Main Menu

how to do a prog slog

Started by sheridan, 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 17 January, 2020, 12:38:03 PM
I added a few bits to the 2000AD annual review, nothing major.

Today is the Judge Dredd Annual 1981: 2000 A.D.'s top sci-fi hero bursts into action!

I'd try to put something witty and concise here, but after seven (?) assorted 2000AD, Dan Dare, Starlord and Tornado annuals, perhaps it's best if this decent annual without reprinted stories speak for itself.

Appreciate the mention, and cheers on finally making it through the wilderness of Annuals! They're going to be pretty decent for the next few years!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 18 January, 2020, 03:16:58 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 17 January, 2020, 12:38:03 PM
I added a few bits to the 2000AD annual review, nothing major.

Today is the Judge Dredd Annual 1981: 2000 A.D.'s top sci-fi hero bursts into action!

I'd try to put something witty and concise here, but after seven (?) assorted 2000AD, Dan Dare, Starlord and Tornado annuals, perhaps it's best if this decent annual without reprinted stories speak for itself.

Appreciate the mention, and cheers on finally making it through the wilderness of Annuals! They're going to be pretty decent for the next few years!

That's what you think!  The Judge Dredd annual may be a beacon of light in the wilderness of twenty-year-old reprints* and pink-washed black and white strips, but I still have the Starlord and Tornado annuals to contend with - guess who's back that we thought we'd said goodbye to in the 2000AD annual 1981? - coming in my next update!

* in 1980 - sixty year old now.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 18 January, 2020, 10:33:01 AM
That's what you think!  The Judge Dredd annual may be a beacon of light in the wilderness of twenty-year-old reprints* and pink-washed black and white strips, but I still have the Starlord and Tornado annuals to contend with - guess who's back that we thought we'd said goodbye to in the 2000AD annual 1981? - coming in my next update!

* in 1980 - sixty year old now.

I've been feeling your pain recently as several early 1989 progs reprint stories from the 81 Dredd Annual. Good to now that after all these years Fox and I retain our dislike of Walter :D
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Updated the JD annual with quiz results (we did the quiz late last night so I can't remember what the actual points I got was, 66 out of 80 perhaps?.

Meanwhile, you thought that Phantom Patrol was over.  It wasn't.

Starlord Annual 1981

Never mind though - there's a sequel to Mind Wars, so it can't be all bad.  Can it?

SpaceSpinner2000

From hell's heart I stab at thee, Phantom Patrol!

sheridan

Victor Drago meets people from India and China (and that's not including the text story).  1980 stories featuring characters in the 1920s couldn't possibly feature racist caricatures, could it?  Find out in:

Tornado Annual 1981: Black Hawk, Wolfie Smith and Johnny Lawless in spine-tingling full-length picture-stories!

Back to the weekly progs tomorrow - and about time!

Aaron A Aardvark

Quote from: sheridan on 19 January, 2020, 11:12:27 AM
Updated the JD annual with quiz results (we did the quiz late last night so I can't remember what the actual points I got was, 66 out of 80 perhaps?.

Starlord Annual 1981

Never mind though - there's a sequel to Mind Wars, so it can't be all bad.  Can it?
I must have owned that Starlord Annual because I remember the cover and the Mind Wars prologue but the rest is a blank. Sounds horrible.

sheridan

Quote from: Aaron A Aardvark on 20 January, 2020, 12:56:24 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 19 January, 2020, 11:12:27 AM

Starlord Annual 1981

I must have owned that Starlord Annual because I remember the cover and the Mind Wars prologue but the rest is a blank. Sounds horrible.

It's certainly 'of it's time'.

TordelBack

I've never even seen that Tornado annual, and I've trawled my share of carboot sales - now thanks to Sheridan I'm grateful that I never have to.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 January, 2020, 01:45:55 PM
I've never even seen that Tornado annual, and I've trawled my share of carboot sales - now thanks to Sheridan I'm grateful that I never have to.

I could only recommend it to the completists ;)

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 20 January, 2020, 05:03:56 AM
From hell's heart I stab at thee, Phantom Patrol!

It did give us this Chris Weston beauty -

@jamesfeistdraws

Greg M.

Quote from: sheridan on 20 January, 2020, 11:38:20 AM
Tornado Annual 1981: Black Hawk, Wolfie Smith and Johnny Lawless in spine-tingling full-length picture-stories!

Is it me, or does Black Hawk look... well, more like White Hawk on that cover? His limbs in particular are pretty pale. Surely not a deliberate attempt to downplay his ethnicity? I sense the malign influence of Victor Drago.

sheridan

Quote from: Greg M. on 20 January, 2020, 06:41:23 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 20 January, 2020, 11:38:20 AM

Is it me, or does Black Hawk look... well, more like White Hawk on that cover? His limbs in particular are pretty pale. Surely not a deliberate attempt to downplay his ethnicity? I sense the malign influence of Victor Drago.

Not the only occasion - I mention this in one of my other blog posts but typically can't figure out which one right now!  It was one where he's the same shade as a white character...

Meanwhile, today's post:
2000AD and Tornado Prog 175: Super-charged sci-fi to smash your circuits!
Y'know what might have been an idea?  As good as that Gibbons cover is, sticking that Leach poster on the front may have been a good move, seeing as it's the last episode of the V.C.s and all...

sheridan

2000AD and Tornado Prog 176: "Attention all staff droids! Next stop the planet of Zrag!"

I hope you like Tharg stories, because there's a few coming up...

p.s. Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons do a story about a psychiatrist, though the patient doesn't wear a mask...