yes. And many slim people have diet related health issues too, high chollesterol, etc. It's just the cause is less visible than with the overweight. (I'm not defending the latter. We just all need to live more healthy lives. I include myself in that.)

TordelBack

Without wanting to further detail the thread into an endless discussion on Fat Shaming, thought I'd just add a quick link to a video on the subject by the always excellent Boogie2988 (aka Francis). It's a response to some typically irritating YouTube nonsense, but the points are sound. It you want to make it on topic imagine it's Two Tonne Tony Tubbs talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR7LEQYP4rA

Frank

moldovangerbil

Ok, so MC1 elected an urang-utan not a cat, but here's another example of Tharg's ability to predict the future:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/16/disgruntled-siberian-city-wants-cat-for-mayor

ming

Hawkmumbler

Was that really nearly a year ago? Blimey, doesn't feel that long.

TordelBack

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tordelback on 18 March, 2016, 10:20:46 AM
Business opportunity for Jacob Sardini.
I was all down with that, as odd as it is, until that one instance where people whipped their phones out to have pictures taken with the deceased. Taking way beyond my comfort zone, i'm afraid.

Tribs

Zombo, July 2011 - here's hoping this wasn't predicting election victory for a certain person. (To be fair, the idea of Trump standing for office has been floating around since 1988, apparently)

(And it's probably just coincidence that Donald J. Trump has the same number of letters as Robert L. Booth...)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tribs on 27 March, 2016, 02:40:29 AM

(And it's probably just coincidence that Donald J. Trump has the same number of letters as Robert L. Booth...)

That has to be the most tenuous grounds for a conspiracy theory I've ever seen - and that's saying something  ;)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"