Main Menu

Round 1: 15 - Alan Grant or Grant Morrison - Ultimate Not Wagner Tourney

Started by Colin YNWA, 05 June, 2020, 06:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

My reasons have all been given better here by others - it's Alan Grant.
@jamesfeistdraws

Funt Solo

"I'll sing you a song and it won't take long, or maybe I won't and it will" - Last Lug to Abbo Dabbo, 1982

Alan Grant
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

AlexF

Alan Grant all day long, obviously for his partnership with Wagner but as a solo writer about half of his Andersons are amongst the most literate scripts the Prog/Meg ever published, and I like some literateness does I.

I am also in that group of readers who loved the Final Solution and couldn't quite get on with Zenith, so not much contest!
(although in the interests of fairness I do think some of Grant's later solo Dredds might actually be less fun to read than Morrison's Dredd monstrosities...)

Buttonman

Zenith and Billy Candy apart Morrison can't lace Grant's 2000ad Judge boots. Monavie's finest for me.

Ghost MacRoth

Despite Zenith being one of the best strips ever to grace the pages of the prog, Morrison has also wrote some utter pap.  So gotta go with Alan Grant for more classic tales than you can shake a daystick at.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Huey2

maryanddavid

Colin YNWA

Last call on this and indeed the first Round1 of the 2000ad writers tourney. This one has been a little more one sided than I expected it to be as both writers have written some fan favourite stuff. Last chance to get a vote that counts as we're wrapping this up in the morning (Monday) early.

TordelBack

I really love Zenith, Book 2 in particular, and despite all his sometimes obnoxious quirks I rate Morrison the writer very highly indeed. Conversely,  I find some of Grant's later work heavy-handedily preachy and rather leaden.

But when you come down to net contribution to my enjoyment of the prog,  there really is no contest. Grant has been a key part of so many great strips, his sheer wit and love of language, originality and willingness to try new tacks, his role in collaborating with and supporting others: it can only be Alan Grant.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED - but feel free to add votes and comments but the call is made.

Well here we have it the last two rounds and while this one went the way I expected it wasn't even vaguely as close as I thought it might be. I guess the difference if we have one writer who was working towards their zenith as they gave use Zenith and another who quickly reached their peak as they started and stayed around when they were a top dog dispite their success in the US. This vote goes to

Alan Grant