Main Menu

What is your all-time favourite iconic Dredd image?

Started by mygrimmbrother, 09 October, 2009, 09:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzzbux

The ones I would have chosen have already been posted so I go for this iconic Dredd world moment. Which I had on a tee shirt which was worn to death, no pun intended.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

thejudgemuffin

Gotta be Alpha and Dredd walking back to the mega city...b.e.a.utiful!

worldshown

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 October, 2009, 12:09:20 PM
The second greatest Judge Dredd image, after 'Fist of Dredd' does not appear to have been preserved via the medium of teh interwebs but is, of course, Dredd sticking the nut on Bella Bagley.

Cheers!

Jim

This the one Jim?

My personal favourite? I'm torn between "Gaze into the Fist of Dredd" and "I'm with Rowdy Yates Block".

Mike Gloady

New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Ii always look forward to a good Bappp in an Ian Gibson strip.

HdE

I love Gibson's Dredd - it just oozes style and class!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

moly

Third Estate Ned

Forgive the necropost but I wanted to start a thread like this and found it already existed. Consider this a reprisal for newer forum members.

I can't track down the pic I wanted, which is in Judgment on Gotham and is a full page image of Lawgiver-pointing Bisley Dredd. Instead I'll go for this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4gCcUgq6H-g/TjC_rnyOZVI/AAAAAAAAAFg/-7Omp2itGJo/s1600/BisleyDredd.jpg

This next Greg Staples one, while not exactly an iconic image since it's so recent, perfectly captures the style and atmosphere of what the strip represents for me:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7xk4vqlgIQU/TmD3L_ns-0I/AAAAAAAAC7o/x7oYMQWeudw/s1600/1750%252Bcover%252Bart.jpg

I suppose it depends on the period when you first latched onto the strip.

The Adventurer

I think this one will always be the most iconic to me. Its due to the timing you see, I was just getting into 2000 AD and Dredd in particular in 2004/2005 when this strip ran. And I still wasn't totally sure about Dredd. But then I read Brother's of the Blood (in the Prog) and everything just sort of CLICKED; about why Dredd is some awesome, and what Judge Dredd the comic is really all about.
So this is my 'Gaze Into the Fist of Dredd', my 'I'm With Rowdy Yates Block!', my 'Request Denied'

"I WILL NOT TOLERATE OPEN INSURRECTION -- AND I AM THE LAW!"

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

QuickQuag

This is hard - so many iconic covers, and lots of Apocalypse War-era ones. Ezquerra's "It's Lawmaster versus Rad Sweeper - and I don't intend to lose!", Bolland's Dredd as a Sov Judge (including the text, obv) and later on the opening centre spread for City of the Damned...

Okay, for me it's Bolland again, and Anderson/Dredd breaking through the barrier to Billy Carter block. Great expressions, really dynamic image, and it's all there in that image.
The views above are entirely my own. And there's the problem.

Beeks

"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Spikes

^ Good choice (its my screensaver - and has been for the last two years).

Mmmm, ill have to ponder on this, though i imagine itll be McMahon and Cursed Earth related.

Jim_Campbell

On a slight tangent, isn't it odd that the definitive artists for Dredd the character can be so different to the definitive series artists? I'll take 'Fist of Dredd' and 'Rowdy Yates' as being as close to definitive images of Dredd as you're likely to get, but is Bolland in my list of definitive artists of Dredd the series? Not even close, TBH.

Off the top of my head, I can't honestly think of a Cam Kennedy drawing of Dredd himself that I'd put on my 'definitive' list, but Cam is right up there on my list of Dredd artists. People talk about Batman being linked to Gotham, but I don't think Gotham is anywhere near as important a 'character' to the Batman strip as Mega-City 1 is to Dredd.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin MacNeil

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 August, 2012, 07:24:31 PM
On a slight tangent, isn't it odd that the definitive artists for Dredd the character can be so different to the definitive series artists? I'll take 'Fist of Dredd' and 'Rowdy Yates' as being as close to definitive images of Dredd as you're likely to get, but is Bolland in my list of definitive artists of Dredd the series? Not even close, TBH.

Off the top of my head, I can't honestly think of a Cam Kennedy drawing of Dredd himself that I'd put on my 'definitive' list, but Cam is right up there on my list of Dredd artists. People talk about Batman being linked to Gotham, but I don't think Gotham is anywhere near as important a 'character' to the Batman strip as Mega-City 1 is to Dredd.

Cheers

Jim

I think you're spot on with both thoughts there, Jim. Good points.

Regarding iconic Dredd images? The 1981 and 1982 Dredd Annuals by McMahon are for me iconic. Every page, every panel is iconic. If I was only able to own two Dredd things in the world, then it would be these two books. This is the problem with choosing iconic Dredd images, there's just sooooo many to choose from.

Cheers

Colin