Main Menu

Whos Birthday

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 05 July, 2010, 07:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul faplad Finch

Right, this may be old news to those of you who scour 100+ sites a day for the slightest tidbit. On the other hand I may have dreamed it because I can't remember where I got the idea. Anyway, I'm sure I've heard some vague rumors that the beeb are contemplating a possible multi Doctor story to celebrate the 50th anniversary during the 2013 season. If true it's heartening to see them confident of the shows longevity, if nothing else.

Even if it's total bollocks though, it got me to thinking.

I've been going over it and I don't know how I feel about a traditional multi Doctor story. All I'm seeing are problems. All of the originals have aging and/or being dead problems hampering their suitability (except McGann who isn't really 'iconic' enough I wouldn't have thought) and also have the added disadvantage of the newer audience probably not caring about them in the slightest.

If we discount them though, we are left with Ecclestone and Tennant. I'm assuming that Smith will still be current. Given Ecclestones ambivalence  I'd be surprised if he was up for it so we're left with Tennant. Smith/Tennant in a Two Doctors situation is hardly an earthshattering concept to me I'm afraid.

What do you think? Will they do a multi Doctor? Should they? If not, what would be the best way to celebrate?

Can I just say, for some reason, typing 2013 in a near contemporary context felt weird. Sounded weird when I read it back too. Still seems like that should be the far future. Maybe it's just me.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Colin YNWA

For the reasons you allude to e.g. it'd just be Smith and Tennant I'd say no... well unless there was some clever CGI way around it... no even that sucks.

The trouble with multiple Doctor stories is to date they've all been poor.

vzzbux

You have the two bakers, McCoy, Davidson as well.
Plot: The Master has prevented the Incidents in which caused them to die and regenerate causing some sort of Timey Wimey paradox sending each into an aged universal bubble involving all sorts of miss-haps. Having them living for ages they have naturally aged thus their current state.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

House of Usher

Smith and Tennant would be enough to carry the day, I'm sure. Imagine the looks on teh childrenz faces!
STRIKE !!!

vzzbux

You could have Ecclestone Dr kicking shit out of Tennant Dr whist constantly repeating 'What have you done to me'.

V
Drokking since 1972

Dandontdare

Bizarrely I was pondering this question just last night when I watched an old VHS of the Five Doctors from one of those BBc2 theme nights.

Given the time gap, and the fact that most previous doctors are too old, too fat, dead or unwilling, the only way it would work would be lots of cgi tomfoolery - I'm thinking of that DS9 tribbles episode where they used bits of the original Kirk story. The story would have to be written to fit the available technology and clips; but I'm sure they could come up with enough useful sound bites to edit into something that halfway makes sense (Wait, what am I saying, that's never been a priority in Nu-who!)

Grant Goggans

Just recast the Doctors whose actors are dead, too old or disinterested.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 05 July, 2010, 10:19:56 PM
Just recast the Doctors whose actors are dead, too old or disinterested.
Kind of defeats the object though. The 5 docs was somewhat diminished by the William Hartnell not-very-look-a-like. And the clumsy write-around to cover Tom Baker's sulk.

vzzbux

Sean Pertwee could have a look in. A nice white wig would suit well

Any need for CGI?

V
Drokking since 1972

Grant Goggans

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 July, 2010, 10:24:16 PM

Kind of defeats the object though. The 5 docs was somewhat diminished by the William Hartnell not-very-look-a-like. And the clumsy write-around to cover Tom Baker's sulk.

Well, the Eleven Doctors will have to have an even clumsier write-around to cover seven or eight of them.  And I think Hurndall did a good First Doctor.

Seriously, Spider-Man, James Bond and Sherlock Holmes get recast every few years.  Big Finish recast Sapphire and Steel.  The BBC are shooting themselves in the feet not doing this before now.

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 July, 2010, 09:57:45 PM
Bizarrely I was pondering this question just last night when I watched an old VHS of the Five Doctors from one of those BBc2 theme nights.

Given the time gap, and the fact that most previous doctors are too old, too fat, dead or unwilling, the only way it would work would be lots of cgi tomfoolery - I'm thinking of that DS9 tribbles episode where they used bits of the original Kirk story. The story would have to be written to fit the available technology and clips; but I'm sure they could come up with enough useful sound bites to edit into something that halfway makes sense (Wait, what am I saying, that's never been a priority in Nu-who!)

Trouble with Tribbles was an excellent episode and very well cut together both in terms of direction and also film quality not to mention dialogue interwoven with the original story.

If they could pull off such a feat without making it too confusing then that could work really well.

And the timey wimey last episode proves that the GranD Moff could do it. Excellent idea DanDontDare. Im all for this. :)

And why not stick a Doctor in there thats never been seen before!
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: House of Usher on 05 July, 2010, 08:39:11 PM
Smith and Tennant would be enough to carry the day, I'm sure. Imagine the looks on teh childrenz faces!

Yeah, maybe I am coming from it the wrong way. Smith/Tennant for me is nothing special but to the average little sprog it could well give them their first ever nerdgasm.

I watch the show often with my nephew and he still prefers my Tennant DVDs to the new series, just because Tennant is the only Doctor he's ever known. I feel really old, I can tell you, when I realise that there's a generation of fans too young to remember Ecclestone.

Quote from: JudgeGumpty on 05 July, 2010, 10:47:51 PM
And why not stick a Doctor in there thats never been seen before!

I like this. I reckon it should be saved for Smiths last season though.

Have a mysterious stranger crop up in a few episodes over the course of the series, helping out the companion but never meeting the Doctor. Then in the finale, Tennant and Smith meet. Then they get seperated and Tennant hooks up with the mysterious stranger. Tennant knows this guy is a fture incarnation (am I right that they can always recognise themselves on instinct?), but not which incarnation.

As the Smith and Tennant storylines are about to converge again at the end, the stranger leaves, sayinh he can't be around for whatt happens next. Tennant/Smith reunite + beat the big bad buyt Smith dies in the process, becoming mysterious stranger man.

If they stick to the Davies template, 2013 would be about the right time for Moffat to be winding down as well, so it would be the ultimate time travel thing for him to bow out on.

I've changed my mind, bring on the multi Doctors.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Aaron A Aardvark

Quote from: Paul faplad Finch on 05 July, 2010, 07:57:34 PM
Anyway, I'm sure I've heard some vague rumors that the beeb are contemplating a possible multi Doctor story to celebrate the 50th anniversary during the 2013 season.

As a long-term fan I shudder at the thought.

TordelBack

Quote from: JudgeGumpty on 05 July, 2010, 10:47:51 PM
Trouble with Tribbles was an excellent episode and very well cut together both in terms of direction and also film quality not to mention dialogue interwoven with the original story.

And had Terry Farrell in an OS mini-dress!

I'd love to see NuWho attempt something like this.   Karen Gillan in Leela's leathers, for example.

Nah, seriously, seeing the new guys scurrying about in the background of Ark of Time, Inferno or City of Death pursuing their own plot would be terrific.  

(A Former Trek Obsessive Writes:  The episode in question  was called 'Trials and Tribble-ations')

chilipenguin

I've been clamouring for a multi doctor story for ages! It's not out of the question IMO. Tennant clearly loved the role and I reckon he'd do it in a heartbeat. Ecclestone would be an issue but I'm sure there are ways and means of getting him back on board. Paul McGann has been vocal about wishing he had more time in the role (he did quite a few audio books I think). There's four. McCoy is looking pretty ancient now but I'm sure a clever story could explain that. Any further back and you start to get a bit too complicated. Davison has already appeared in a crossover story (Time Crash) so he'd probably reprise the role if needed. Colin Baker is rubbish, Tom Baker is mental and turned down the opportunity before (Five Doctors). The rest are all dead.

I'd love to see this happen. Treated well and not just as a gimmick episode and it could be awesome.