Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 June, 2014, 10:42:24 PM
I suspect Nately's whore has had a hand in this.
What kind of name is that?
It's Tordback's name sir!

I sympathise but hAve no real solution.
We never really die.

Trout

Quote from: sauchie X on 09 June, 2014, 07:47:00 PM
Quote from: radiator on 09 June, 2014, 05:45:21 PM
We should probably spin this off into a food thread...?

On an internet forum for comic book nerds, wouldn't that just devolve into a discussion of which flavour of Pot Noodle goes best with Diet Coke?

Bombay Bad Boy.

The Doctor Alt 8

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 June, 2014, 06:44:22 PM
Quote from: radiator on 08 June, 2014, 06:31:33 PM
Which will then sit uneaten in the fridge for weeks as she reverts to scoffing crisps and chocolate, until the fruit all goes rancid and I have to dig through it and throw it all away.

Send it to us!  My bloody kids eat fruit incessantly, I can't afford to keep up.  My daughter alone eats an average of 3 apples, 2 bananas and an orange per day, plus sundry grapes and straw-/rasp-/black-/blueberries if available.  Forget healthy, this stuff costs a fortune.  I want my Mek-files dammit!

Your toilet paper bill must be pretty dammed high to. I could never eat that amount of fruit in on day... My digestive system has a strict only two items or less policy.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 10 June, 2014, 03:34:30 AM
Your toilet paper bill must be pretty dammed high to.

An astute observation, and then there's the environmental damage of shipping calories around the world to consider...  We try to stretch out local and foraged fruit for as long as possible over the winter, but ultimately crumbles and jams etc. don't fill the on-the-hoof niche.

Given as how I'm a porker these days, and there's obesity and T2 Diabetes on both sides of the family, we've been keen to avoid the use of biscuits and toast etc. as browsing fodder for the sprogs.  Requests for food between lunch and tea, or between school and sports, are universally met with 'apple, orange or banana?', and it seems to be having the desired effect (except for when they are with their grandparents, who seem to believe the kids are deficient in Vitamin McD) .  Certainly my aforementioned youngest would now live on fruit alone if we let her: bringing her blackberrying is a zero-sum game.

mogzilla

NHS doctors...my great nephew less than a year old has been going blue cold hands and feet and a temp of 40 degrees centigrade has been sent home twice by the doctors at a and e cos they don't know whats wrong with him!!!!!
Lancashire care nhs trust preston and chorley A&E feel proud ,hope the little fella makes it. >:(
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

Theblazeuk

The Doctor Alt 8

Seriously considering printing up these to place in my libraries... IF I could alter them to look like official Croydon council notices

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 10 June, 2014, 04:07:51 PM
Seriously considering printing up these to place in my libraries... IF I could alter them to look like official Croydon council notices

Where is the like button?
DDT did a job on me

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I 100% agree.

A few years ago when I worked in QUB's Student's union I worked at both the (tabletop/RPG) DragonCon  and  (general Sci-Fi/Fantasy) QCon. The smell was fuckin' unholy. It permeated the whole building. It infested every porous membrane on your person. This building also hosted a regular nightclub wherein people would dance their arses of for 5 hours plus, and the building never smelled as bad as it did with nerds sitting around eating excessive amounts of pizza and doritos.

It's the dirty little secret of geek culture that no one addresses. The putrid skeleton in the nerd closet. I have a feeling that all the online, arrogant, elitist and misogynist* nerds wouldn't be taken as seriously if people could actually smell them. Or indeed, see the crusting of convenience food around their mouths/jowels.

*More accurately: sexually frustrated. These people don't seem to realise that the reason members of the oppostie sex (and society in general) reject them has more to do with their lack of personal hygiene than anything else.
You may quote me on that.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Mister Pops on 10 June, 2014, 04:34:55 PM
These people

Special guest post there by Generalization Boy (formerly Assumption Lad, sidekick of Stereotype Man may he rest in peace) - most tabletop nerdy lads I know (used to live with quite a few) don't stink, nor where they arrogant or sexually frustrated. Only takes one or two BO-boys to stink up a room - same as it only takes one person postin' that kind of nonsense to make us ALL look like rabid assumers and generalizers.

The Doctor Alt 8

Posted by: Mister Pops
« on: Today at 04:34:55 PM » Insert Quote
I 100% agree.

A few years ago when I worked in QUB's Student's union I worked at both the (tabletop/RPG) DragonCon  and  (general Sci-Fi/Fantasy) QCon. The smell was fuckin' unholy. It permeated the whole building. It infested every porous membrane on your person. This building also hosted a regular nightclub wherein people would dance their arses of for 5 hours plus, and the building never smelled as bad as it did with nerds sitting around eating excessive amounts of pizza and doritos.

It's the dirty little secret of geek culture that no one addresses. The putrid skeleton in the nerd closet. I have a feeling that all the online, arrogant, elitist and misogynist* nerds wouldn't be taken as seriously if people could actually smell them. Or indeed, see the crusting of convenience food around their mouths/jowels.

*More accurately: sexually frustrated. These people don't seem to realize that the reason members of the opposite sex (and society in general) reject them has more to do with their lack of personal hygiene than anything else.

Do you know somebody complained to me for mentioning this on another forum. They said I should be sympathetic as these stinkers could be suffering from mental illness which means that they have poor hygiene.

ZenArcade

I've been a manager for years and boy is this a sensitive subject.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Definitely Not Mister Pops

To be fair now, I did add a qualifier, when I referred to those people, I only meant the worst of us nerds, the kind of nerd who considers themselves the gatekeepers of fandom. The kind of nerd that slut-shames* female cosplayers. The kind of nerd that asks you questions so that you may prove you're a true fan**. The kind of nerd that perpetuates the notion that nerds in general lack any sort of social grace. The kind of nerd that ruins it for the rest of us.

#Notallnerds

* A bit of a oxymoronic misnomer. Surely if someone really is a slut, they have no shame.

**This is nonsense, only one person gets to decide if you're a fan of something (hint:it's yourself)
You may quote me on that.

Frank

If you're the guy in the room who thinks nobody stinks, it's you who's reeking of BO.