Main Menu

John Smith - Is he ok?

Started by Rio De Fideldo, 27 August, 2018, 03:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I seem to remember him liking the direction Kek W took Indigo Prime.  I don't think there's too many hard feelings there.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 28 August, 2018, 03:58:41 PM
No arguments here - as I've said to Eamonn on his podcast, John is easily up there with Grant Morrison and Pete Milligan but has somehow never become a global comics superstar.

I also remember Mark Millar's Canon Fodder being a way inferior rip-off of Killing Time; and yet there's Millar striding like a colossus across the comic and movie world (though, of course, Firekind was fairly successful on the big screen too...).

That said, I'm glad he's stuck with Tharg over the years. Also recently learned on this board that he nearly became Tharg himself for a short while.

Yeah its always baffled me, especially when you think of things like that short Hellblazer set in the laudrette which showed what a perfect fit he was for that series! Rumour has it (though this is based on nothing more than that) Karen Berger didn't like his stuff and hence Vertigo (the its precursers often edited by Karen Berger) didn't happened for him, the route in closed.

As for Cannon Fodder yeah just re-read it and commented on just this elsewhere on the board. It read like Millar trying to do John Smith and by doing so really exposing the differences, to Smith's credit. between the two!

TordelBack

Aye, no disrespect to the writers doing surprisingly fine work with his creations,  but there is only one John Smith. A unique voice who regularly gave the prog a creative backbone when it had precious little else to recommend it. That (beyond these walls) he isn't recognised as one of the greats of the medium is a constant source of bafflement.

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd