Main Menu

Best strips of 2018

Started by norton canes, 03 January, 2019, 11:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

Quote from: DrJomster on 26 February, 2018, 09:44:45 PM
This thread should be an annual event, like the excellent Best Covers ones. I'm looking forward to Best Strips of 2018 already!

Well you need look forward no longer, because here it is   :D

Yes, once again it's time to vote for your three favourite 2000 AD strips of the past year. Please rank them, it's three points for your 1st place choice down the one point for 3rd place. Please don't do joint placings as the scoring gets too complicated.

Here's the list of candidates, compiled by looking through the 2018 section of the online shop. I've omitted Dredd, as it seems a bit unfair to compare the comic's weekly fixture against the rest of its ever-changing roster. I've also left out one-shots from the year's specials, and Future Shocks. However I've left in Infestinauts because even though it's a 3riller, as a 3-part story it's long enough to judge. Please let me know if I've missed any other non-single-issue strips.

A.B.C. Warriors
Anderson
Bad Company
Brass Sun
Brink
Durham Red
The Fall Of Deadworld
Fiends Of The Eastern Front
Grey Area
Infestinauts
Jaegir
Kingdom
Mechastopheles
The Order
Savage
Sinister Dexter
Skip Tracer
Strontium Dog
Survival Geeks

A reminder of last year's top 3:

Brink   (51 pts)
The Fall of Deadworld   (25 pts)
Hope ...for the Future   (17 pts)

This time round, will even half a Brink strip prove too much of a match for the competition?

Only you can decide!

wedgeski

Brink 3
Grey Area 2
Strontium Dog 1

Jim_Campbell

1 — Brink
2 — Jaegir
3 — Kingdom

Although, I have to say that I enjoyed pretty much everything on that list, to the extent that there's nothing on there that I'd be sorry to see make a return appearance in 2019.

(Did we really get through a whole year without a series of Slaine...?)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JamesC

1 - Brink
2 - Deadworld
3 - Grey Area

When was Kingmaker and when's it coming back? I loved that one.

norton canes

1. Jaegir
Short, sharp and utterly electrifying, courtesy of Gordon Rennie's literate script and the sublime vision of Simon Coleby and Len O'Grady.

2. Strontium Dog
Sentimental reasons? Hell, maybe. Still, no-one writes quite as effortlessly and exquisitely as John Wagner; and no art will ever complement a strip as well as that of Carlos Ezquerra.

3. Survival Geeks
OK so perhaps the fact they themed a whole arc around Doctor Who has something to do with this. But I love 'em anyway.

Honourable mentions to the mighty triumvirate of Dan Abnett epics Brink, Kingdom and Grey Area, as well as Kek-W's Fall Of Deadworld. Actually I think the only reason Brink isn't in the top three is that I know it's going to be even better in 2019.

I also loved the re-tooled Durham Red and Fiends Of The Western Front; Mechastopheles proved its worth as a full-length proposition; and Infestinauts can't return too soon.

Mardroid

Fiends of the Eastern Front (My phone changed 'fiends' to 'friends')
Durham Red
Fall of Deadworld (or 'Deadwood' according for my phone.

Occurs to me there is a bit of a theme in my choices.

dweezil2

1: Strontium Dog

2: Jaegir

3: Savage
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

broodblik

1 Jaegir
2. Brass Sun
3. Fiends of the Eastern Front

Well 2018 was a very good year. Runner-ups: Brink, Deadworld and Strontium Dog

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

James Stacey

1- Fiends of the Eastern Front
2- Brink
3- Strontium Dog

IndigoPrime

1. Kingdom
Did it end? Who knows? Regardless, this has been one of my favourite strips in 2000 AD's history, and the latest strip was as good as it's ever been.

2. Fiends Of The Eastern Front
A nicely chilling take on a strip that of late appears to have far more scope than I'd ever thought. I really liked the historic aspect, pulling in threads that made me think of Hellboy.

3. Durham Red
To my mind, the first time the character's really been done service. Great art, although the switch halfway through jarred. Hard to know where they will take this now Carlos is no longer with us, mind (on the basis that
it's very unlikely we'll now see any more Strontium Dog).

HMs

Brink: Smart plotting, great art, and proof that slow-burn and talky doesn't mean boring
The Fall Of Deadworld: Relentlessly creepy and horrifying, although not _quite_ at the heights of last year for me, in part due to the rather too overt elseworlds stuff creeping in

ming

1 - Brink
2 - Fiends
3 - Grey Area

Brink has been a massive favourite of mine since it started and continues to hit all the right notes; wonderful storytelling featuring some astonishingly beautiful art.

Fiends... My initial misgivings about a revisit to the world of Constanta & Co. were happily misplaced and I loved this to bits (I wasn't a massive fan of the Stalingrad outing).  Different enough but familiar at the same time and Dave Taylor's art has been bloody marvelous!

For 3rd place in a strong year I opted for Grey Area mainly since, for me, it's developed really, really well lately - interesting characters with lots of detail in plot and art (as well as sufficient humour) means it's another great 2000AD world to get lost in.

WhizzBang

1) Brink
2) Brass Sun
3) The Fall Of Deadworld

I always enjoy it when older strips like Strontium Dog, Durham Red, and Sinister Dexter show up though.

Mardroid

Forgot Grey Area!

Oh... i'll stick to my guns.

Huey2

1st - Strontium Dog
2nd - Fiends
3rd - Savage.

Tomwe

3- Brass Sun
2- Kingdom
1- Fiends Of The Eastern Front
I began the year re-reading all of Brass Sun to date so that was a necesssary inclusion, and similarly with Kingdom's second Ultimate Collection volume dropping the late part of the year I was all in with Gene & co.
But Dave Taylor's art on Fiends made it top my list.
What a great year- here's to more great thrills in 2019!