Main Menu

Prog 2130 - 2000ad Regened

Started by Colin YNWA, 04 May, 2019, 09:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Timothy on 08 May, 2019, 08:57:34 AM
Krong, Morphy and Raider! For a comic aimed at new readers that is a nostalgia-heavy Dredd.
Although not to the point newcomers would be lost without the references.

The Sherman Kid

Prog 2130 - Please don't do that again.

Ever.

Rant over.

P.S Seriously -Ever.

TordelBack

Great stuff, this. Was a bit taken aback by the price,  but good value and a good idea to sync it with FCBD and keel it in the regular weekly slot.

Dredd was great, although the presence of Mantas in the 2070s hit my anal-retentive gland hard ( :'(). Beautiful, beautiful art and full-on old school in the best way,  like an early Annual story if early Annual stories had been any good.  I've been asked by the kids to run a Dredd RPG game for them (using the rather spiffy new WOiN ruleset that I never shut up about), and I think this is what use as a starting point, if I ever get the finger out.

Next best was a tie between Full Tilt Boogie (moah pleez) which was like Zippy Couriers crossed with Dr Who and blessed with the freshest art imaginable,  and Anderson, which begged the pressing question: why doesn't PJ draw more Anderson?

Despite initial reservations about the Fleisher/Coleby-era weaponry stylings, Rogue settled down into a nice story, which was a nice intro to the classic team/not a team setup.

Finder & Keeper I enjoyed, crisply drawn and well told, but the ground is too familiar for me personally to see much more mileage in it. The Future Shock was another lushly drawn entry,  but a concept that's been done to death. These two I could see working in an all-ages venue, but for this jaded reader they don't have the appeal of something like Full Tilt Boogie,  or the lighter Rogue, either of which I'd be happy to read more of.

dweezil2

The Dredd tale was great, like those pun laden stories of old, with absolutely sumptuous art!!

Only other story read so far is Full Tilt Boogie, which resembled Saga, minus the explicit sex and violence, and was a perfect scene setter for hopefully what will become an ongoing series! :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

The Enigmatic Dr X

Odd, instantly forgettable, disposable tosh.

Like a special in an Indian restaurant, this is a failed experiment that proves you should not deviate too far from the norm - and certainly not for no good reason.
Lock up your spoons!

The Sherman Kid

Foisting essentially a kiddie comic on your loyal readership was not on.

If this was sold separately fine, good idea, but posting it out to a readership they know was not in this demographic was not cool.

The Sherman Kid

Geoff

Other than the cover and the Dredd, I'm afraid there was little else I enjoyed..

Would it appeal to younger readers? It's hard to say, but maybe.   

That cover would be enticing I think, but the £5 price tag must have led to a few being put back on the shelf.

As a subber, I'm not bothered by this coming out as a one-off type edition.  I also don't think the cover price affects us as we've paid already...

TordelBack

Quote from: dweezil2 on 08 May, 2019, 07:19:18 PM
Only other story read so far is Full Tilt Boogie, which resembled Saga, minus the explicit sex and violence,

Damnit, how did I miss that?

TordelBack

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 08 May, 2019, 08:16:39 PM
If this was sold separately fine, good idea, but posting it out to a readership they know was not in this demographic was not cool.

I respect your opinion Sherman, but how do you expand, or even stand still, if you only play to the same ageing demographic? 

For one week, FCBD week and all,  this permitted me to hand my comic straight  to my 9yr old, which is something we oldies have been banging on about doing for ages. And I presume this method and extra price made that viable, which it wasn't otherwise.

Also, I enjoyed all the strips, some rather a lot. And just next week it's back to sophisticated hire.

TordelBack

"Hire" = "gore", for some reason.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 08 May, 2019, 08:16:39 PM
Foisting essentially a kiddie comic on your loyal readership was not on.

A distinction that needs to be made between 'kiddie comic' and 'all ages comic' - this was the latter.
@jamesfeistdraws

Bolt-01

Just want to say I thoroughly disagree with the Sherman Kid and Dr X - I really enjoyed this and would welcome more in this style.

CalHab

I enjoyed it. I'm not sure all the stories were a success but it was a worthwhile exercise. It'll be back to normal service next week so, even if you didn't like it, it's hardly a problem.

More importantly, there is a serious dearth of comics suitable for younger readers and I'm glad that Rebellion have recognised this. In my (limited) experience, the problem isn't a lack of interest in comics from younger kids, it's a lack of quality material.

As an aside, if Marvel had any sense they would be putting out a younger ages Spider-Ham comic.

Link Prime

Nothing against a 2000AD Regened comic or comics aimed at all-ages / youngsters in general, I'd be an advocate for it.
I'm just not interested in it as part of the weekly Prog.
If the idea has legs, release it as a one-off. I might even intentionally purchase it for someone who would be the intended audience (the recent Cor / Buster special was great, and went down a treat with my nephew).

I'll pre-empt the 'if you don't like it don't buy it comment' with the obvious answer; no self respecting comic nerd would have an deliberate break in their run of Progs.
We were a captive audience for this experiment, and paid handsomely for the concession.

NB- That reads like a massive whinge, but trust me - the intended tone is more relaxed. Just comics, baby.