Main Menu

What did Santa bring you?

Started by Daveycandlish, 26 December, 2021, 06:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveycandlish

Well for a comics forum there's not much chat on this topic!
Come on, what did you get for Christmas?

I blagged myself a copy of Toppi:Japan
brand new collection of the UFO comic strips from Countdown
the fan publication of Blakes 7 Annual 1982 (just released via lulu.com)
and, of course, the PARAGON annual (which I just happen to publish)

And you? What did you get?
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Funt Solo

Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari, in which he makes essentially the same argument as Alan Moore as regards the magic inherent in our ability to imagine.

In a media currently overflowing with people who use imagination almost entirely in place of reason, it's refreshing to read a text from someone who has taken the time to study their topic well.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tiplodocus

Ray Harryhousen Movie posters book. It's awesome!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jade Falcon

A 1/600 scale Charles De Gaulle aircraft carrier kit.

I bought a close friend a Charles Rennie Mackintosh brooch, she likes scottish jewellery and I try to be thoughtful when getting her something.  So I got that and a nice card.  In return, no card and socks.  To be honest I'm kinda miffed.  Socks seems almost thoughtless and I think I would have preferred a reasonable card and no present, that just seems...I don't know how to put it.

Otherwise, shit christmas and I predict the new year will be the same.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

JayzusB.Christ

Speaking as a man who lost pretty much all his possessions in a fire last August, everything was welcome. My folks bought me a telly, which was particularly generous. Got a bird feeder from my sister and a security light from my brother, for the new place I'll be moving into soon, and I was delighted.

Jade, yeah, socks is a bit shit as a present considering what you bought, but not everyone is good at buying presents.  A mate of mine used to buy us decent presents after he'd done something to really piss us off, but most of us agreed we'd have forgone the presents if he'd just stop doing shitty things, which he did. Which is a longwinded way of saying that for me at least, good friendship beats good presents every time.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

I got a bottle of Jack Daniels, a larger bottle of Jack Daniels and a smaller bottle of Jack Daniels.

Oh and some chocolates

I think my family know me too well ...

IndigoPrime

JayzusB.Christ: Sorry to hear about the fire. I must have missed that on the board. I hope you're on the mend, life-wise.

As for Santa, I won't list everything, but I did get four comics: Aster of Pan, Through the Words, The Tom Paterson HC and Stray Dogs. And my wife lied about not getting me any Lego this year, because I have a Lego Strat to put together!

Trooper McFad

A bottle of Bunnahabhain, Highland Park and Port Askaig all single malts but the only reading material I got was the complete Cam Kennedy's HC. So I'll have to purchase some more material in the new year to see me through those malts 😁

Oh and socks!

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 December, 2021, 12:06:43 PM
JayzusB.Christ: Sorry to hear about the fire. I must have missed that on the board. I hope you're on the mend, life-wise.

No bother. Total shite show at the time but things have worked out very well in the meantime.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 29 December, 2021, 05:25:51 PM
No bother. Total shite show at the time but things have worked out very well in the meantime.

That cool scar working with the chicks, then...? ;-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Rara Avis

This was maybe my best present :

Also the collected Fleabag scripts, a nice candle and a Viking style necklace.

@ Jade, I also spent more on gifts than I received. When I start to feel bitter I remind myself I bought those nice gifts because that's who I am.

Jade Falcon

It's not so much that I spent more, its just that in my opinion socks are the stereotypical lazy gift.  She might not have had much money but as I say I would rather have had nothing with a nice card, it's hard to explain.

Well, actually from some friends online I got a gift copy of Cyberpunk 2077 on PC, and some doublloons for a permanent camo for a ship in World of Warships from someone else.

One friend has his Christmas and Birthday close together so as he, like me is a Space 1999 fan I bought him the newly printed Tech manual from the Anderson store.  Got my brother (who is in a similiar situation), as they've just started doing model car kits, the Revell Dodge Charger from Fast and the Furious and some paints.  A former colleague from Oxfam got a local history book among other things.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 December, 2021, 06:36:10 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 29 December, 2021, 05:25:51 PM

That cool scar working with the chicks, then...? ;-)

I wish...  :)

Richard

I bought my sister cashmere gloves for £35. In return she got me a box of Liquorice Allsorts, not even Bassett's, and practically inedible, for probably £3 or something, and some beef jerky. Fffff.....