Main Menu

Dredd - Box Office

Started by MattJW, 02 September, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR. ELIMINATOR

Also they guy who directed Bronson and Drive is attached, so that should get people to come and watch it.

Gonk

That sounds a bit vague.

The Stallone movie was a farse. Dredd on the other hand was well executed and purged the memory of the '95 dismal failure. 2012v. didn't do well outside the Dredd constituency because the lines between good guys and bad guys isn't so obvious as it is in most mainstream films. Good and Evil merge and blur in Dredd, it's not like Batman, you really do wonder if Dredd is right or wrong in his behaviour. It's a bloody wonderful film. Fuck the bloody capitalists.

coming at a cinema near you soon

Danbo

Just shy of 35 mil worldwide according to Boxoffice.com, has it been released everywhere now or are there and territories left?
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

chuffsteruk

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 17 October, 2012, 03:03:01 PM
Just shy of 35 mil worldwide according to Boxoffice.com, has it been released everywhere now or are there and territories left?

Still a few to go:

Hong Kong   18 October 2012   
Australia   25 October 2012   
Chile   25 October 2012   
Taiwan   9 November 2012   
Germany   15 November 2012   
Switzerland   15 November 2012    (German speaking region)
Belgium   21 November 2012   

dweezil2

Has it opened in Japan yet?

I've actually developed a complex series of algorithms that determines that anyone who didn't see Dredd is a c**nt!  >:(
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Stan

I was under the impression it wasn't opening in Japan. That's a whole lot of c**nts.

Danbo

Quote from: chuffsteruk on 17 October, 2012, 03:07:35 PM

Still a few to go:

Chile   25 October 2012   
Taiwan   9 November 2012   
Thats quite a few left,wonder what the Jerrys will think of a fascist supercop?Looks like it could pull in it's film budget and if it makes a bit on its DVD/Blu sales like folk are thinking it might...Call me optimistic but I don't think we've seen the last of Dredd,that might mean a bunch of cartoons at least if not a full sequel.

Fisticuffs

Quote from: fonky on 17 October, 2012, 02:45:22 PMGood and Evil merge and blur in Dredd, it's not like Batman, you really do wonder if Dredd is right or wrong in his behaviour. It's a bloody wonderful film. Fuck the bloody capitalists.

The trouble is that you only know and think this after or during seeing the film. You can't tell this from the trailers or if you are unfamiliar with Dredd.

I think that the two most obvious reasons are the real reasons Dredd has struggled.

1. 3D - People are getting genuinely sick of it.
2. Dredd is a 'niche' character, even within the comics world, and of limited appeal, especially to the general public.

That's it, sad, but true. Of course we, on a dedicated Dredd fan forum, will argue otherwise, but I think a few people need to wake up and smell the coffee.

CYCLOPZ

Teivion

Copy and pasted from The Golden Compass Box office on Wiki.
Makes interesting reading when you look at the US takings Vs ROTWorld, and the distribution deals that went down.
Risky business, this filming malarky.

"The North American opening weekend return was "a little disappointing" for New Line Cinema,[69] earning US$25.8 million with total domestic box office of $70 million compared to an estimated $180 million production budget.[70] Despite this, the film's loss rebounded as its performance outside the United States was described as "stellar" by Variety,[71] and as "astonishing" by New Line.[72] In the United Kingdom, the film grossed $53,198,635 and became the second highest grossing non-sequel of 2007 there (behind The Simpsons Movie). In Japan, the film was officially released in March 2008 on 700 screens, ultimately grossing $33,501,399; but previews of the film between February 23–24, 2008 earned $2.5 million. By July 6, 2008, it had earned $302,127,136 internationally, totaling $372,234,864 worldwide.[70] Overseas rights to the film were sold to fund the $180 million production budget for the film, so most of these profits did not go to New Line.[73] This has been cited as a potential "last straw" in Time Warner's decision to merge New Line Cinema into Warner Bros Pictures.[3] "

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Compass_%28film%29

Danbo

Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 17 October, 2012, 05:01:20 PM
Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 17 October, 2012, 03:58:59 PM
The Jerrys!

love it
There was a German chap over on the Telegraph website and nick names cropped up,someone mentioned 'little Englanders' and he said that they never call us that but STILL call us Tommies or Inselaffe (islands apes),ruddy Bosch.

Third Estate Ned

Quote from: chuffsteruk on 17 October, 2012, 03:07:35 PM

Still a few to go:

Chile   25 October 2012   
Taiwan   9 November 2012   

Still waiting on a cinema release date here in Italy.

Gonk

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 17 October, 2012, 04:36:27 PM

The trouble is that you only know and think this after or during seeing the film. You can't tell this from the trailers or if you are unfamiliar with Dredd.

I think that the two most obvious reasons are the real reasons Dredd has struggled.

1. 3D - People are getting genuinely sick of it.
2. Dredd is a 'niche' character, even within the comics world, and of limited appeal, especially to the general public.

That's it, sad, but true. Of course we, on a dedicated Dredd fan forum, will argue otherwise, but I think a few people need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Surely though those involved with making the film knew this, as we ourselves knew this. If that is the case, why express disappointment at the numbers? I'm perplexed. It's too bigger of a risk to take if you already know it will have limited appeal to hope that film fans will suddenly have a Saul to Damascus moment, and suddenly take Dredd to their hearts.

You're right, there are many who need converting. Keep spreading the good word brothers and sisters.

It is so ironic, also, that Dredd is about the only film where the 3D does actually suit it.

coming at a cinema near you soon

The Sherman Kid

Couldn't agree more that the 3D actually suits Dredd very well (not a particular fan of 3D either), it works for this film and adds a lot to it.

Looked at the figures for Sunshine ,another by Alex Garland, a very good film that I bought.It did go off on a tangent in the second half to be a fight against a manic psychotic rather than survival (which I think would have served it better), but very enjoyable nonetheless. This tanked ,not gaining any wide release in the US for some strange reason unknown to me. A solid film with one of the best scores I have heard for a film, yet didn't come any where near fulifilling its potential at the box office. Good films dont always get what they deserve I guess.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Personally I still think it was down to the first trailer more then anything. Of the people who have seen Dredd, it is pretty much universally loved so I don't think it's anything to do with being too niche of a character or anything like that. People love a badass, take the recent success of taken 2 (even though it is absolutely shit) for example.

The Raid and Dredd comparisons have hurt it, and this was definitely down to the trailer. The Raid trailer puts across a similar sounding plot, but it does this much better. When I saw it, I was like "fuck that looks good". Where as with Dredd I was like that, but because I was already a fan and more interested in what the footage looked like, as I had already read the leaked script. I could understand why it didn't jump out at people unfamiliar with Judge Dredd. If anyone had seen that trailer and the '95 Judge Dredd, why would they wanna go see it?

The trailers did get better, but I think it was too late by then as people wouldn't keep track of a film they weren't interested in. The "Awesome" trailer where they used rock music, they didn't even show the plot to the film but it made it look really good. They should have released that first as a teaser or something to get people's attention. Then do a longer trailer revealing the story later. And they should have used the soundtrack from the film instead of La Roux as that was much better.

The most frustrating part is Dredd is better then The Raid, and that's not just because I am fan. It has a much tighter story, with better music and better look. It is just generally much more satisfying to watch, where as the Raid was irritating in many parts as it focused to much on crappy back stories of why certain characters were there, and the fights went on too long. But Raid gets the general favour because it was out first, and is clearly independent, where as Dredd people will think was a big hollywood blockbuster rip off. (well maybe not to that extreme) and therefore hate it before they have even seen it.

Let's see how it does on Blu-Ray, but I have a feeling if nothing else it will stand the test of time and still be seen as a classic for a long time to come.

Hopefully film magazine's like Total Film and Empire will actually show a bit of conviction when reviewing the dvd and bump it up a star instead of being 3 star pussies so people might actually check it out.