Main Menu

Meg 414 PSI-War in the Sun

Started by broodblik, 20 November, 2019, 12:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Frank

I can't be the only person who thought, judging by CJ Logan's body language, that the explanation for Volt's inability to father a child was something very different from that stated in the text:

TordelBack

Stunning cover, although thanks to Funt Solo I am unable to think of this character as anything other than 'Anderson's Daughter'.

Dandontdare

My contender for cover of the year - so  nice to see Dylan' Teague's actual artwork rather than just him colouring someone else

broodblik

Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 November, 2019, 10:35:25 AM
My contender for cover of the year - so  nice to see Dylan' Teague's actual artwork rather than just him colouring someone else

Totally agree I would like him to do more mileage in the prog/meg like a Dredd or two.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

For one reason and another only just finished this tonight. Shame its taken me a while as its a decent Meg. Fronted by a simply glorious cover by Dylan Teague. It perfectly captures why he's used to colour work as the colours are sublime, but overall simple clear shape design is just magnificent.

Speaking of nice art who let Alan Davis in the house... oh its actually Ian Richardson on Dredd but man does this remind me of the mighty Mr Davis, its great fun art. At time it does creak under the weight of the style and shows some slight design problems. The story by Rory McConville is typically sharp and entertaining with a graceful arc from an apparently light beginning to a dark end.

This is followed by a decent Tale from the Black Museum.

Diamond Dogs lost me a wee while ago but this is a great ending that makes me what yo go back and read it as one. Warren Pleece is magnificent as ever. The Returners has a similarly great episode. Dramatically realised and again one I need to go back and lavish in I suspect.

This Meg wraps up with the final part of what's be a superb Anderson story. Probably the best in years. Okay so by the end it was Wolfman and Perez's New Teen Titans... but of course it had that dark twist. Add to that Patrick Goddard, always one of Tharg's most under-rated, turning in a blinder even by his exceptional standards.

The text pieces are light and disposible this month and the floppie another modern reprint which is a little frustrating. But its the strips I come for and with LAWLESS coming back next month, backed up by Blunt and Devlin Waugh its the strips I'll be happily coming back for.

Proudhuff

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 November, 2019, 07:33:52 PM
Stunning cover, although thanks to Funt Solo I am unable to think of this character as anything other than 'Anderson's Daughter'.

This ^^^^
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 November, 2019, 09:04:50 PM
For one reason and another only just finished this tonight. Shame its taken me a while as its a decent Meg. Fronted by a simply glorious cover by Dylan Teague. It perfectly captures why he's used to colour work as the colours are sublime, but overall simple clear shape design is just magnificent.

Speaking of nice art who let Alan Davis in the house... oh its actually Ian Richardson on Dredd but man does this remind me of the mighty Mr Davis, its great fun art. At time it does creak under the weight of the style and shows some slight design problems. The story by Rory McConville is typically sharp and entertaining with a graceful arc from an apparently light beginning to a dark end.

This is followed by a decent Tale from the Black Museum.

Diamond Dogs lost me a wee while ago but this is a great ending that makes me what yo go back and read it as one. Warren Pleece is magnificent as ever. The Returners has a similarly great episode. Dramatically realised and again one I need to go back and lavish in I suspect.

This Meg wraps up with the final part of what's be a superb Anderson story. Probably the best in years. Okay so by the end it was Wolfman and Perez's New Teen Titans... but of course it had that dark twist. Add to that Patrick Goddard, always one of Tharg's most under-rated, turning in a blinder even by his exceptional standards.

The text pieces are light and disposible this month and the floppie another modern reprint which is a little frustrating. But its the strips I come for and with LAWLESS coming back next month, backed up by Blunt and Devlin Waugh its the strips I'll be happily coming back for.

and this^^^^
DDT did a job on me

broodblik

Enjoying the Meg as well.

Highlight was the Anderson story one of the best in the last few years.

The Dredd stories art was a real standout for me. I am not to familiar with the work of Ian Richardson, what else did he do ?

Diamond Dogs was a nice new tale and I would not mind it coming back

Mikey

Yeah, that was a nicely balanced Meg under a simply superb cover.

Good to see others hold the Anderson run in high esteem - I entirely agree it's been the best Anderson in an age and think the 'Team Teen Mutants' aspect was a welcome approach hiding in plain sight all these years. Nice to see psi Judges get in a rumble and using their powers for more than finding a perp's whereabouts for a change.

Dredd comes in second place for me with what was a great one off, with The Returners, Diamond Dogs and ...Black Museum hovering at the same level. Of the other strips The Returners had some lovely art but I'm still not sure about it and Diamond Dogs was fine as an introduction/set up overall didn't bowl me over, though I'd definitely like to see more.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Tomwe

Just got done with the floppy reprint which I found to be an excellent series! Glad we will be getting more of this next month. I know it's 'modern' but it's also nearly ten years old, and I returned to the prog in 2005 so it's spot on for me.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Sinx

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 10 December, 2019, 12:47:08 PM
I don't get the cover pun.
Maybe it's like "Phwoar! In the Sun" - harking back to the old days of third page titillation

MacabreMagpie

"War In The Sun" is a Preacher arc, I took it as a reference to that rather than a pun

CalHab

I thought it was a pun on Summer in the sun.