Main Menu

Comic Boxes, and how many...

Started by Funt Solo, 27 April, 2008, 05:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Has anyone here ever figured out how many comic boxes they'd need for a full collection of 2000AD and the Megazine, and also if any of them need to be different sizes, and also where to get them from?

If you have, can you tell me?

(This will save me figuring it out for myself.)

---

As an aside, anyone remember how much the last "entire 2000AD" went for on E-bay?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

scutfink

Where to find them is easy, Forbidden Planet do them Mail order. I think you should be able to fit all the various sizes of 2tth in the 'magazine' sized boxes (they may even call them 2000ad size). IIRC you can fit around 200 comics in one box, so call it 15 boxes for 2th with specials etc, and another 2(/) for the Meg...

Where are you keeping your Annuals/Yearbooks Revolvers and Crisis?

- The All-Knowing Trash-Heap knows all...

:)

Funt Solo

::"Where are you keeping your Annuals/Yearbooks Revolvers and Crisis?"

Just after I'd posted, I thought "but wait - what about all the..."

I guess that means more boxes.  There's the annuals, yearbooks, sci-fi specials, JD megas, winters, revolvers, crisis, extremes (although I've not renewed my sub on those) and various trades.

I guess a total of 19 or 20 boxes should cover everything.  That's nuts.

Whoo - that's £100 on boxes.  

---

It's a dilemma, what to do with them.  They're not coming to the US with me, because I'd need to save up to spend that much on shipping - so it's a choice between storage (free, with my brother), and selling them.

Now, if I store them, they just sit there, and then one day I die, and someone will inherit 20 boxes of decaying comic that are probably available as a free brain download.

If I sell them, I'll have pangs about doing so, from time to time - but it's not like I ever get a chance to enjoy them.

Hrum...what would Treebeard do, eh?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

I, Cosh

Hrum...what would Treebeard do, eh?

Nothing too hasty, that's for sure.
We never really die.

IndigoPrime

My full set of 2000 AD currently fits into under eight of the full-size comic boxes.

scutfink

those must be longer boxes than the ones FP sell, the ones I've got are only about a metre or so long...

You might find cheaper boxes if you shop around a little, there's a guy who does the Manchester comics fairs who sells them for a couple of quid cheaper...

but £95 is still a pretty hefty wedge...

Roger Godpleton

Has it occurred to you that your brother may just sell your comics when you're gone?
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

IndigoPrime

I got the ones linked to below. I got ten in all, which cost 43 quid and housed all my 2000 ADs and Megs. Good service from Incognito, slightly scuppered by Parcelforce being their usual incompetent selves and taking ages to deliver my purchase.

Link: http://www.incognitocomics.co.uk/stocksingle.aspx?STOCK=104295001&CATEGORY=11010001" target="_blank">Incognito comic boxes

ming

Have you checked out the shipping option?  It may not be as bad as you think, and I'm sure you can just get a cubic metre rate (that's what I did when moving all my crap from Canada back to Norway, anyway).  I just boxed stuff up, the shipping company shrink-wrapped it onto pallets and off it went.  The more cubic metres of crap, er, quality stuff you ship, the cheaper the rate.

ming

To clarify, I was talking about sea-freight.  Takes a while, but if you're in no hurry... Heh, I can picture the 2000AD logo burning it's way through the sides of the boxes during transit, like the Ark in Raiders.  I air-freighted stuff to Canada as well, which was surprisingly cheap.

Funt Solo

Thanks all.

That 43 quid option sounds more like my cup of tea.

With shipping, I'm already moving whatever else my life simply can't do without, and, I don't know - shipping 2000 (2000AD) comics seems a bit extravagent - although if I don't I do need to drive them to the Isle of Lewis (to my bro's place).

Sea-freight is fine by me - there's no hurry to get most of my stuff over there.  I've been looking at a company called excess-baggage.com, who seem to base it on number of boxes, rather than total dimensions.  Maybe I need to spend some time shopping around, although I like the sound of their door-to-door service.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

ming

I used American Baggage (link below); I dropped stuff off with them in Montreal and it arrived at the door in Norway, although I guess they (and most companies) do the full door-to-door thing. Anyway, I had a look and they seem to do a UK to USA service (bottom right on the link below). Maybe worth sending them a quick e-mail; it's all a bit of a hassle, really - maybe you should just send us all a few Progs each ;-)

Link: http://www.discount-shipping.net/" target="_blank">American Baggage

Banners

You can get cheap boxes from Ikea - which fit the size pre Prog 520 - for 49p each.

M@

Queen Firey-Bou

bah, wine boxes free lying around supermarkets are a good size, you'd need around 40+ ?

Leigh S

the watcher Method requires the following magazine boxes, but is nicely and supremely geekily split into neat eras. you could arguably squeeze more into each, but then you lose the neatness!

box 1 is progs 1 to 177
box 2 is progs 178 to 334
box 3 is progs 335 to 519
box 4 is progs 520 to 699
box 5 is progs 700 to 849
box 6 is progs 850 to 999
box 7 is progs 1000 to 1173
box 8 is progs 1174 to 1370
box 9 is progs 1371 to 1566
box 10 is just started!

I've even got a nice A4 sheet of stickers with the appropraite logos on them if anyones interested

Then theres 3 boxes for Megazines (I think), and a 2 boxes for specials, tornados, Starlords and various other odds and ends.