Main Menu

Are we all looking at the same photos here or what?

Started by Judge Cassidy, 09 February, 2011, 08:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sherman Kid

Excellent post Mars, very detailed and informative - I have major reservations about the Dredd project to date ,but feel a lot more hopeful after reading your post :D

JOE SOAP

As has been pointed out before this is old-school 70's Dredd- with a bit of early Origins thrown in visually.  If Travis goes back to his Omagh style rather than Vantage point, it'll work.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 13 February, 2011, 02:40:25 PM
Excellent post Mars, very detailed and informative - I have major reservations about the Dredd project to date ,but feel a lot more hopeful after reading your post :D

What he said- welcome!

Beeks

"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

mogzilla

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 12 February, 2011, 11:33:35 PM
Surely the ultimate test, for all those people saying "Oooh the uniform isn't right - this film will be crap" or "That bike is laughable, this film will be crap" is to imagine the '95 effort, perfectly rendered with an absolutely spot on uninform and a spot on bike and ask yourself, "Would that have made the filme good?".  I think you'll find, that the answer is "No".

So you might as well wait and see.

what he said as well.

SmallBlueThing

Yeah, excellent post Mars, very well put and nicely done. I may be old and grumpy, and unwilling to change my opinions without battery being involved, but i am slightly more positive about the movie after reading that.
Still not going to see it at the cinema though!
But, excllent, yes. Welcome!
SBT

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 13 February, 2011, 03:43:39 PMStill not going to see it at the cinema though!

Does that not apply to all films though?

WHat if Dredd gets glowing/fabulous reviews both here and elsewhere?

dweezil2

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 13 February, 2011, 03:43:39 PM
Yeah, excellent post Mars, very well put and nicely done. I may be old and grumpy, and unwilling to change my opinions without battery being involved, but i am slightly more positive about the movie after reading that.
Still not going to see it at the cinema though!
But, excllent, yes. Welcome!
SBT

The cinema is the best place to experience a movie in my opinion, with the home a long way behind.
The fact that Dredd is being shot in 3D means it will lose a lot of it's impact shrunk down to TV size, even if one has a large plasma.

Cinema all the way.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

SmallBlueThing

The thing about 3D is that, as yet, no one has done anything significant with it. Unlike every other leap in filmaking technology- from sound, colour, moving cameras, zoom, editing techniques and cinemascope right up to prosthetics, animation and even cgi, new advances have given filmmakers new techniques to add to their arsenal, new ways of approaching film grammar, all of which have served to add to the complexity of the form. As yet, 3D (which has been around for nearly 60 years) has added nothing.
We need a hitchcock or similar to use the depth of field in a way that the film loses something fundamental to its structure and artistry if viewed 'flat'. So far, to my mind, they're not even close. Which is why it's a redundant gimmick. Current thinking about the effect of 3D on the health of the eye, especially in children, may well kill it dead.
SBT

MarsHottentot

Thanks all!  I've been thinking - the plot has Dredd and Anderson working their way through a block.  It would be a really clever device to have them start in the street (Low Life?) and, as they work their way up, things become less grimy / crime ridden, brighter, more livable and dignified on through to OTT hi-tech decadence that - design wise - mirrors the MC1 that we know from the comics.  

Looking at the subject matter 'Dredd''s filmmakers have done before, in addition to the locale in which they've chosen to film, this seems likely as it could be a subtle comment on our current global class system taken to it's ultimate conclusion - the elite few literally live upon the back of the destitute many.  Well, that's how I'd do it.

So 'MA-MA' is a new villain - but she's not a new style of character.  Don't be surprised when she turns out to be a text book Fattie - belly wheel and all.

For the record, the only thing I'm not crazy about on 'Dredd' is the 3D.  I'm getting old, my eyesight ain't what it used to be and 3D doesn't really do much but distract me.  Won't stop me from seeing it, though.
"I'm Asking You...BEGGING You-My Flesh, My Blood... It's Not Too Late!  Fix It Joe! You - You And Rico - You Can Do It..." - Judge Fargo

Steve Green

I'm sure it's been posted before, but Walter Murch makes a good point about 3D

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/01/post_4.html

I feel sorry for the compositors working in 3D, it can't be good for the eyes.

MarsHottentot

Yeah, that's a great article.  The follow up about Maxivision48 (film process shoots at 48 fps versus the current 24.  "The most important innovation in cinema in the last half-century." - Martin Scorsese) is pretty depressing in that it will likely never happen.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/01/more_than_ever_the_future_of_f.html
"I'm Asking You...BEGGING You-My Flesh, My Blood... It's Not Too Late!  Fix It Joe! You - You And Rico - You Can Do It..." - Judge Fargo

Steve Green

I can sort of understand the reluctance on that though - they're fighting against decades of 24 frames per second being film reality, and faster frame rates than that are equated with home video, daytime soaps etc.

radiator

QuoteSo 'MA-MA' is a new villain - but she's not a new style of character.  Don't be surprised when she turns out to be a text book Fattie - belly wheel and all.

The impression I have got is that while Ma Ma will look quite disfigured and scary in the movie, she won't be a fattie.

As for 3d at the cinema, I remain to be convinced - it just looks blurry and lacks solidity - and I'm even less convinced about 3dTV in the home. I just don't think the tech is good enough yet - when we get really solid-looking, crystal clear, holographic 'Tri-D' style 3d, then I think we might start to see really interesting things done with it.

Regardless, I expect I'll go see Dredd in both 2d and 3d - apparently they are doing stuff in the film that has never been attempted in 3d before so that will be worth seeing.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: MarsHottentot on 13 February, 2011, 04:48:55 PM
Thanks all!  I've been thinking - the plot has Dredd and Anderson working their way through a block.  It would be a really clever device to have them start in the street (Low Life?) and, as they work their way up, things become less grimy / crime ridden, brighter, more livable and dignified on through to OTT hi-tech decadence that - design wise - mirrors the MC1 that we know from the comics.  

Looking at the subject matter 'Dredd''s filmmakers have done before, in addition to the locale in which they've chosen to film, this seems likely as it could be a subtle comment on our current global class system taken to it's ultimate conclusion - the elite few literally live upon the back of the destitute many.  Well, that's how I'd do it.

This was something I'd thought about when I'd first heard about the idea behind the Dredd screenplay, a block class system, it was a design consideration in the '95 film with those citizens living on the upper tiers of the Meg being of a higher class.

It was also something that tweaked a notion in me that Danny Boyle was going to direct (glad he didn't, I find his stuff a bit too superficial) cos he'd once expressed the notion that he wanted to do an adaptation of a JG Ballard story called High Rise of which some elements ended up in 28 Days Later.

High Rise:

QuoteThe building seems to give its well-established tenants all the conveniences and commodities that modern life has to offer: swimming pools, its own school, a supermarket, high-speed elevators. But at the same time, the building seems to be designed to isolate the occupants from the larger world outside, allowing for the possibility to create their own closed environment.
Life in the high-rise begins to degenerate quickly, as minor power failures and petty annoyances over neighbours escalate into an orgy of violence. The high-rise occupants divide themselves into the classic three groups of Western society: the lower, middle, and upper class, but here the terms are literal, as the lower class are those living on the lowest floors of the building, the middle class in the centre, and the upper class at the most luxurious apartments on the upper floors.

Also of note The Balfron Tower  Housing project:

QuoteA utopian 'community in the sky', was the dream of architect Ernö Goldfinger when he designed Balfron Tower in Poplar, East London. This may or may not be the result today, but the effort remains fascinating. The impressive tower, part of a social housing complex near the Blackwall tunnel under the Thames, keeps capturing artists' imagination

Balfron Tower featured in both High Rise and 28 Days Later.

It wouldn't be a huge leap to suggest both Garland & Boyle had discussed High Rise at some stage or that High Rise may have influenced Garland while writing the screenplay for Dredd.