Main Menu

Film Discussion

Started by Psidude, 05 June, 2011, 09:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry Vince

"A 'real-world' Death would probably end up looking unfortunately like this:"
LOL, I'll have to break out my cross-over editions.

As for the prior post - I take it that is from Lawman of the Future - Dredd becomes Death? From a spike-the-canon point of view it is actually an interesting premise. And remember the Not Judge Dredd movie - Rico showing suspiciously similar traits to Death, his quotes of the living inevitably break the law (I'm paraphrasing, I haven't watched in a very long time) and his plummeting death a la Necropolis.

Now starring Armand Assante as Judge Death!

Well he certainly had the ham to pull it off.
Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

Beaky Smoochies

Thanks Joe Soap for the response, a pity John Wagner doesn't remember it, it would've been interesting to read what Alan Grant and himself came up with, but that's the past, onto the new movie, speaking of which...

It appears to me (by what I've seen and read thus far) that the producers of the new Dredd film are going for a sense of gritty, heightened-realism, very much like the early JD comic stories in the late '70's, which I have no problem with, actually.  Although I would walk nekkid over broken glass to see Judge Death on the big-screen, the more I think about it, the more I think the producers behind the new Dredd will stick to the early JD style, with the stories reflecting that, which means we're very likely to see a full-on Block War in one of the sequels, maybe the Angel family, but Judge Death may be a step too far into the realm of the more OTT and esoteric stories of the '80's onwards, but I could be completely wrong on all points, although I very much look forward to any and all news concerning the new movie, and all things considered, I have real confidence in DNA Films' take on Dredd, they've done everything pretty much right, so far... 

Angry Vince, dude, Armand Assante would've made a great Rico if the script had been right- which reminds me, if anyone out there has, or knows where to get, a copy of William Wisher's ORIGINAL script for Judge Dredd (before it was mangled by Steven E. DeSouza), I would be most grateful- Assante gave a ferocious performance in the Michael Caine Jack The Ripper television mini-series, but I always thought Michael Wincott would have been the definitive actor for the role of Rico, just a thought...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Hoagy

With Watchmen and X-Men FC, having a retro comic vibe, the fact they may give that *tinge* to Dredd is giving me a tingle. Both the former film probably move live accounts of history and thinking on it, so did Mad Max, with the voice over. Now That may be the biggest mistake Dredd could make, voice over, spoken about as if a far future being is introducing mega-cities and the *judges* as historical event. THERE CAME THE JUDGES!!

Hmm where've I heard that before?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Teivion

I should probably finish this off then- very early piece of modelling, on the top of the back burner list. Teeth are still a little screwy, and not enough decay in the textures yet.

Theres a basic animated version on my website, but its nothing amazing.

Still -I'll prove all you Death ney-sayersssss wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Even if it's the Death of me )

radiator

QuoteA possible way is that the typical Dark Judge appearance is played as a hallucination brought on by powerful psis, in the same way the beginning of Necropolis is. I think that approach wouldn't be a bad compromise.

Yeah I like that idea. Perhaps Death's supernatural appearance is a mental projection created by his own psychic power - on screen it could work like the effect of Scarecrow's poison gas in Batman Begins.

They could also play Death like the Joker in The Dark Knight - keep his origins ambiguous and offer several plausible explanations as to how he came to be.

I just think the story as is in the comics would ask audiences to swallow too much for this gritty take on Dredd - interdimensional travel AND the undead - it's similar to how Death wouldn't have worked had the Stallone Dredd got a sequel - it just wouldn't fit with the world they established in that film.

IAMTHESYSTEM

I assume if they had the Dark Judges in a sequel that Judge Death would either be a mutant from the cursed Earth or that all time cliche -the experiment to create the perfect Judge gone wrong!

Justice Dept scientists accidently created Judge Death while trying to make the perfect Street Judge both psychic like Anderson and ruthless like Dredd. Er, not the greatest twist ever I admit but I agree with Radiater the inter dimensional thing is not what a Dirty Harry type Dredd Movie requires.

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Danbo

Rather have Fink than Death,more believable.Few Skysurfers won't go amiss either.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Buddy

If Death does make an appearance in a future Dredd movie and he isn't an alien superfiend then it's not Judge Death.

Death isn't a mutant or an experiement gone wrong... he's an alien.

If they're gonna have a mutant or an experiement gone wrong well that's just fine, but don't call it Judge Death.

Emp

This conversations got me thinking and those thoughts lead to Death being a sort of Judda Death in any upcoming movie,not a pleasant thought, but one that suits Hollywoods needs to bastardise any idea.

Beaky Smoochies

Yeah, Hollywood does tend to b******ise good ideas, but the great thing about the new Dredd movie is it has NOTHING to do with big U.S. corporate studios- it's being made by an independent British production company using Indian money!  That was the whole root cause of the 1995 movie's downfall, the U.S. moneymen simply weren't prepared to sink $80million into a summer movie about a ruthless fascist (their loss), that and the guy who owned the movie rights to Dredd- Charles Lippincott- was absolutely determined from the outset to make a PG-13 family entertainment movie, and fatally altered Dredd's character to fit that agenda, look at how that one worked out!  The new Dredd movie is going to be a dark, serious, and extraordinarily violent R-rated (a definite '18' in the UK) bloodbath which will be a proper representation of the source material- and John Wagner says so, by drokk- rule Britannia indeed...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Buddy on 19 June, 2011, 01:52:09 AM
If Death does make an appearance in a future Dredd movie and he isn't an alien superfiend then it's not Judge Death.

If they're gonna have a mutant or an experiement gone wrong well that's just fine, but don't call it Judge Death.

Death in the comic is an alien superfiend- doesn't mean that the movie one (if there is one) will be. You need to let go of this 'if it's not the same as the comic it's not real' thing, because it will not be the same as the comic.

Buddy

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 19 June, 2011, 10:50:49 AM
Quote from: Buddy on 19 June, 2011, 01:52:09 AM

Death in the comic is an alien superfiend- doesn't mean that the movie one (if there is one) will be. You need to let go of this 'if it's not the same as the comic it's not real' thing, because it will not be the same as the comic.

You are of course right there Rich.... I need to remind myself of what I've said here in the past... It's not a Judge Dredd film... it's a film based on Judge Dredd and things will change.

vzzbux

Does coming from an alternate universe make Death and alien? after all when it comes down to it he is base human so Alien Superfiend is rather redundant, unless you look at it like it is a Mexican crossing into the US border illegally.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

JOE SOAP

Juez Muerte, he come to take your job señor.

weehawk

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 18 June, 2011, 11:50:31 PM
Rather have Fink than Death,more believable.Few Skysurfers won't go amiss either.

I wouldn't mind if we get Fink instead of Death.