Main Menu

Han Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 22 October, 2016, 12:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 21 June, 2017, 09:40:37 AM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 21 June, 2017, 03:13:06 AM
I just couldn't imagine RP as a young Harrison Ford and wasn't fussed on the stories either.

That was Sean Patrick Flanery.

No - that was in TV's Young Indie Chronicles - we're talking about the first scenes of Last Crusade.

sheridan

Quote from: SIP on 12 July, 2017, 09:33:53 PM
The reality is,  Kasdan is ghost directing this one I think.

Force ghost directing, surely?

JLC

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 July, 2017, 04:25:28 PM
Arf!

A largely internet-free holiday (other than the odd visit here) meant that I missed this news.  No question that Howard has the skill and experience, but bringing in a Lucas-era man (American Graffiti actor, Willow director) who now cranks out Dan Brown adaptations to order doesn't say a lot for the freshness of Disney's latest experiment.  Hopefully we'll see some Cocoon/Apollo 13 Howard and not Angels & Demons/Far & Away Howard.

New set photos remain as uninspiring as the entire idea of this movie, but hey ho.

Yes. Legally he can't but in reality I bet he is.

SIP

He's certainly calling the direction of the film, hence the forced departure of the previous directors who weren't, a allegedly, keeping to script.

As such, I have high hopes that this will be a decent film. Unlike the mess of Rogue One this will at least have a strong and singular approach.

dweezil2

Quote from: SIP on 13 July, 2017, 07:16:42 PM
He's certainly calling the direction of the film, hence the forced departure of the previous directors who weren't, a allegedly, keeping to script.

As such, I have high hopes that this will be a decent film. Unlike the mess of Rogue One this will at least have a strong and singular approach.

Doubtful they'd hire someone of Howard's stature and experience to direct, just to have him on the sidelines.
If they'd wanted that, they'd of hired some young naive director they could boss around-not unlike the two they just fired.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JLC

Quote from: dweezil2 on 13 July, 2017, 07:39:18 PM
Quote from: SIP on 13 July, 2017, 07:16:42 PM

Doubtful they'd hire someone of Howard's stature and experience to direct, just to have him on the sidelines.
If they'd wanted that, they'd of hired some young naive director they could boss around-not unlike the two they just fired.
No, it is the perfect cover.

GordonR

Arf!

A largely internet-free holiday (other than the odd visit here) meant that I missed this news.  No question that Howard has the skill and experience, but bringing in a Lucas-era man (American Graffiti actor, Willow director) who now cranks out Dan Brown adaptations to order doesn't say a lot for the freshness of Disney's latest experiment.  Hopefully we'll see some Cocoon/Apollo 13 Howard and not Angels & Demons/Far & Away Howard.

New set photos remain as uninspiring as the entire idea of this movie, but hey ho.

You think an A-list talent with a Best Director Oscar is going to be willing to be the front for someone else and completely devalue his rep in Hollywood?

Seriously?

JLC

Quote from: GordonR on 13 July, 2017, 08:20:15 PM
Arf!

You think an A-list talent with a Best Director Oscar is going to be willing to be the front for someone else and completely devalue his rep in Hollywood?

Seriously?
Yes, as it will not devalue his rep in Hollywood. Those awful Dan Brown movies have done that.

Professor Bear

Those movies made a fuckton of money and Hollywood cares more about that than their quality.  Ron Howard is still tinseltown royalty.

JLC

Quote from: Professor Bear on 13 July, 2017, 09:20:58 PM
Those movies made a fuckton of money and Hollywood cares more about that than their quality.  Ron Howard is still tinseltown royalty.
True but I don't see how ghost directing the Han Solo movie would devalue his rep. It is just a rumour.

SIP

Quote from: GordonR on 13 July, 2017, 08:20:15 PM
Arf!

Seriously?

No, I think Ron Howard will direct, but I also think Lucasfilm and Disney have shown 100% backing for Kasdan in the recent dispute and i expect that Ron Howard will be expected to keep 100% to the script, something that wasn't allegedly happening with the previous directors, resulting in their sacking.

Please dont assume that I am ignorant or naive as to what the director brings to the table, but the underlying reason for the change of director is well documented and understood and Kathleen Kennedy has been quite visible in her support of Kasdans vision for the film.

SIP

It's also worth mentioning that Howard does have some history with Disney, 2/3rds of the shoot was already completed before he even came on board (so unlikely he will be stamping his own vision on it),  and it certainly won't damage Howard's reputation to be connected to the star wars franchise, and the likelihood that he will have a film attached to his name that will probably  make in the region of 0.5-1 billion dollars at the box office (considering Star wars form at the box office).

Exactly how would this be damaging his reputation in money obsessed  Hollywood?

The original directorial choice was a bad fit. There was no need for improvisational comedy direction when you had the Empire screen writer on board. What you needed was someone who could give the film some visual identity and be faithful to the source material and th e script. Hopefully that is what Ron Howard will bring.

SIP

Last comment - it's also a plus for Disney to have a known, successful directors name attached, even with limited involvement..... to everyone wins on this one.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SIP on 13 July, 2017, 10:45:46 PM
What you needed was someone who could give the film some visual identity and be faithful to the source material and th e script. Hopefully that is what Ron Howard will bring.

That's generally what a director does; not a 'ghost director'.

Poltergeist was apparently and ironically, a ghost-directed film – as in producer Stephen Spielberg wrote the film, designed the storyboards and lined-up the shots on the day, but it was Tobe Hooper who yelled action and cut. I don't imagine Ron Howard putting himself in that kind of position.

SIP

Ron Howard is not really going to be able to stamp his own mark on the film though. With 2/3rds already filmed he will need to keep to a visual style already dictated to some degree (depending on the actual scale of the reshoots). What has transpired already would suggest that his main remit is to keep Kasdan happy and turn out the film that he wants.

It doesn't hurt Ron Howard to have his name against it, and it helps Disney with marketing the film.