Main Menu

Are we all looking at the same photos here or what?

Started by Judge Cassidy, 09 February, 2011, 08:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 11 February, 2011, 09:50:18 AM
Yes, the old "I'm not allowed have a negative opinion/everyone is against me/I'm being censored" whine really means "don't criticise me just because I haven't thought my sweeping comments through and I haven't realised the irony of my printed words about not being allowed my opinion".

I imagine stage two is just around the corner, where simply having a better argument than the other person is redefined as "bullying".
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

strontium71

Right Jim , that's it - after school , you and me . I'm gonna duff you up!
...because I hate you.

Grimmyx22

Have i clicked on the wrong thread? I like Judge Dredd i do me.

IndigoPrime

On the merge front, merging two ongoing threads of this sort will just cause a mess, so I don't think any mod's likely to do so.

mogzilla

Quote from: Judge Cassidy on 11 February, 2011, 02:04:43 AM
Quote from: mogzilla on 10 February, 2011, 07:16:58 PM
There are a lot of trolls appearing on this forum who claim to be fans but all they post is negative bollocks

So fans are not allowed to have a negative opinion of the new film or else they're not really fans...is that how it works?

oooh,little paranoid aren't we?
who said it was you? fans can be negative trolls just come and well,troll and their "opinion" isnt relevant is all.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Is there a name for a self righteous git who goads trolls? ;)
You may quote me on that.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: pops1983 on 12 February, 2011, 12:17:50 AM
Is there a name for a self righteous git who goads trolls? ;)

That would probably be me.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Kerrin

Misanthrope

Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

rattycole

I have only seen a couple of stills so far. Going from those, whilst the uniform doesn't look like your classic Dredd, I personally think it strikes the right balance between the classic look and a more practical riot police look.

Can't really tell enough to have an opinion one way or another from the shot of the Law Master. The wheels certainly looked chunky enough and the machine guns looked cool but you can't tell much else due to the angle of the shot. So, I'm going to keep an open mind until I have at least seen a trailer.

From what I hear John Wagner is happy, so that's good enough for me  :o

radiator

QuoteThe wheels certainly looked chunky enough and the machine guns looked cool but you can't tell much else due to the angle of the shot.

Agreed - the photo was taken from head height, so we're looking down on the bike, making it appear much small than it is - hence the 'scooter/lawnmower' comments. Shot from a low angle it will look much better.

Jared Katooie

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 February, 2011, 10:57:13 AM
On the merge front, merging two ongoing threads of this sort will just cause a mess, so I don't think any mod's likely to do so.

There's no need to merge them anyway. A thread like this is useful as a sort of pressure valve to reduce the negativity on the official movie thread. Probably.

In answer to your question Judge Cassidy, I don't like the new uniform or the bike, and several others have said the same on the movie threads.

I was dissapointed but I've accepted the movie will be what it will be. I might even go see it, 'cos I'm dead magnanimous.

vzzbux

Quote from: rattycole on 12 February, 2011, 01:41:52 PM
The wheels certainly looked chunky enough and the machine guns looked cool but you can't tell much else due to the angle of the shot.

Machine Guns? Machine Guns?
That would be Bike Cannon.

Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Tiplodocus

Surely the ultimate test, for all those people saying "Oooh the uniform isn't right - this film will be crap" or "That bike is laughable, this film will be crap" is to imagine the '95 effort, perfectly rendered with an absolutely spot on uninform and a spot on bike and ask yourself, "Would that have made the filme good?".  I think you'll find, that the answer is "No".

So you might as well wait and see.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

MarsHottentot

Hello everyone!  This is only my second post (the first being in the Introductions thread), but I've been lurking all week reading most of these and feel like I can contribute.

First, I think the people they have working on the film are VERY capable and maybe of a higher caliber than one would expect for a pulp sci-fi / comic book adaptation.

Anthony Dod Mantle - Cinematographer.  Okay, first off - the man is an Oscar winner for his work on 'Slumdog Millionaire'.  He's done a LOT of gritty, intense work from Harmony Korine's skin crawler 'Julien Donkey-Boy' to the Idi Amin biopic 'The Last King Of Scotland' to Lars Von Trier's last adult horror 'Anti-Christ'.  Regardless of what you think of these films, they are visually stunning and wholly unique each one.  So visually it's a safe bet that 'Dredd' is going to look absolutely amazing and likely grim as all get out.

Mark Digby - Production Designer
.  Also an alum of 'Slumdog Millionaire' as well as 'Dredd' producer / writer Alex Garland's '28 Days Later' and this years lite sci-fi Oscar bait, 'Never Let Me Go'.  He also did the brainy George Clooney action / drama 'The American'.  Hollywood mainstay this guy ain't.  I have a feeling his Id will just be let loose here.

"But Mars" you may be thinking "These people have their dark indie / art house credentials down, sure, but what about the Ultra Violence?"

Well, let's look at the assistant directors and see where they're coming from.

First assistant director Lee Grummet and second assistant director Jo Tew both worked on 'Sherlock Holmes'.  First assistant director: second unit Dale Butler and second assistant director: second unit Christo van Schalkwyk both worked on 'Doomsday'.  Certainly that's pretty capable in the boom / explode / exploding body part category, no?

I haven't seen anything by director Pete Travis, but the rest of the crew have a pretty impressive filmography.  I'm betting 'Dredd' is going to be HEAVY.

Okay, so onto the uniform and Lawmaster.  I think they're supposed to go hand in hand.  If you look at the original Judge Dredd - he's modeled after Frankenstein from 'Death Race 2000', whose gear was modified from the then modern motorcycle racers suits of the 1970's.  So for his day - completely makes sense.  The new gear is using that same mindset but applied to our modern era.  Dredd's 'riot gear' is just as equally 'motor sports'.  And not just any old races but the insane high speed races.

I think it's possible that the Lawgiver we see in this picture is being driven unlike how it's going to be portrayed in the film.  It certainly doesn't seem to be going very fast.  I think the driver in the film will probably be in a leaning forward position - and that the bike will be very fast - hence the scoop in the back of the body armor for the helmet to 'aerodynamically' rest.  No, it's not all that faithful to the original, but it will probably be pretty cool anyway.

I think it's important to note what Karl Urban said about the film when looking at the images that have leaked so far.  He said it was going to be ""gritty and realistic".  I think the realism comment is the important thing here.  What if the circumstances that brought about Mega City 1 and the Judges Justice System actually did happen?  Much like the comic it would be a hell on Earth, no doubt, but it probably wouldn't be very colorful and the technological advancements would likely only be available the the very top echelons of society.  Everyone else would have to make do with the leftovers from the world before - which is why you see the bog standard vehicles and whatnot.  Any advancements the Great Unwashed will get will only serve to keep them from rising up and destroying the rich.

Speaking of which, I imagine the political subtext will be pretty stated this go 'round.

Thank you all for your kind indulgence!
"I'm Asking You...BEGGING You-My Flesh, My Blood... It's Not Too Late!  Fix It Joe! You - You And Rico - You Can Do It..." - Judge Fargo