Main Menu

Doctor who: the almost people

Started by The Monarch, 28 May, 2011, 07:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogzilla

re-watching the one with the sontarans and martha jones i noticed the clone tank effect was exactly the same as the flesh tank.

chris_askham

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 29 May, 2011, 02:37:37 AM
Maybe she got abducted during the three months that she and Rory and River were running around in 1969?

That was a pretty good episode with a storming last three minutes.  Considering how the tonally similar Silurian story fell completely apart in episode two, I was pleased.

It must be sometime around then because wasn't it the first episode that Amy told the Doctor she was pregnant, and then the second said it was a false alarm?

I really enjoyed this episode, despite the killing of the Amy ganger, which could have been handled better to make it seem that it was necessary or that there was some need for it. I quite enjoyed the uncomfortable moment when the Doctor told Rory to step back - I thought it held a lot of emotional impact. Or something.

Dandontdare

Much better than the first episode, but all the monster-peril, especially big dog-lady-thing and imminent acid explosion felt like they were just tacked on, while the only real point was to set up the pregnancy story.

Slight continuity hiccup when both doctors were seen using the sonic screwdriver after they split up, and I thought that [spoiler]"The Tardis has stabilised them and made them human" plus "this vial [that I conveniently keep just under under the Tardis console here] will cure your blood clot"[/spoiler] were both rather weak and lazy ways of tying up loose ends.

Since there wasn't a 'Next Time' trailer, does that mean a mid-season break? Tsk!

Paul faplad Finch

Mid-season break comes after next weeks episode by Moffat. I'm hoping he can pull it back to go out on a high.

I think a lot of people must have made the same assumption because about 5 minutes after the episode finished Moffat was on twitter reassuring everyone that it was definitely on next week.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Bat King

Amy disappeared somewhere between [spoiler]the start of Episode 1 and when they were reunited after 'capture'.[/spoiler] Evidence being [spoiler]Pregnant/false alarm and the woman through the hatch.[/spoiler]

Top prize goes to my mate G who almost exactly predicted this before this two parter.  His idea was [spoiler]There is real Amy, pregnant locked in a cell or a secure hospital, and a clone or replica with her full memory.  The replica is getting flashes of the woman looking in because that is the brief moments real Amy is awake.[/spoiler] Which is amazingly close.  We did discuss how this was possible and ruled out [spoiler]Autons, while it is possible for an exact copy of someone to be made by the Nestene conciousness the replica is independent, the living version only required to keep the form stable.  We discussed Centurion Rory and decided they would hopefully not go there again with Amy.[/spoiler]

As to board thoughts that the Flesh was early [spoiler]Sontarans or Nestene Inteligence.  Though both have time travel, Sontarans so primitive they didn't get into the Time War and Nestene...  well that was news to me in the last Finale,[/spoiler] I don't think there is a connection as both have perfectly adequate backgrounds.  This is just a new 'monster' I think.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Grant Goggans

I like the idea that while the Sontarans do have access to time travel - as seen in their very first appearance - they never use it to gain a strategic advantage over the Rutans because changing history could wipe out glorious military victories over their hated foe.  That was reason enough to sit out the Dalek-Time Lord war.

As for the Doctor pulling the trigger in this episode, and the question of whether he morally could or should have done that, it strikes me as pretty likely that in the next episode, Rory is going to give him an earful and the Doctor will attempt to assure him that this Ganger was just a puppet, and not like the sentient Gangers that they met.

Hoagy

He [The Doctor] sounded like Jeremy Kyle at one point at the end, where he's telling Rory to back off. I almost expected to tell him to "Gedda job!"
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Colin YNWA

Caught up with this one tonight and really enjoyed it. Okay so the ending, the two people jamming the door ending was a bit contrived but that aside fantastic. The ending ending, Amy Pond bit was just superb. Loved that.

Over all a very satisfactory two parter that I really loved. Horrah

Goaty

No-one notice 4th and 10th Doctor voices at start of episode?

And it good episode, and what an ending!

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Goaty

Think [spoiler]they got Amy at end of Impossible Astronaut is when Amy realises she's pregnant...?[/spoiler]

Also like that good twist [spoiler]that Ganger Doctor was really real Doctor all times! As he swap the boots at start, Amy did tell him about his death...[/spoiler]

Proudhuff

many it was me but that was a pile of pish, lots of running, (yawn), shouted basil, (eh? what?), loud music (eh? what?), flashing roadworks lights (yawn),bad lighting (eh? what's that?)
DDT did a job on me

Professor Bear

I didn't think much of the episode, but the ending was great.  I liked how it subverted expectations of the seasoned sci-fi watcher by not being setup for the traditional episode set in an asylum where one or more characters are being tricked into thinking the events of the series are a delusion, though it did reinforce that everything that happened before was a result of a series of coincidences.

On plastic Amy being melted by the Doctor: The fake didn't have sentience as it was a conduit for the real Amy who didn't realise where she was.  Not melting her duplicate would have left the real Amy oblivious to what was being done to her.

Leigh S

Quote from: Professah Byah on 30 May, 2011, 07:54:43 PM
On plastic Amy being melted by the Doctor: The fake didn't have sentience as it was a conduit for the real Amy who didn't realise where she was.  Not melting her duplicate would have left the real Amy oblivious to what was being done to her.

Which would probably have been kinder!  And they at least would have known she was alive.  Now she's stuck in whatever hellhole she really is in with no contact between them!  Cheers, Doctor! :)

vzzbux

But if Amy is about to [spoiler]give birth then for her own safety she is better off knowing where she is and what her real situation is rather than having[/spoiler] stomach cramps and then a swollen vagina with serious pain.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.