Main Menu

Nintendo Switch

Started by radiator, 20 October, 2016, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

PS4 and XB1 are the only physical releases that look to be available, seems PC and Switch are digital only.

radiator

I've heard a rumour that GTAV is coming to the Switch next year.

GTAV on a handheld..... :o

Timothy

I've gone and taken the plunge. Console, Zelda and Mariokart ordered.

Zenith 666

Money well spent.Zelda is just amazing.

Tiplodocus

Just finished breath of the wild. I may have left it too long because I was ridiculously overpowered when taking out Ganon. My first Lynel was tougher.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

Turns out my specualtion that the Switch would be the perfect platform for indie games was on the money:

https://kotaku.com/only-two-of-the-current-top-10-most-downloaded-games-on-1819507532

QuoteWhen I spoke briefly to Brjann Sigurgeirsson, CEO of the SteamWorld Dig 2 development company Image & Form, over email, he said, "The Switch version of SWD2 is doing many, many times better than any of the other platforms." It's a sentiment that's been echoed by other developers. According to publishing director for publisher Curve Digital in an interview with MVC, The Flame in the Flood had, "its best ever day on any console since we've been publishing it, beating any other format we have launched on. It's done just under half of our first full month forecast in a day." FDG Entertainment, the publisher for Oceanhorn has also said that the game sold more on the Switch than "all other consoles combined."

In other news, posted this on the wrong channel the other day, but Super Mario Odyssey just got awarderd a 10/10 in Edge magazine.

Apestrife

Lovely to hear that indies does well on the system. Hoping to see more 2D games released on cartridges :)

Bought Sine Moria Ex the other day. Played a couple of levels. Colourful bullet hell. Got some good shooting. Interesting tone, time travel, animals talking in hungarian and some very depressing themes. Looking forward to playing it in COOP.

gurnard

Downloaded Rogue Trooper on my sons switch last night.
Cool thing about the Switch is the parental controls. I only let my kid play some 12 year rated games (Zelda is ok for instance) But I can install rogue and turn on the parental controls and all is good. He can't access it until he hacks the code :-)

Great game by the way.

radiator

Apparently DOOM is out Nov 10th!

Really looking forward to this, it's one of the few mainstream AAA games that has caught my attention in the last few years.

Timothy

Hootin' Heck, that Zelda's a bit good.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: radiator on 18 October, 2017, 05:08:04 PM
Apparently DOOM is out Nov 10th!

Really looking forward to this, it's one of the few mainstream AAA games that has caught my attention in the last few years.

DOOM is great! And perfect for that platform I think, I played on console but found I enjoyed it most in shorter, half hour chunks, maybe because it's so full-on all the time. As something you can take on the move and play in short bursts it'll work a treat.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 16 October, 2017, 11:46:02 PM
Just finished breath of the wild. I may have left it too long because I was ridiculously overpowered when taking out Ganon. My first Lynel was tougher.
According to my profile I've played this for 115 hours and I've only just taken out my third Divine Beast and haven't bothered to find the Master Sword yet. Did have a wander round Hyrule Castle last night and it seemed weird that you can basically climb up the outside of one tower and walk straight into the final boss room. I didn't.

The difficulty spikes are quite weird. The bosses I've fought have been uniformly easy and I've been all but invincible to any normal enemy since the first Divine Beast (the one that gives you an automatic resurrection + health boost) but Lynels will still fuck me up. I realise it's a deliberate approach to making all areas immediately accessible while still making some harder to beat but MAAAAANNN!
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Yes - for cautious or completing players, everything except Lynel are just an irritation by the end.  I think it needed some way of encouraging me to try Ganon earlier.  If you could defeat Ganon and then continue the game wiping out the rest of his minions and completing the Shrines, and seeing the Kingdom of Hyrule return to glory, that would be cool.

JamesC

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 23 October, 2017, 02:03:25 PM
Yes - for cautious or completing players, everything except Lynel are just an irritation by the end.  I think it needed some way of encouraging me to try Ganon earlier.  If you could defeat Ganon and then continue the game wiping out the rest of his minions and completing the Shrines, and seeing the Kingdom of Hyrule return to glory, that would be cool.

Yeah, I wanted something to do after defeating Ganon.
I thought it might be good if the machines which had been 'possessed' became benevolent again and were sort of on your side - meaning that if you were chased or attacked by a Lynel or Giant or something, and wandered into the range of a Guardian, it may actually help you.

Tiplodocus

And killing Ganon puts an end to the "blood moon rising" and the re-spawning of creatures so you could actually rid the land of every Moblin, Bokoblin, Lizalfo, Hinox, Octorok and Lynel  (I'll leave Modulgas and Keese out of this, they seem like native wildlife).  And a quest to broker peace with the Yiga clan.

All of which sounds cool but, I admit, it breaks the basic rule of "When your villain is defeated, your movie ends".