Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Badly-designed products - especially extremely simple products that are designed to do one thing, like my kettle which is incapable of pouring water without dribbling and spilling it everywhere.

Tiplodocus

When you have to put your hand into the manky water to unplug a sink, I reckon it's badly designed.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dandontdare

Quote from: radiator on 16 April, 2014, 04:11:48 PM
Enormously petty and first world problems and all that, but it always grinds my gears when I go to use the computer or iPad and have to wade through several hundred* browser tabs that my girlfriend has left open - and she goes apeshit if I dare to close them down. I've given up trying to explain bookmarks.

*That's not an exaggeration.

I have the opposite problem trying to train my dad  - if you tell him to look at a different website, he closes the whole browser down and starts again, he can't seem to grasp the concept of multiple tabs or windows!

radiator

Quote from: Dandontdare on 16 April, 2014, 04:19:24 PM
Quote from: radiator on 16 April, 2014, 04:11:48 PM
Enormously petty and first world problems and all that, but it always grinds my gears when I go to use the computer or iPad and have to wade through several hundred* browser tabs that my girlfriend has left open - and she goes apeshit if I dare to close them down. I've given up trying to explain bookmarks.

*That's not an exaggeration.

I have the opposite problem trying to train my dad  - if you tell him to look at a different website, he closes the whole browser down and starts again, he can't seem to grasp the concept of multiple tabs or windows!

To paraphrase Mark from Peep Show.

"Old people are just like us, really. Except they think that when you open a new window on the computer the old one is gone forever."

Keef Monkey

My current peeve is (and it happens almost every day either there or back) - People who sit across the table from me on the train and put their handbag/rucksack/briefcase on the floor in front of their feet. It might seem silly but it's annoying because that's where my feet are supposed to go.

Being quite lanky it makes that hour there and back every day quite uncomfortable. I would never say anything though, that would be impolite.

von Boom

Google Chromebooks. Just received one we purchased online for an upcoming trip. Guess what. The bloody thing won't power up. Even plugged in. Thank you HP/Google.  >:(

Steve Green

Bottles stuck in hedges.

They don't want to drop it on the ground, but will still ignore the bin that's 20 feet away.

radiator

People #who #excessively #hashtag to #the #point where #it looks #desperately #needy.

When people use nonsensical, pointless hashtags as a way of #makingalamejoke.

People who say the word 'hashtag' out loud before making a statement - you are the kind of prick who used to say '.com' after making a statement, and you sound just as cretinous.

I actually don't know why I even bother using Twitter - I just find it mildly irritating most of the time.

radiator

Showboating on social media - ie posting links to right-on political causes, or scientific news or that kind of thing. It's more often than not an empty gesture designed purely to make the person posting it look/feel more clever/political/worthy. I've seen statistics that say many online articles are linked to far more than they're actually read.

CrazyFoxMachine

...man this thread was created for you, wasn't it Radiator?

Weren't people banging on about emigrating making you less grumpy?! Sheeeesssh.

What grinds my gears is Marvel killing members of its colourful clan just to boost sales. To the point that they're just really weirdly flippant about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIrb_uoKrQU - the Watcher gets his eyes pulled out and you get a variant version with glow-in-the-dark eyeballs. Don't know about you but this lapsed Marvelite is kind of sad about it.

I mean... I know he'll just get quietly resurrected in a few years time but - I mean, free gifts to promote a character's death? Just seems off.

Although to be fair to our beloved Tharg that frisbee of Cass's corpse provided with the last meg was vverrry tastefully done.

ZenArcade

Yeah well as long as our Cass is ok, I'm down with the whole thing. Z
Oh what really grinds my gears: as always - Sinister Dexter. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JamesC

Quote from: radiator on 16 April, 2014, 04:14:15 PM
Badly-designed products - especially extremely simple products that are designed to do one thing, like my kettle which is incapable of pouring water without dribbling and spilling it everywhere.

This.

Surely good design shouldn't cost any more than bad design. If you're commissioning someone to design you a kettle and it doesn't pour then they've fucked up and should start again.

I suppose the thing is that they're sometimes commissioned to design a black, space age looking kettle because they sell the best and the pouring function is a secondary consideration.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: radiator on 16 April, 2014, 08:39:22 PM
I've seen statistics that say many online articles are linked to far more than they're actually read.

Could you post a link to those statistics?
You may quote me on that.

von Boom

Quote from: radiator on 16 April, 2014, 08:34:20 PM

People who say the word 'hashtag' out loud before making a statement - you are the kind of prick who used to say '.com' after making a statement, and you sound just as cretinous.

This ranks up there with air quotes and saying quote/unquote when speaking.

M.I.K.

'Creative' being used as a noun.

The word you are looking for is either 'creator' or 'creation'. Not creative. I don't care how many soddin' dictionaries it's in now, it never used to be a noun and it shouldn't be used as one now.

Not too long ago I did a bit of investigating to determine when and where this poncified paradigm of wrongness originated and what manner of creature had inflicted it upon our world. 

It turns out that the use of 'creative' as a noun first emerged in the US in the 1960s, among people who work in advertising.

Yep.