Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Go on, mock the afflicted, you shower.

You remind me of all my (ex) girlfriends. "Put it under the pillow; I'll smoke it in the morning," indeed! "Nobody is this cold," indeed! "It's like a travel-dildo only smaller," indeed!

Michaelwhatsname's David statue for a start - the perfect body: ripped with a full head of luxurious hair and a knob like the light switch in a bottom of the range Honda. That's just like me, that is. Well, almost - one out of three isn't terrible...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

marko10174

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 January, 2018, 11:13:22 PM
Quote from: marko10174 on 16 January, 2018, 10:59:12 PMtry to understand other peoples views, and what has led them to adhere to those views. Generalising... I thought we were passed that?

If you're happy to support a man who thinks neo-nazis are "good people" and endorses an alleged paedophile for the US Senate, I don't much care what led you to adopt that position.

"I don't like that man, I must get to know him better"  Abraham Lincoln. Fighting ignorance with ignorance doesn't work.

sheridan

Quote from: Professor Bear on 17 January, 2018, 06:58:13 PM
I think you meant to say "it's cold out."
Tuck it back in and it'll soon warm up ;)

TordelBack

Quote from: marko10174 on 17 January, 2018, 09:46:58 PM
"I don't like that man, I must get to know him better"  Abraham Lincoln. Fighting ignorance with ignorance doesn't work.

Can't punch Nazis, can't silence Nazis, now I can't even ignore Nazis...

But then this is Abe talking, the same guy who started a four year civil war over the secession of South Carolina, so I suppose I have some leeway.

(Yes, I'm aware I'm that "all true Scotsmen" applies here.  But if Nazis wear the same slacks and beanies as you, you're probably doing something wrong.)

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 January, 2018, 11:25:24 PM

Can't punch Nazis, can't silence Nazis, now I can't even ignore Nazis...

Can I still blame my farts on them?
You may quote me on that.

JayzusB.Christ

Have you spoken to all of the millions of Trump supporters? do you know them personally? I'm no Trump supporter, but I wouldn't go as far as describing them collectively as a disgrace to humanity. Try not being so dogmatic, speak to people, try to understand other peoples views, and what has led them to adhere to those views. Generalising... I thought we were passed that?

Can you help out then? I'm not joking.  I've struggled and failed to understand why people would continue to support this bigoted, self-obsessed, sociopathic man-child, in the face of all his undeniable lies, boorishness and prejudice.  The best I've heard is 'he's not Hilary Clinton'.  Not good enough for me - I really could do with a decent explanation.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

You don't support the president, our Commander in Chief and leader of the free world? What are you, some kind of anti-freedom, America-hating terrorist?

(Shoot the first one to stop clapping.)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 January, 2018, 01:32:38 PM
You don't support the president, our Commander in Chief and leader of the free world? What are you, some kind of anti-freedom, America-hating terrorist?

(Shoot the first one to stop clapping.)

How could I possibly be a terrorist? No white person from Ireland has ever planted bombs.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 18 January, 2018, 01:17:36 PMThe best I've heard is 'he's not Hilary Clinton'.  Not good enough for me - I really could do with a decent explanation.

As ever with right wingers, just look at what they're raging at to find an explanation for their behavior.  In Trump's case, it's "fake news" and "the social media bubble" wherein Trump's supporters maintain themselves in an alternate reality created by right wing media outlets and alt-right social media celebrities - most Alabama voters, for example, didn't even know Republican Roy Moore had been accused of sexual assault by nine separate women (some of whom were children at the time).  Trump's spokesmen openly lie because they know the truth won't get an airing.

JayzusB.Christ

Another one - 'I love the fact that he's not a politician'.

Now, nobody is saying that politicians have an honourable profession.  But on the other hand - 'We've got one of the schoolkids to take the place of the bus driver. He can't drive, obviously, but I love the fact that he's not a bus driver.'

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Professor Bear on 18 January, 2018, 03:00:53 PMAs ever with right wingers, just look at what they're raging at to find an explanation for their behavior.  In Trump's case, it's "fake news"
Worse, a recent poll (yes, I know) has over 4 in 10 Republicans believing accurate but negative news was "fake news". We're all screwed.

The Legendary Shark

We're only screwed if we keep on supporting a system that provides us with these sociopaths.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 January, 2018, 04:01:00 PM
We're only screwed if we keep on supporting a system that provides us with these sociopaths.

Of course the system is heavily flawed.  But smashing the system doesn't happen overnight, and in the meantime while decent and well-meaning people aren't voting on principle, selfish bigots are heading straight down the voting booths and elect the worst of the worst.
I know we've been over this time and time again, sorry, but I think it's worth repeating.  While the lefties and liberals were listening to Russell Brand on his non-voting soapbox a few years back, Cameron was sailing comfortably into number 10.  So Russell Brand changed his mind.

The Legendary Shark

The system doesn't need to be smashed. It needs to be stripped of every right and power that the rest of us don't have - most crucially, the right to instigate violence. All that's needed is for everyone to be under the same law, with the same rights and the same responsibilities. I don't think that's an unreasonable desire for any society.

For example, in his Nine Principles of Policing, Robert Peel included at #7 the words: "To maintain at all times a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and that the public are the police, the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence."

But the police are not simply citizens in uniform any more. They have slowly morphed into a body of men and women who have been convinced that they are not mere citizens any more. They are "super-citizens" with more rights and powers than the rest of us, chiefly concerned no longer with "the interests of community welfare and existence," but now fixated on policing the status quo.

This is what undue authoritarian power does, it takes good ideas and useful institutions and, through the bestowing of illusory rights and powers and the aggrandisement of favoured participants, bends them to its will. I want my police, and all my public servants, to be equal with the rest of us. After all, isn't this what most people believe is the case anyway?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 18 January, 2018, 03:23:27 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 18 January, 2018, 03:00:53 PMAs ever with right wingers, just look at what they're raging at to find an explanation for their behavior.  In Trump's case, it's "fake news"
Worse, a recent poll (yes, I know) has over 4 in 10 Republicans believing accurate but negative news was "fake news". We're all screwed.

This ... this .... this .... this here!!!!! This is the reality of Trump's crime; not just against the US but the whole world.  Anything that one chooses to disagree with is now 'fake news'.  What was once the sole purview of the tinfoil hat brigade is now the political dictator's rebuttal de jure.  Trump has becoming the living embodiment of the old axiom; repeat a lie often enough and people will believe it.