Main Menu

MARNEY THE FOX

Started by Bad City Blue, 20 September, 2017, 04:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Bloody hell, Marney is heavy stuff! Only vaguely remembered the strip from Buster, but picked up a copy on the slim justification that the kids would read it too (which they have been doing). Absolutely gorgeous book, and I love Marney's voice, the archaic patterns work perfectly - but it's incredibly grim from the outset: they don't make em like this anymore. Very interesting intro from John Stokes too, and another quality production throughout.

You're doing truly great work Rebellion, light years from the endless game tie-ins I imagined when you first appeared!

Colin YNWA

This finally got to the top of the pile (gulp still 4 years then!) nand by George what a delight. Firstly its so, so beautiful on the eye. John Stokes not only captures the look, movement and feel of the animals he portrays but he embues them with emotion to fit the tale. And man what a tale, with sooo much emotion. Its brutal in the way of Watership Down, Ring of Brightwater and Tarka. The 70s pulled no punches to the children of Britain about just how harsh nature is.

Its chuffin' unrelenting and while it moves at Boys Own pace its really, really readable. Read like this you do get sick of the word "brute" and wonder how many time Marney will say "If the end must come made it quick" but damn its a fine read with simply stunning art.

Its on sale in the Webshop at the moment for £4.49. If you don't rush over and buy it now not only do you hate every beautiful creature in Britain's green and pleasent lands you hate your self and everyone you've ever loved... I think... buy it, its a wonder!

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

well well well, complete agreement with you colin! a tremendous story with uncannily memorable art given the handsome oversize hardback treatment it deserves. the finest and most deserving release so far from the treasury.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 20 November, 2021, 12:09:45 PM
well well well, complete agreement with you colin!

We're going to have to watch this, we've recently agreed about:

Love of Stewart Lee
Love of Ales Kot
Love of The Phoenix
Love of Shift

It will not stand - we're forming an alliance of tastes?!?

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

yeah but you know i'd take city of the damned over everything on that list.
and possibly disaster 1990 too.

i reckon that'll be the truce over, then?

sad.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 20 November, 2021, 01:33:49 PM
yeah but you know i'd take city of the damned over everything on that list.
and possibly disaster 1990 too.

i reckon that'll be the truce over, then?

sad.

Phew and to be fair I'd never forgiven you (and others, and others I have a list) for voting Dash Decent over Dept K - so ya know it was always going to be short lived!