Main Menu

Recommend me a novel to read on holiday

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 08 May, 2017, 08:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Angelino

Quote from: sheridan on 12 May, 2017, 10:17:35 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 12 May, 2017, 10:16:52 PM
Quote from: Tony Angelino on 09 May, 2017, 05:32:08 PM
I remember going on holiday and reading Five on a Treasure Island by Enid Blyton. Worth a read if you haven't already. you could then move on to an Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators classic. You don't really need to read them in order.

Five go to Smuggler's Top was my favourite Famous Five book.

Though thinking about it - is Treasure Island the first Five book?  And Smuggler's Top is quite early in the run anyway.

Treasure Island is the first one. I think Smugglers Top was about fourth or fifth. I read them so much when I was a kid but I can remember so little about them now. You could read them in a day.

Dash Decent

"Dream London" by Tony Ballantyne.  If you like it, there's a sequel called "Dream Paris" (and hopefully more to come).
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

JamesC

I enjoyed Ready Player One when I read it on holiday.
It's not great literature but it's fun and fast paced and full of geeky references.

Another I've really enjoyed recently is The Knights of Dark Reknown. It's a David Gemmel book but standalone, not part of one of the longer series. I'd never heard much about it but it's an absolute stormer. It'd make a fantastic film.

Robin Low

Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut

Hiero's Journey - Sterling E Lanier

Desolation Road - Ian McDonald

Regards,

Robin

TordelBack

Another vote for Desolation Road - it's like a Gabriel Garcia Marquez novel set in a M.artian circus.

If we're considering SF novels which should get more love, I'm going to bat for CJ Cherryh - not a flashy writer, but there are some amazingly good books in her loose Alliance/Union setting, highlights including the classic Downbelow Station; the magnificent tale of a deliberately botched colonisation mission 40,000 in Gehanna; or the SF/Fantasy hybrid of a woman tasked with destroying an alien stargate network in Gates of Ivrel.

ZenArcade

Her Chanur stories are engaging as well. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

Oooh good to hear! I've always been put off by the cat-people on the covers. In my experience the only good cat person is Nastassia Kinski. Have you reas Merovingen Nights at all?

ZenArcade

No,  read most of the rest: Voyager in the night is one strange read.
Chanur is a good intro into language and cultures and the realisation that what  initially appears evil isn't always so. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Theblazeuk

Broken Monsters by Lauren Beukes is one of the best page-turning books I've read and it's right in the vein of 2000AD. In the crumbling vacant blocks of Detroit, a killer driven by an idea that transcends reality preys upon the hipsters and artists that have laid claim to the empty buildings and desolate street.