Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

I'm not saying she definitely isn't suffering from some form of deppression. I'm pointing out that people with self harm tendencies don't tend to post them on facebook because, shock horror, they tend not to want people to know about their condition. Flaunting a mental illness on facebook is, horrifyingly, considered a 'statement' amongst many teenagers I was in school with.

mogzilla

wasn't aimed at you hawk, just offended by the term "idiot" facebook might be the only way she feels she can talk about it or raise the subject. I know plenty who treat it as their life
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

von Boom

When your boss comes to you expecting the work assigned to you is done when you said it would be. I mean sheesh.  ::)

mogzilla

health and safety monkeys... last week one of our kids nearly died at work I got wrist slapped cos I risked putting my back out helping him ,I didn't ,he was ok and I promised not to do it again with fingers firmly crossed behind my back.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

GrinningChimera

Screaming children. They are not mine so why should I have to listen to them? Noise control should come and remove them and put them in a small box. Far far away. Like on the moon.

radiator

We went to a pub - a pub - recently, and there were a family in there whose children were watching films on a portable DVD player with the volume cranked up to full so the whole place could hear it. Unbelievable.

GrinningChimera

Quote from: radiator on 02 May, 2014, 02:08:25 AM
We went to a pub - a pub - recently, and there were a family in there whose children were watching films on a portable DVD player with the volume cranked up to full so the whole place could hear it. Unbelievable.

And I bet they didn't even have the decency to watch a good film either huh?

Wankers who use a tablet as a camera. Especially in restaurants. Nothing makes you look like a massive knob like using a tablet as a camera in public places. If you can afford a tablet you can afford a camera surely!

TordelBack

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 02 May, 2014, 08:46:29 AM
Wankers who use a tablet as a camera.

My mother has just started doing this.  An avid photographer in her younger days, she drilled me in f-stops and apertures before she would ever let me near a camera, and when the prints came back was vicious in her critique of my composition and exposure  - all of which I am very grateful for.  Every camera she owned was in some repeatedly-described way inadequate, and buying her equipment for presents was a minefield: I remember an external flash my father gave her one Christmas was the source of much seasonal acrimony, and was returned the day the shop re-opened.  Digital cameras (pre-DSLR) were to be avoided in her presence because the correct arm/face position couldn't be achieved.

Now at 72 she grins as she holds up the 9" iPad my brother bought her, looking like every other clueless goon and I visibly cringe to see it. 

But her pictures are amazing

Just another tool.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 02 May, 2014, 08:46:29 AM
If you can afford a tablet you can afford a camera surely!

But if your preferred viewing platform for the photos is your tablet, why would you use a different device to take the pictures?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

GrinningChimera

I ment them other people tb....

:D

no offense ment to yer mum

or anyone elses for that matter

GrinningChimera

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 May, 2014, 09:19:51 AM

But if your preferred viewing platform for the photos is your tablet, why would you use a different device to take the pictures?

Cheers

Jim

It's more the taking the tablet out in public thing that gets me. Maybe I'm just not with it.

TordelBack

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 02 May, 2014, 09:20:18 AM
no offense ment to yer mum

Oh no, the whole thing is ghastly, I agree. Worse still because the results of all this obvious idiocy are so bloody good. 

Personally I'm still undecided about integral light-meters.

Old Tankie

Have I read that correctly, TB, your Dad gave your Mum an external flash?  Keep it in the bedroom, I say!!

TordelBack

Quote from: Old Tankie on 02 May, 2014, 09:49:50 AM
Have I read that correctly, TB, your Dad gave your Mum an external flash?  Keep it in the bedroom, I say!!

Hah! 

CrazyFoxMachine

Went to a gig (a free one :thumbsup:) last night and the first band (third support) did that thing  - they were all about 15 years younger than everyone else and had a full entourage - and when they'd finished they went and sat elsewhere in the pub and ignored the other two bands. Didn't leave - just didn't engage with them - and talked loudly amongst themselves for the rest of the night. I know you're not obligated to watch the other bands on the bill but at least go full douche and leave rather than filling the non-gig bit with scoffing teens with that sort of swooshy haircut they all seem to have.

[spoiler]Thing that I left out because it sort of ruins the rant: Their swooshy haired guitarist alone stood enraptured at the front for the other two performances and looked genuinely buzzed at the end of all of it and had a steely-eyed "this is what I want to do with my life" expression on his face which was quite profound.[/spoiler]