Main Menu

War Of The Worlds fans - start weeping now

Started by Mangamax, 03 September, 2004, 06:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangamax

Bad enough that the film's going to be set in the present day...
Bad enough that it's Tom Cruise as the Narrator...
But now he has a daughter????

Link: http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2004-08/31/11.00.film" target="_blank">sob... sniff....

The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Tiplodocus

I'm looking forward to quietly sniggering as people saying "It's just a rubbish rip-off of INDEPENDANCE DAY".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mangamax

Bet you there's a dog in peril too.
And you see a two second clip of the Eiffel Tower and Big Ben destroyed to show how the other nations have fallen.
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Conexus

It's always the bloody eifel tower and big ben when Britain and France gets attacked, how's about a little variation ?

What about the London Eye, what about the Arc De Triumphe(Sp). It'll be a bonus if the London eye was destroyed, as it couldn't give the impression that we are stuck in Victoriana      

Demon Chicken

How do the Martians know that London runs the UK?  Have they secretly been reading the Times or soemthing?  What about other places?

DC - Flleing strangely safe about a Martian invasion living a long way from Londinium

chopper666

Cruise has been trying to get this movie going for around the past 6 years or so and teaming up with Speilburg can only help things.

I know I may get flamed for this but I havent seen a bad Cruise movie yet, you get exactly what it says on the tin.

Marc

The Amstor Computer

Then why didn't any of my tins say "Shit"?

;-)

Woolly

So youve not seen 'days of thunder' then?

(to be fair to the Cruise-meister, he is brilliant in Born on the fourth of july.)

Richmond Clements

I know I may get flamed for this but I havent seen a bad Cruise movie yet, you get exactly what it says on the tin.

Well done Marc! I'm on your side here. I like Cruise, and I like Cruise movies. (No I haven't seen Days of Thunder or Vanilla Sky)

Quirkafleeg

The one thing I really hate about Cruise (well there's more that one but this is the main one) is he can act better than most movie stars (see Magnolia) but he makes so many lack-lustre crud films. And he's a Scientologist.

chopper666

I met Tom Cruise when he was in London for Vanilla Skys and the guys nice, even smaller than me and Im tiny. Days of Thunder was such a let down for most of his fans as it followed so close to Top Gun and thats one of his best movies even if it is in the high concept niche.

Word on the streets is that Collateral is excellent however and could land the small one his first Oscar.

Marc

Bico

I never really liked the Cruiser, but he sorta grew on me after Interview With The Vampire.  The Oirish thing in Far and Away might have pushed things a bit, but he isn't Irish, so it's forgiveable, I suppose.
I liked him in A Few Good Men, too.

Richmond Clements

As chopper666 says, I Know someone who has net him, and he is apparently a nice guy.

But yes, the scientology thing is a bit daft, but so is any religion if you think about it.(My opinion, of course)

Should I now stand up and admit to loving M:I2..?

Bico

Just 'met' him?  I know someone with a better story than that...

MI2 was a top show.

IndigoPrime

The thing is, what's the point in this movie? I really don't care how long Cruise has been trying to green-light this because by taking away the two main points of the original?it being set in the 1890s, and being set in England?it's more like ID4 2 than War of the Worlds. I guess, like iRobot, they just wanted a cool title. If they suddenly turn round and say "hey, we changed our minds: it's now going to be set in Woking and London, and in 1890", I'll be very happy and look forward to a unique movie that's also a fitting adaptation of the original novel. As it is, I won't bother seeing it?there are already too many movies where aliens attack in the modern day, and we don't need another.