Main Menu

Re: reprints

Started by 2000AD Online, 19 March, 2002, 10:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

And then there's the problem of copyright. As most of us are aware, Rebellion owns 2000 AD. But what about all the other comics Fleetway published? Did Rebellion purchase those as well? And even if it did, what's the situation with regard to reprinting individual strips such as the 2000 AD / '80s Eagle versions of 'Dan Dare', seeing as the character is now owned by the Dan Dare Corporation, Ltd.?

Wood

I was under the impression that they don't. Which is a shame. I thought Doomlord and The Thirteenth Floor definitely deserve a reprint somewhere.

The Amstor Computer

"Remove his Energiser Ring and the CHAIN HIM - he must answer to the DREAD COUNCIL!"

Ha! I've got a stack of Eagle Monthly upstairs with Doomlord, Thirteenth Floor, StormForce & Computer Warrior. I loved that stuff when I was younger, and surprisingly it still holds up today.
BTW - who was "Ortiz", the artist on Thirteenth Floor? His style is similar to Carlos Ezquerra, but I don't think it's him.

nathan

Spanish comic artist Jos? Ortiz has drawn Dredd, and a fantastic version of Rogue Trooper (on Horst, I think) as well as other 2000AD strips. He is much better known than Ezquerra in the rest of Europe, particularly for famous strips like Hombre and Burton & Cyb.

I think he also drew Tower King in the early Eighties weekly Eagle.

He'd be pushing 70 now, don't know if he still works.

N

Wood

Ortiz drew the Thirteenth Floor, as well.

Mk13

>I think he also drew Tower King in the early Eighties weekly Eagle.

I loved the Tower King strip - definitely my favourite serialised Eagle story.

Only later did I discover it was the Junior Boy's Primer for V for Vendetta...

nathan

Tower King was my favourite too!

But that's not saying much when the rest of the comic featured such gems as Joe Soap and Sgt Streetwise. Photo-strips are abominations and should be left to Viz and Dr Deirdre's Casebook.

Tony Luke take note!

N

2000AD Online

Ah, 'Joe Soap'. Or perhaps that should be 'Jo Soap' seeing as the model who played him has since had a sex-change.

Mk13

nathan

Now I'm very frightened.

How do you know this anyway, Mr Whit?

N

2000AD Online

A few years back, BBC 2 had a series of cam-corder documentaries made by the people it featured. Of these, a transexual by the name of Myka Scott explained why she had undergone a sex-change operation and how she was finding her adjustment to life as a woman. Myka was formerly a stuntman until an accident resulted in severe burns, hence Joe Soap's complexion in the photo-strip.

Full of useless information, me.

Mk13

Wonder if the female equivalent of Joe Soap would be Joanne Douche...  ;p

Does anyone else remember that Sgt Streetwise was also in a photo that every blokes' haidresser in the UK seemed to have?

nathan

Not my barbers.

They had a photo of Doomlord instead.

N

Mk13

>They had a photo of Doomlord instead.

Here for your weekly polish, sir? Turtle Wax or Mr Sheen?