Main Menu

Split definitives

Started by 2000AD Online, 10 March, 2002, 06:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcrab

UGH, Robo-Hunter by Rian Hughes gets the ultimate bad artist I reckon. I'm not saying he's crap but on Robo-Hunter the style was just plain wrong. That was from some of a lot of old progs I'd gathered from a break from thrills and I couldn't believe my eyes!! Ian Gibson is the only Robo-Hunter artist I reckon.

VC's Cam Kennedy for sure.

As for Devlin, I'd have to say Steve Yeowell, cos he's great, started The Invisibles (Zenith style sort of).

As another point, I really thought the last Demarco story should have been in colour. In black and white, blood is always black. In this it was white with a black outline, which says to me that it should have been coloured.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

2000AD Online

An update from me:

ABC Warriors: Mike McMahon sneaks it from Kevin O'Neill.

Anderson Psi Division: to make my choice easier I discounted Bolland on a technicality, i.e. he never drew any of Cass's solo adventures. It would have been Brett Ewins but for the occasional swipe and Arthur Ranson's realism and page tally. Always loved his artwork in Look-In.

RoBusters: Kevin O'Neill, definitely.

Robo-Hunter and Strontium Dog only really had Ian Gibson and Carlos Ezquerra to choose from.

Even though Nathan was cheating, it's good to see Ian Kennedy get a mention for 'Dan Dare'.

nathan

Not cheating, just stoopid. Kennedy was artist on the 1980's Eagle Dan Dare, wasn't he? Duh.

Does your Bolland technicality mean I can't have McMahon for Mean Machine as he never drew the character in his own series, only in Dredd? Hmph.

N

W. R. Logan

>Nemesis:
>Definitely O'Neill, though Bryan Talbot's work on the Gothic Empire is magnificent.
I'd agree with that.

>Here's a few interesting ones:

>Robo-Hunter:
>Ian Gibson

>The VC's:
>Mike McMahon
Although that may change soon 8-)

>Devlin Waugh
>Sean Phillips

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Rex Gambill

PVS,
sorry I'm at a loss. WHat do you mean by "Bisley's legacy" etc. Did he do something harmful to 2000AD?

Rex
who is still filling holes in his collection from the time Bisley was a part of the mag

The Amstor Computer

>Although that may change soon 8-)

You hint-dropping bugger :-) I can't imagine who there is at the moment who could top McMahon's work on the VCs, though I could see Frazer Irving doing some damn good stuff in B&W... if they could Cam Kennedy back on board, he might be able to topple McMahon - it always a close run between the two.
Henry Flint might be interesting, but I don't think his style works for the VCs.

You do realise this is going to be stuck in my head for the next few days? :-)

Rex Gambill

Ah, now I see what you're getting at, in the next thread. I didn't realize you could place the blame for some of the crap painted art that's appeared in 2000AD over the years at Bisley's feet.

paulvonscott

Well, not really his fault, except in rather an oblique way.  

Mind you if you start reading Horned God at the back you'll realise that he actually started the trend for dodgy painting.

The fact that the first experiment with painted Slaine failed, would make you think that they might not bother again.

But they did.

Bugger.

O Lucky Stevie!

i don't suppose that there's any chance that this new series of vcs will be more in the vain of joe haldeman's 'forever war' (one of my absolute fave sf novels ever) than robert a. heinlein's 'staship troopers" (which i reread last year & yes, my misgivings as a 13 year old were still correct: this is quite possibly the most morally repugnant book i've ever read. little wonder that heinlein's publisher had kittens when he turned it in as a novel for the juvenile market).

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

paulvonscott

Hey, I read Starship Troopers last year.  I loved it :)  You could go around claiming Judge Dredd was morally repugnant and you may have a point, I bet it wouldn't stop you enjoying it though.

O Lucky Stevie!

>You could go around claiming Judge Dredd was morally repugnant and you may have a point, I bet it wouldn't stop you enjoying it though.

but the facist elements of dredd are both satirical & cautionary. as hard as i tried, pvs, i could find neither approach evident in 'starship troopers'.

heinlein dismisses communism in a single paragraph, yet spends a entire chapter justifying capital punishment. in in what was written as a coming of age story (by being a good soldier committing genocide) for young teenage boys.

just out of interest, have you read joe haldeman's 'forever war'? if not, i highly recommend that you do so as soon as possible. absolute cracking read.

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

O Lucky Stevie!

>Judge Dredd:
>Carlos Ezquerra
>Mike McMahon
Can't choose between these two.

wot, no brendan mccarthy?

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible

paulvonscott

Hi Steven

Cheers, I'll check that out.  The name of the book's cropped up before so I'll definitely hunt it out.

I thought Starship Troopers was a cracking read, I tried another Heinlien book and it was merely okay.

I thought the tale was an interesting example of Total War, which both sides participated in, where everything is a legitimate target.  I guess you might be referring to the allies.  Well, if it's total war and someone takes a side then I'm afraid they get vaped too.  They vaped the allies till they changed to their side.  Then I bet the aliens targetted the allies with the same intensity.  Fairly unpleasant, but that's Total War for you, even wrose than normal war, which is hell.

But basically ST uses the same arguement as Dredd.  Dredd was a kids comic remember and any 'irony' was frequently missed by it's young readers who thought Dredd was great for shooting perps and killing hundreds of millions of people.  I think a lot of the writers and editors suffered from political queasiness over Dredd.  Certainly Alan Grant refers to him as a fascist bastard.  So the arguement against Starship troopers that it was aimed at an undistinguishing and influencable youth is exactly the same one labelled at Dredd for the very same reasons.  I don't see how you can stop a kid reading Dredd while stopping them reading ST.  .  

Cheers

Paul