Main Menu

Favorite comics

Started by ukdane, 15 June, 2002, 01:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukdane

Ok Gang,
What are your favorite NON 2000ad related BRITISH comics- past and present?
Why?
Cheers

-Daney

Wood

Warrior and Deadline. Obvious, but there we are.

Mangamax

ACTION - when it started anyway - just the sort of thing for a growing 13 year old.
POW - For Grimly Fiendish and other brilliant Leo Baxendale creations.
BATTLE - I was a fan of Ezquerra back then and didn't even know it.
WHIZZER AND CHIPS & SHIVER AND SHAKE - Don't know if it'd be a case of "memory cheats" but i loved them when i was little.
Don't remember the titles but i recall being a fan of THE STEEL CLAW, KELLYS EYE, BILLY THE CAT and anything drawn by ERIC BRADBURY - boy, could that guy do some creepy strips.
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

paulvonscott

Okay, not that I read a lot of comics anymore...

Those I do read I have to ask myself if I'm reading it for nostalgia (Battle, Action, Scream, Eagle) where a handful of good strips are actually surrounded by crap, floating like bits in marmalade, but I keep telling it myself they are bygone gems of a forgotten age.

The genuinely good, 2000AD in the eighties, Warrior.  Something abut warrior appeals to me, its that big chunky magazine thing that gets me going.  The idea that I'm holding in my hand something substantial.  So print it big and chunky and I'll read it.  I hate American comic book format, it's like comparing album covers to cd covers. One is art, the other is a small coloured square.

Comics I want to like, 2000AD Now and Deadline which are/were obviously not written for me, but I try to enjoy what I can.

Nothing current apart from AD, (and the Megazine, which at the moment scores higher than AD) I keep meaning to try Com.X or whatever they are called, but I forget everytime I go near a comic shop and I'm not buying Gaymes Workshop's Nazi Flavoured Crap.

Oh and Zarjazz, which I wish was out at least every month.  It's big and meaty and the british comic I've enjoyed reading the most, and thank god I can read something with some enthusiasm and ideas in it.

Aaron Smurf Murphy

Lazarys Churchyard and Tank Girl are all time greats it has to be said. Someone should really release another Deadline/BLAST! type thing. It could actually work with all the comic films doing the rounds at the moment.

Finnigan

jdmobius

Action and Battle are by far my favourites next to 2000AD, but I also had a soft spot for Tiger and Victor in the late seventies. One of my most vivid childhood memories is reading the copy of Action where Hookjaw bites off Rick Mason's head, the obvious hero of the strip being killed. Gave me nightmares for days! The feeling was repeated in the final panels of Flesh Book One where the paeleontologists are having dinner inside the skeleton of Old One Eye and one of them gets killed, but it just wasn't quite as shocking as Action.

By the way, I was under the impression that Eric Bradbury and Ian Gibson were the same artist, just that he calls himself Eric Bradbury when he draws in that style. Anybody know if this is true or not?

paulvonscott

No,no,no,no,no!  That cannot be true!

eggonlegs

luther arkwright, the spiral cage, crisis,

wrighty47

Commando - A British institution. Great war stories and the best value in comics then and now.

Warlord - the first UK weekly that showed a harder edge and introduced a new wave of Uk creators. Paved the way for Battle/Action/'tooth etc.

Action - the original 36 issue run. Superb variety in stories. Looks dated now but really kicked down the door for UK comics and frightened the establishment like no other British comic. Influenced a whole generation.

Starlord - Short lived, but provided us with some classic characters.

Warrior - The best mature British comic ever. V For Vendetta & Marvelman have never been bettered in their respective genres.

Kane - superb cop drama/comedy that stand out in the modern comic book market. No more issues are planned but there will be more OGN's

Jack Staff - (Dancing Elephant Press) Wonderful, fun issue that pays homage to all the classic UK comic weeklies. Moving to Image Comics after Christmas.

The O Men - The best small press super-hero book currently being published. Similar in style to Morrison's X-Men.

Cla$$war (Com.X) - showing the American's that there is still life in the mature, dark, super-hero title. Shame it's only 6 issues long.

Alan!

JimBob

Battle, great when I was 8, and still holds up now. Ah Rat Pack, how you're missed.
 Eagle, lots of distinct phases here photo story mentalism, beautifully painted Dan Dare scripts, the Grant/Bradbury Doomlord, amidst a lot of crap.
 Commando, Starblazer complete stories in each issue, satrblazer seriously underated IMHO although the memory may be lying.
 Doctor Who magazine strips, there was some glorious black and white art here, and the strip is strangely never mentioned amongst comic fans, despite the fact it was often better than the series that spawned it.

Jim_Campbell

"Starblazer complete stories in each issue, satrblazer seriously underated IMHO although the memory may be lying. "

ISTR that a certain Grant Morrison cut his teeth on Starblazer ...

"Doctor Who magazine strips, there was some glorious black and white art here, and the strip is strangely never mentioned amongst comic fans"

Oh yeah ... I remember when it launched ... Wagner, Mills and Gibbons on the lead strip and some fairly splendid back up stories.

It grieves me to think that there are comic readers who judge Steve Moore on 'Tales of Telguuth' when this is the man who, with Steve Dillon and David Lloyd on art, gave us Absolm Daak: Dalek Killer ...

Not to mention a superbly barking rendition of Tom Baker's Doctor by Mike McMahon, if memory serves.

Great stuff!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dean

Blimey am I the only one here who enjoyed Mighty World of Marvel, Spider Man Comics Weekly, Avengers, Planet of the Apes, Dracula Lives, Superheroes, Savage Sword of Conan, Titans, Captain Britain, Fury, Star Wars, The Complete Fantastic Four, Rampage, Hulk Comic etc etc

Oh I also loved Battle, and a little bit of Warlord, Bullet & Action, but those British Marvel reprints were really what I cut my teeth on, surely it wasn't just me.

Buddy

Nothing has or will match WARRIOR - it was fantastic. The sooner Des Skinn revives that one the better - I see A1 is returning, it was a sort of Warrior type thing (chech ximoc.co.uk for more info) perhaps this will lead to Warrior returning.

Link: http://www.ximoc.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.ximoc.co.uk

JimBob

I liked the Moore/Delano/Davis Captain Britain, but only read it as reprints. Also liked the first series of Knights of Pendragon, although the sequel was awful. Disliked the Overkill(?) comic Marvel UKs attempt to go toe to toe with tooth. Apart from that I'm quite interested in what the last launch of a traditional adventure comic was in Britain.The last one I can remember was Overkill and before that the woeful Wildcat. Am I missing any out?

JimBob

I know this is an unpopular view but apart form Marvelman, V and the Bojeffries saga I thought Warrior was pretty ropey, particularly toward the end.
 On the subject of V it's always surprised me that the intellectual left in the 80s were always giving warnings of future facist governments whlst seeming to have completely overlooked such kindly Soviet ideas as the Gulag.That said I enjoyed V and found it touching in places, and it's certainly one of Moores best works.