Main Menu

Rebellion buys TI Media archive

Started by TordelBack, 28 September, 2018, 01:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Disappointed the deal seems only for Time UK's comic archive, and so Tharg won't now be treating us to Case Files style reprints of Loaded and Woman's Own. Turns out Michael Carroll's hilarious and erudite survey of the longest running UK comic titles was also a sales prospectus:

4. Comic Cuts
– Publisher: Amalgamated Press
– 3006 issues
– [Ctrl-C]: 17 May 1890
– [Ctrl-X]: 12 Sep 1953

One of the world's most famous vintage comics, and occasionally cited as the first "proper" comic, which it wasn't (and sorry, American readers, but The Yellow Kid wasn't the first comic either), Comic Cuts is the oldest title on this list, predating the test-run of Illustrated Chips by two months. It was originally a compilation of humorous cartoons culled from US publications — hence the title — but soon began printing original material. It's quite likely that this publication is the source of the word "comic" when we use it in relation to books of what Scott McCloud termed "Sequential Art."

The convoluted story of the spending jag that saw IPC/Time gobble up every part of the UK comic industry that wasn't safely hidden away in Dundee is reminiscent of Tharg's ongoing Borg-like assimilation of an entire medium.

Here's hoping Tharg doesn't follow IPC CEO Cecil Harmsworth King down the path of plotting a military coup to seize Parliament and install the Queen's cousin* as his puppet prime minister. How has Pat Mills not written about this guy?

* Speaking of incestuous relations, Harmsworth's mother was the sister of the Nazi-loving Daily Mail proprietors, Viscounts Alfred and Harold Rothermere, who also owned IPC. Despite being employed by his uncles, Harmsworth King - like absolutely every child of millionaires, ever - believed his ascent to the top of UK publishing was due to his 'good judgement, wide knowledge, and great foresight', rather than his shrewd choice of which fanny spat him out into the world and then Oxbridge. UK publishing - and UK media as a whole - is basically one of those wee villages in Fife that has one Spar shop and every face you see is adorned with exactly the same nose.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: PIKLZ on 28 September, 2018, 03:10:31 PM

I've been around for a few years, have been quiet though

'E was pinin' for the fjords...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Frank on 28 September, 2018, 06:32:41 PMTharg's ongoing Borg-like assimilation of an entire medium.
I think it's fantastic. I recall how wary people were when Rebellion bought 2000 AD. Some readers thought they'd milk the comic for gaming IP and kill it. Now, we see the Kingsleys as the custodians of British comics history that would almost certainly otherwise just wither and die completely. Clearly, there's a business opportunity here – you don't just do this for love; but, hell, there's a lot of love going into this too.

John Pannozzi

More info.

Interesting note:

QuoteDo Rebellion now own TV Comic, Countdown and TV Action?

No. Polystyle, who published those comics, was absorbed by London and North Surrey Newspapers, which was absorbed by the Mirror Group.

All the original strips published in those titles, including "Countdown" drawn by John M. Burns, are owned by the Mirror Group (although the artwork resided in the Express newspapers archives in 2008, but its whereabouts is now a mystery).

QuoteSimilarly, City Editions, who owned TV21 and Lady Penelope, was absorbed by Express Newspapers, although TV21's ownership may be a bit muddled as it was absorbed into Valiant.

By my research, the Mirror Group and Express Newspapers are now owned by Reach plc.

Colin YNWA

Well what a mixed day for news.

What I'm particularly happy about with this news is it suggests that Rebellion has done okay with the Treasury stuff as they still have an appetite to buy more.

Wonder how the copyright sits with the TV stuff in Look-in? Would love to see the Arthur Ranson Dangermouse stuff.

Now got off ya butts and buy Doomlord of DDC already!

Frank

Quote from: John Pannozzi on 28 September, 2018, 08:03:25 PM
More info.

An old friend offers a more comprehensive list than the excellent John Freeman has yet compiled (see attached)

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 28 September, 2018, 06:32:41 PMTurns out Michael Carroll's hilarious and erudite survey of the longest running UK comic titles was also a sales prospectus:

How have I not seen that blog before?

QuoteHere's hoping Tharg doesn't follow IPC CEO Cecil Harmsworth King down the path of plotting a military coup to seize Parliament and install the Queen's cousin* as his puppet prime minister. How has Pat Mills not written about this guy?

I for one welcome our horse-riding, armour-wearing, lance-holding overlords.

John Pannozzi

Quote from: sheridan on 28 September, 2018, 01:29:54 PM
So Rebellion basically owns every British comic character you've ever heard of, except Dan Dare, Desperate Dan and Dennis the Menace?

(to the general public, that is - people here will know an awful lot more comic characters).

Well, they don't own Tank Girl either.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Interesting in the reports to see Titan were after the comics. I'm glad to see Rebellion won out. They seem to have a better handle on this kind of thing.

broodblik

I find it very strange when IP get bought and they do nothing with the titles. Rebellion does a great job with their acquisitions not like The Dan Dare Corporation which effectively killed all their IP.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

DDC have historically been a bit weird. I remember years back asking for reprint permission for a magazine article about their old comics. I got a very stern legal warning in response. That basically killed it. They seemingly learned a bit later on, and at that point provided said permissions, but by that point the momentum had passed. (A pity – I'd still love to get a Computer Warrior feature into the press, but there you go.)

broodblik

I would like a proper and complete reprint of Doomlord

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 29 September, 2018, 11:47:23 AM
I would like a proper and complete reprint of Doomlord

I would absolutely love this. The one book we have from Hibernia is SO good.

Splank!

So much great material from the Odhams comics.  Perhaps a companion volume to the Ken Reid Faceache book with some of Leo Baxendale's work from Wham! and Smash!   And I recognise there is little hope of this, but it would be nice to see a reprint of the totally bonkers Brian's Brain strip from Smash!