Main Menu

Texas City

Started by Sandman1, 06 September, 2017, 05:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 11 September, 2017, 12:19:23 AM
Quote from: Frank on 10 September, 2017, 11:53:25 PM
Every Empire Falls was about a megalomaniac Texan Chief Judge who wanted to reunite Texas and MC1, which would be an odd ambition for a state that had fought a (successful) war to achieve the exact opposite.

Chief Judge Oswin's real plan was one of conquest over a newly weakened state rather than a reunification in ideological terms for old times' sake.

Knox says most of the TC judges didn't know what Oswin had planned. They - and presumably Oswin's equivalent of the council of five - went along with the mutual aid pact despite the civil war?

Like I say, there's no reason a civil war couldn't have happened ...

13school

Quote from: Dandontdare on 08 September, 2017, 04:26:49 PM

I always thought that the wraparound cover was supposed to depict the war between the judges and Booth's forces in Death Valley.

Yeah, I always thought The Cursed Earth made it clear that there was first the Atom War between the USA and everyone else under Booth, then after the Judges rose up there was a civil war between the Judges and the USA forces still loyal to Booth. An open conflict between the government and forces looking to overthrow the government is about as civil war-ish as it gets.

Robin Low

Quote from: Frank on 11 September, 2017, 12:39:56 AM
Every Empire Falls was about a megalomaniac Texan Chief Judge who wanted to reunite Texas and MC1, which would be an odd ambition for a state that had fought a (successful) war to achieve the exact opposite.

Chief Judge Oswin's real plan was one of conquest over a newly weakened state rather than a reunification in ideological terms for old times' sake.

Knox says most of the TC judges didn't know what Oswin had planned. They - and presumably Oswin's equivalent of the council of five - went along with the mutual aid pact despite the civil war?

It's worth remembering too that the civil war that's imagined here would have happened over 40 earlier, perhaps over 50 years earlier. That's a lot of water under the bridge. It's also likely that it was both short lived and resolved, eventually, diplomatically. After all, by 2099 the three cities are sharing control over Luna 1 on a six-monthly rotation.

Regards,

Robin

JOE SOAP

It's outcome would also depend on what it was fought over: independence seems a bit after-the-fact since it could be argued national fragmentation had all ready happened in 2070, and Mega City Two seemed to secede and go autonomous without a schmozzle, so it could be a conflict over share of resources, jurisdiction boundaries or the production of hats.

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 11 September, 2017, 12:39:56 AM

Like I say, there's no reason a civil war couldn't have happened ...

After the earthquakes a decade or two ago Greece and Turkey managed to put aside their differences and started sending aid to each other - and that was after thousands of years of conflicts!

sheridan

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 11 September, 2017, 08:34:53 PM
It's outcome would also depend on what it was fought over: independence seems a bit after-the-fact since it could be argued national fragmentation had all ready happened in 2070, and Mega City Two seemed to secede and go autonomous without a schmozzle, so it could be a conflict over share of resources, jurisdiction boundaries or the production of hats.

There are a lot of farms in the Cursed Earth between the two cities...

Dandontdare

I'm still a little vague how MC1 Justice Dept was in a position to choose the next TC chief judge given that the whole plot was made possible by MC1's relative weakness

The Adventurer

Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 September, 2017, 11:12:40 PM
I'm still a little vague how MC1 Justice Dept was in a position to choose the next TC chief judge given that the whole plot was made possible by MC1's relative weakness

Telepathy.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

malkymac

Quote from: sheridan on 07 September, 2017, 01:17:20 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 07 September, 2017, 01:12:56 PM
Quote from: glassstanley on 07 September, 2017, 11:42:57 AM
I think it was first mentioned in the first Luna-1 story, in which it was a signitory to the Luna-1 treaty under the name of Mega-City Three. The retcon to the name only appeared in an annual text feature I *think* and so has never made it into the actual strip.

Sure I've read (possibly in an annual feature) that it was planned to be called Mega-City Three, but there was resistance.  There's also that McMahon gatefold cover, 'a scene from the civil war' (paraphrasing the title slightly).

...or I could look it up on Barney, which only took a minute or two:

Prog 169

A scene from the civil war in post-atomic America.

I had the impression the war was between TC and MC1, but there's nothing conclusive in that picture.

Well Dredd in blue Uniform is shooting at Judges in grey uniform carrying a flag which has a very similar design to the confederate battle flag. I think you can infer quite a lot from that.

malkymac

Texas city might be using mutants as slave labour and MC1 uses this as an excuse to go to war and take some of their resources off them.

Frank

Quote from: Robin Low on 11 September, 2017, 08:12:34 PM
... by 2099 the three cities are sharing control over Luna 1 on a six-monthly rotation.

Mega City Two seemed to secede and go autonomous without a schmozzle

See, I would say those are two reasons to suppose that one caption on an old cover is just guff. I like the idea it might have been about hats, though.

rogue69

Leigh S, Pat did say in Be Pure & has said before that the cover was drawn as an idea for a story for a civil war between different factions of Judges but they did not write the story I think he said that John Wagner was due to write this but he was busy on another series or something so it got shelved

Proudhuff

The UN-Civil war (as it is called in Pat Mills' yet to be released 'How I created everythin!' was definitely about hats, Also I saw a cap-tion about it 30 years ago by some sub-Ed from the Bunty, so it must be true.
DDT did a job on me

Sandman1

The whole strife between the two megacities isn't so explicated, a bit too ambiguous. If you want a somewhat perspicuous depiction of Texas City, the best sources seems to be Every Empire Falls, The Judge Child Quest and probably TC Sting.
Error...