Main Menu

Film Discussion

Started by Psidude, 05 June, 2011, 09:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaky Smoochies

It's pretty likely that IF the upcoming movie is a success (both critically and commercially, hopefully, although I couldn't care less about the former), the two subsequent installments will have elements of various stories from the source material, one of the producers of Dredd, Allon Reich, told Variety magazine that they intend the new Dredd movie project to be a "three-picture franchise" (or words to that effect), and said further that screenwriter Alex Garland already has ideas for the next movies!

Depending on how well the upcoming movie does, I would love to see a full-on Block War, Judge Death, and something pretty apocalyptic in nature (a big KA-BOOM would be nice in 3-D, dont'cha think?), oh yeah, and let's not forget good ol' Mean Machine if they can squeeze him in... oh baby, I get chills just thinking about an epic Dredd story told over two parts (shot back-to-back probably) with a mega-budget behind it...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

radiator

I'd be very surprised if they try to adapt the Apocalypse War - it's so 80s and wouldn't really suit the particular take on Dredd this first move will present. They're going to have to work hard to establish Dredds character and the role of the judges first time out - would be a very strange move to recast him as a soldier in the sequel. I suspect we'll be getting the Judge Death story as a sequel, but I reckon the movie version of the dark judges will be quite different from the comics. It's possible that they could pay homage to the Apoc War within that story though.

TordelBack

I think the question of filming the Apocalypse War cuts to the heart of the difficulties of filming Dredd as a whole.  So much of the bigger fare in the Dredd strip (certainly the first few decades) has been in the mode of  "Damnation Alley... with Judge Dredd", "I, Claudius... with Judge Dredd", "Cold War goes Hot... with Judge Dredd" that it's hard to see how to offer something new with this material.  We know it's all amazing stuff because of how the filter of Dredd's established world and character twists this stuff into something new and exciting, but without the stability of the MC-1 background to throw 'Genre Plot No. 13' against, it all comes across as something entirely other than, well, Judge Dredd.

blackmocco

To me anyway, 'Block Mania' seems a more suitable approach. 'Course, it becomes a far different story if it doesn't segue into the war but I always felt the initial nine episodes had far more tension and intrigue than the twenty-five that followed...

As for the Dark Judges, it's been well discussed before here but I think it's going to be a very tough sell to portray in a movie as written in the comic. I suspect there'll be serious changes to the concept to make it work in the movie's format.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Hoagy

FLEE! The Day of Atonement is postponed, indefinitely.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Psidude

Blockmania is a good starting point for a sequel,would like to see Chopper and pj maybe involved.Think the  films will have to be grounded like batman begins,dont see how a film with the dark judges would work! judge fire?? :lol:

Professor Bear

Dark Judges would be far too camp for a sequel to something that's essentially Escape From New York/The Warriors/whatever, though the Apocalypse War could work easily by updating the factions involved.  Post-apocalypse Earth is gonna be pretty tight on resources, so it's not like there isn't an in-built rationale for a war.

Personally, I think a sequel would be best served avoiding the inevitable sequel trend of "bigger and louder" by going with some of the Wagner multi-parters that have cropped up over the years that concentrate on Dredd's role as a cop rather than a superhero, like that one where he's chasing down perps that turn out to be expectant parents fleeing an enforced abortion on a fetus with a genetic abnormality, or even Inferno, which was put together like a big dumb action movie anyway.

Michaelvk

I think Mean machine might be doable.. Judge Death might not work, considering the realism aspect of the universe they want to portray.. It's hard to say, really.. I do know what these guys were wanting from dealing with them first hand, and the realism aspect was pretty high on the list..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

IAMTHESYSTEM

The Dirty Harry sequel Magnum Force had the Law fighting the Law as Harry Callahan had to take down the Cop Death Squad who were exterminating the cities Big time crooks.

Maybe they'll have DREDD in the sequel gunning for corrupt Judges or like in Infernal Affairs trying to oust the Judges who have been covertly  helping 'terrorists'/Crims/DEM's wreck Justice Department's iron grip on the frightened populace.  
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Beaky Smoochies

All above suggestions are absolutely valid and I wholeheartedly agree.  I've actually wondered a great deal about how Judge Death could be portrayed in a realistic manner onscreen, and I came up with the idea that he could be a hideous mutant from the Cursed Earth, leading an army to Mega-City One in order to cleanse their evil ways (as he sees them) with some kind of apocalyptic weapon, with Death characterised as a kind of cult/pseudo-religous figure- it would serve as a nice satire on today's jihadist conflict with Muslim radicals.  With today's visual effects technology, a completely photo-realistic CGI Death would be the most viable option, but I'll defer to Michaelvk on this matter, he was on-set everyday, which reminds me, hey Michael dude, I heard the visual effects people showed cast and crew some early Mega-City One work during production, confirm or deny, and did you see it perchance...!?
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

Michaelvk

I did see some concepts.. Can't recall seeing or hearing of any VFX screenings.. There was a screening of a 'trailer' that they edited together, but that was post incident, and I didn't see that either..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Beaky Smoochies

Were they concepts of Mega-City One, and if so, did they look sufficiently, er, 'Dredd-esque'?  The concepts must've been what I heard about, by the way, do you know how long exactly (in days) the production was, and did you work weekends during filming, sorry to sound snoopy, just want to know every last detail on the production-  :geek:...

Beaky Smoochies

Oh, I forgot to mention, NEW LOOK FOR THE FORUM, where's the 2000 A.D. character wallpaper, the whole thing looks a little drab now, Drokk it!? :thumbsdown:

w3bz

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 15 June, 2011, 05:10:21 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention, NEW LOOK FOR THE FORUM, where's the 2000 A.D. character wallpaper, the whole thing looks a little drab now, Drokk it!? :thumbsdown:

Post about it over here: http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,33517.0.html

CYCLOPZ