Main Menu

Spines

Started by Fleetos, 12 October, 2011, 04:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

You know what grinds my gears... that IKEA doesn't allow for skirting boards at the back of their bookcases. (I know wrong thread!)
DDT did a job on me

Richard

Get Tordelback to adjust them for you.

TordelBack

Quote from: Richard on 02 November, 2019, 03:42:22 PM
Get Tordelback to adjust them for you.

I had to do it to my own! But yeah, it is a pain. Simpler is to use the included wall brackets at their longest setting to stabilse and just leave a gap at the back.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 November, 2019, 01:09:04 PMIt's relatively easy to cut down a Billy to fit an awkward space.
Sadly, that isn't the problem. Two Billy cases are short (wasting room height) and too narrow, but the space between then isn't big enough for something useful like a shiny discs unit or something. By contrast, 2x Ivar fit almost exactly (but are a bit high for our absurdly low downstairs ceilings).

Quote from: Proudhuff on 02 November, 2019, 02:18:01 PM
You know what grinds my gears... that IKEA doesn't allow for skirting boards at the back of their bookcases. (I know wrong thread!)
Our Billy cases have pre-made cuts for skirting boards. But they're really old ones (c. 2006) and so I guess things changed with the new, shallower redesign.

Proudhuff

You're right, however skirting board in Edinbra tenements are over a foot high  :-[
DDT did a job on me

Hawkmumbler

Yeah there's some odd gaps, but I recently picked up Case Files 10-13 so thats one eye sore out of the way...

Hawkmumbler

There are more books and comics than that, but they're over on the bedside cabinet waiting to be read, including the rest of Corto Maltese among others.

IndigoPrime

Looking back, I never followed up. Mrs IP said no on the expensive shelves. We looked at IKEA again and went for 4× IVAR and a tame carpenter cut them down to size. (We have very low downstairs ceilings.) Bottom shelves for library editions. Two for OS HCs. Two for standard booms. One for short paperbacks and my Peanuts books. And the top to the ceiling is our CD collection, now double stacked. Cost just north of £200 for the shelves. Not bad!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 12 March, 2021, 10:18:19 PM
There are more books and comics than that, but they're over on the bedside cabinet waiting to be read, including the rest of Corto Maltese among others.

Phew I was about to berate you for being so behind - good to hear the rest are waiting to be read. That's a pretty nice set up and a tidy collection you got going there.

Must update the nerdcave thread at some point as there's been changes since I first set that up.

Dark Jimbo

You've still got my Charley's War books! ❤️
@jamesfeistdraws

milstar

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 12 March, 2021, 10:17:06 PM
Yeah there's some odd gaps, but I recently picked up Case Files 10-13 so thats one eye sore out of the way...

It grinds my brain and eyes seeing such a vast, perfect collection compared to miserable mine. Oh, dear jealousy.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

milstar

Are those titles on the near top and left movies? I recognized it by Fulci's splatter horror.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Hawkmumbler

Absolutely is! Big film buff, indeed I nearly went to film school. Due to lockdown I've moved back in with my grandparents to keep them company through all this but once it's over I'll be pulling the rest of the collection out of storage and doing a proper studio set up, projector and all.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 March, 2021, 10:46:23 PM

Phew I was about to berate you for being so behind - good to hear the rest are waiting to be read. That's a pretty nice set up and a tidy collection you got going there.

Must update the nerdcave thread at some point as there's been changes since I first set that up.

Took me awhile to round up the rest but a well worthy exploit, and I'm much looking forward to diving into the Siberia chronicles!

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 12 March, 2021, 10:57:22 PM
You've still got my Charley's War books! ❤️
They're one of my gems. I could 'upgrade' to the new Rebellion editions but ah, I feel the HC, slim and resplendent treatment Titan gave the series is perfect enough for me.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

One for the 'spines' thread, though not specifically spine related.

Today I received The Brutania Chronicles vol 4 in the post. It was shiny. Which wouldnt be a problem, if the first three weren't matt.

Is everybody else's shiny?

SBT

jrdd

Coincidently I also received vol 4 in the post today... shiny.