Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhizzBang

'Put the cat amongst the pigeons' is indeed an expression that is similar to 'throw a spanner in the works'. Here is an excellent usage of this phase from Billy The Fish: https://youtu.be/eHgJW8q8BrY?t=255

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: WhizzBang on 26 October, 2020, 06:44:04 PM
'Put the cat amongst the pigeons' is indeed an expression that is similar to 'throw a spanner in the works'. Here is an excellent usage of this phase from Billy The Fish: https://youtu.be/eHgJW8q8BrY?t=255
EVERY TIME it's a pop culture quote! :D

Quote from: The Monarch on 26 October, 2020, 01:46:12 PM
aw fox you poor sweet summer child.....

we should be due the 1990 spinnies soon shouldn't we?
Indeed! We're two weeks away from BOTH the 1990 Spinnies and the similar award show for Big Meg One, THE MEGGIES! Start getting your awards together now!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our mega second episode Eli and Conrad continue their patrol through the world of Judge Dredd with issues 2 and 3 of the Judge Dredd Megazine, cover dates November and December 1990. This Episode Midnite's children finish hunting, death comes to Drongo Springs, Judge Death rents a room, Kenny Who? is heading home, and America gets radicalized!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Michael Carroll has just posted an interview with Steve Dillon which (from context) must have been conducted just after the first Meg came out - and features the first twelve pages of the Dredd story!
linky

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and thirty-first episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 708-711 of 2000AD, covering December 1990. This episode the year is ending so it's time to clear the decks! It's the end of Time Flies, Silo, and Anderson, and it's gonna be action packed and emotional!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

ALSO! We've now reached the end of 1990 in our timeline, and that means it's time for a year in review! We're doing award episodes for both Space Spinner 2000 AND Big Meg One this time, the Spinnies and the Meggies! We wanna hear what you liked for each publication!
For 2000AD:

• Best Art
  • Best Writing
  • Best Overall Thrill
  • Best Month of Progs
  • Best Year of 2000AD
For the Megazine:

• Best Art
  • Best Writing
  • Best Overall Story
  • Best Year of the Megazine
Send in your thoughts for both shows by November 8th and we'll read them on the show! See you at the Spinnies!

sheridan

2000AD

Best Art

Jeff Anderson
Mick Austin
Massimo Belardinelli
Simon Bisley
Philip Bond
Gary Caldwell
Simon Coleby
Steve Cook
Carl Critchlow
Dave D'Antiquis
Steve Dillon
Nigel Dobbyn
Richard Elson
Carlos Ezquerra
Martin Griffiths
Mike Hadley
Simon Harrison
Jamie Hewlett
Graham Higgins
David Hine
Kev Hopgood
Simon Jacob
Colin MacNeil
Paul Marshall
Jim McCarthy
Jim Murray
Tim Perkins (colouring droid)
Arthur Ranson
John Ridgeway
David Roach
Cliff Robinson
Zac Sandler
Will Simpson
Ron Smith
Kevin Walker
Chris Weston
Art Wetherall
Anthony Williams
Steve Yeowell

Best Writing
Heath Ackley
Nicholas Barber
John Brosnan
Paul Carstairs
Garth Ennis
Michael Fleisher
Dave Gibbons
Alan McKenzie
Mark Millar
Peter Milligan
Pat Mills
Grant Morrison
Ian Rimmer
Hilary Robinson
Gordon Robson
John Smith
John Tomlinson
Tise Vahimagi
John Wagner
Brian Williamson

Best Overall Thrill
Armoured Gideon

Bix Barton
Barton's Beasts

Bradley
Bradley Meets Jason Donovan (almost)
Bradley Goes Gothic
Bradley Goes Gigging
Bradley Goes Mental

Chopper
Song of the Surfer

Chronos Carnival
Chronos Carnival
Caverns of Colony Five

The Dead Man

Dry Run

Indigo Prime
Winwood and Cord
Fegredo and Brecht

Judge Anderson
The Screaming Skull
Shamballa
Engram

Judge Dredd
A Letter to Judge Dredd
Tale of the Dead Man
By Lethal Injection
Dear Annie
Necropolis
Theatre of Death
Nightmares
Wot I Did During Necropolis
The Revised Macbeth
Death Aid

Junker

Medivac 318
Arcturus

Nemesis & Deadlock
Warlocks and Wizards

Night Zero
Beyond Zero

Rogue Trooper
The War Machine
Golden Fox Rebellion

Shadows

Silo

Sláine
The Horned God Book II
The Horned God Book III

Strontium Dog
The Final Solution: Replay
The Final Solution Part 2

Tharg's Future Shocks
A Step Further
War and Peace
The Mirror
Thanks for the Memories
Guilt
Termination Explanation
The Dawn of the Loch Ness Monster
Big, Bigger, Biggest BOMB!
Killer Pigeons from Hell
Sleighbells in the Sky
Digby Trench, Come on Down

Time Flies

Universal Soldier
Universal Soldier II

Zenith
Phase 3: War in Heaven

Zippy Couriers
Mascot
Shelob

Best Month of Progs :)
January
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Best Year of 2000AD

sheridan

Megazine

Best Art
Colin MacNeil
John McCrea
Peter Doherty
Cam Kennedy
Jim Baikie
Glenn Fabry
Sean Phillips
Duncan Fegredo

Best Writing
John Wagner
Alan Grant
Garth Ennis

Best Overall Story

Young Death: Boyhood of a Superfiend

Beyond Our Kenny

Chopper
Earth, Wind & Fire

America

Judge Dredd
Midnite's Children

Best Year of the Megazine

sheridan

My Megazine votes - John Wagner, Colin MacNeil, America, 1990.  We'd had hints* of it before, but we'd never seen the Mega-City One system quite like this before.

* The Democracy storyline wasn't exactly a hint, but it was still told from Justice Department's point of view even if it wasn't exactly a sympathetic portrayal.

sheridan

2000AD.
Best art: King Carlos - I'm not a colour-for-colours sake kind of person, but fully painted Carlos art?  Yes please!  I'd be tempted by Bisley's work on Horned God Books Two and Three, but I prefer the art on the first book, and I think this is the best art we'll see from Carlos (computer-coloured art is great and all - after the learning curve - but still not a patch on the brushwork).  Was also tempted by Macneil's work on Song of the Surfer.

Best writing: John Wagner or Pat Mills, for the stories in my next vote.

Best overall thrill: I can't decide between Judge Dredd: Necropolis and Sláine The Horned God, and you can't make me!  Both are the resolution of long-running story threads (in the case of the latter, the end of the story which began with the debut in The Time Monster).

Best month: whichever one had the Dead Man reveal - unless that was the previous year in which case I don't know.

Best year: 1983, as ever.

SpaceSpinner2000

SORRY! DON'T FORGET TO NOMINATE AN MVP FOR BOTH 2000AD AND THE MEGAZINE!

Also thanks to Sheridan for the cataloging, as always!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 02 November, 2020, 12:39:07 PM
2000AD.
Best art: King Carlos - I'm not a colour-for-colours sake kind of person, but fully painted Carlos art?  Yes please!  I'd be tempted by Bisley's work on Horned God Books Two and Three, but I prefer the art on the first book, and I think this is the best art we'll see from Carlos (computer-coloured art is great and all - after the learning curve - but still not a patch on the brushwork).  Was also tempted by Macneil's work on Song of the Surfer.

Best writing: John Wagner or Pat Mills, for the stories in my next vote.

Best overall thrill: I can't decide between Judge Dredd: Necropolis and Sláine The Horned God, and you can't make me!  Both are the resolution of long-running story threads (in the case of the latter, the end of the story which began with the debut in The Time Monster).

Best month: whichever one had the Dead Man reveal - unless that was the previous year in which case I don't know.

Best year: 1983, as ever.
Right in January! What a year it's been!

The Monarch

Best Art: I so wanted to say Chris weston for the second year in a row but nah his (killing)time will come in 91. But no its gotta be king carlos hasen't it? pulling for the second time ever a non broken run of dredds

Best Writing Grant morrison continuing to murder our childhoods with much glee. if you did not have tears for big ben then what can i say you are a goddamn monster

Best Overall Thrill Chopper song of the surfer....he should have stayed dead

Best Month of Progs January was a blinder this year

mvp Hilary robinson. She was a fun writer in a time where everyone was either dying in their strips or going into dark places. Since shes now gone from the prog its likely the only time i can vote for her.

As per usual in lieu of best year its time for the award that conrad hates me doing but it will continue to appear as long as those drawers in the nerve centre are filled with crud its the rick.....no no no no i can't use that one anymore its the 90s....its time for the Michael L. Fleisher award for least best strip and how could it not be the ill advised reboot of the harlem heroes. it went on for way too long and felt like it was never gonna piss off.

and now for the megazine

artist: Colin Macneil for his service to not only america but putting johnny out of his misery and almost doing the same for chopper

writer: there can only be one winner of this one John wagner himself.

story: yup its america it cannot be stated how important this series is to the point its still being felt in 2020.

mvp: tied due to the importance of both john wagner and alan grant without whom this early stretch of the meg likely wouldn't be as strong as it was.

You think you can escape it? i am afraid not its the -walter t wobot- award for least best strip and if i haden't already made it clear before it goes to chopper. He died....he will always be dead at the end of that finishing line. he should have stayed dead and the meg strip is terrible. special mention though to mega city news which is neither a strip or as funny as it thinks it is.

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 02 November, 2020, 05:43:15 PM
SORRY! DON'T FORGET TO NOMINATE AN MVP FOR BOTH 2000AD AND THE MEGAZINE!

Also thanks to Sheridan for the cataloging, as always!

Well, in that case it makes some of my choices easier - I can pick John Wagner for 2000AD for writer and Pat Mills for MVP, for the reasons I was vacillating between the two above (though it'd be tempting to pick Colin MacNeil too for killing off long-running characters... with style).

For the Meg, MVP to Cam for great brushwork.

Colin YNWA

2000AD

Best Art

So tough - The Mighty Yeowell is magnificent. Colin MacNeil just grows before our eyes on Song of the Surfer, David D'Antiquis for Silo and its really hard not to give it to Arthur Ranson for Shamballa but I'll go Jamie Hewlett just because its so fresh and different.

Best Writing

Honourable mentions to Wagner and Grant on their seperate strips but this one goes to Peter Milligan for the wonderfully different Shadows and Hewligan's Haircut

Best Overall Thrill

Honourable mentions for Hewligan's Haircut, Song of the Surfer, Shadows, Silo, half of Zenith Phase 3 and great Dredd but this one goes to Anderson - Shamballa all the way

Best Month of Progs

November - Its an inconsistent year so the highs a lows here really sum the year up. Okay we have Harlem Heroes and Time Flies but we also get the highest highs great Dredd, the wonderfully different Hewligan's Haircut and of course Shamballa my favourite of the year. Add to that Silo starting - I'm a big fan of that creepy classic and that's an interesting month.

Best Year of 2000AD - This one isn't going to change for a long time yet!

MVP

Again I'll go with impact rather than positive value and for good or ill (well its probably a lot of both) I think we really start the feel the massive impact of Igor Goldkind on Tharg's kingdom and for all the issues I might have he did really try to shake things up and explore new avenues for thrillpower.

Andy B

Michael Fleischer certainly has an iron grip on bottom thrill! It's going to be a titanic head-to-head struggle soon when he has two strips going on at the same time...

As for the Spinnies:

Artist – Carlos Ezquerra, for 31 consecutive episodes of pure class, can't be anybody else.

Writer – John Wagner, for the whole Dead Man / Road to Necropolis / Necropolis arc. Masterful stuff: I remember how thrilling it was at the time. That said, I like the build-up to Necropolis better than Necropolis itself: for a 26-part story, not much actually happens in it (compare it to the Cursed Earth, Judge Child, Apocalypse War...). So for...

Top Thrill, I'm going for the Horned God. What can I say that hasn't already been said?

MVP is a tricky one, without just picking one of those guys again. So I'm going to go for Arthur Ranson, not so much for this year, but in advance recognition: I think he might be my MVP of the 'dark ages' of 2000AD, which for me are roughly 700-949, and he gets off to a fantastic start this year, with Shamballa being perhaps the most beautiful art we've ever seen in the Prog.

Megazine Artist – Cam Kennedy: love his Dredd, and this subject matter really suits him, obviously, denying America a clean sweep (I'm not a huge fan of early Colin McNeil – although I love his current, more minimalist style)

Megazine Writer – John Wagner for America. As you guys said on the podcast, he really steps it up in this story: and he was already pretty good!

Megazine Top Thrill – Difficult not to pick America. Similarly...

Megazine MVP – not very imaginative of me, but it's got to be John Wagner again. He was the indisputably the Man, in those first years of the Megazine.

Best year and month just too hard... the year that Prog 335 was in!