Main Menu

Stan and Ollie

Started by Steve Green, 08 January, 2019, 10:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Just saw a preview of this - loved it.

Had some real goosebump moments of flashback to watching L&H on TV as a kid - the leads are great, but also Shirley Henderson and Nina Arianda as their wives and Rufus Jones as Delfont.

I'm a bit of a sucker for biopics but this really hit a sweet spot for me, and made me want to see more of Rob 'em Good...

radiator

Heard good things about this, and the casting is spot on - looks like Hollywood finally figured out what to do with Steve Coogan.

Proudhuff

heard some good things about this, anyone else?
DDT did a job on me

Greg M.

Quote from: Proudhuff on 15 January, 2019, 06:15:32 PM
heard some good things about this, anyone else?

It's brilliant, go and see it. Sublime performances all round.

Bad City Blue

as a biopic it beats Bo Rhap purely on the subtlety of the screenplay. Amazing lead performances.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

I, Cosh

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 17 January, 2019, 10:03:00 AM
as a biopic it beats Bo Rhap purely on the subtlety of the screenplay. Amazing lead performances.
I'd imagine the fact it doesn't have a lot of dreadfully shit music in it probably helps too.
We never really die.

Proudhuff

Quote from: I, Cosh on 17 January, 2019, 11:02:08 AM
I'd imagine the fact it doesn't have a lot of dreadfully shit music in it probably helps too.

That is getting to be a major issue now for me, the constant musical emotional cues and or the overwhelming Dr Who nonsense drives me to the exit/off switch
DDT did a job on me

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Proudhuff on 17 January, 2019, 11:04:28 AM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 17 January, 2019, 11:02:08 AM

That is getting to be a major issue now for me, the constant musical emotional cues and or the overwhelming Dr Who nonsense drives me to the exit/off switch

Agreed.  Anyone remember those awesome days when there were parts of a movie when all you could hear was maybe what the characters were saying, or sometimes even just background noise?  Not the constant ebb and flow of a 100 piece orchestra?

I long for those days.  I think I'll go rewatch 2001: A Space Odyssey.  The silence in that is such a breath of fresh air.

PS - Looking forward to seeing Stan and Ollie!  Heard nothing but good things.

radiator

Pretty sure he was just having a pop at Queen.

Dandontdare

I considered that possibility but gave him the benefit of the doubt as he may have been talking about the incidental music - if he did mean Queen's mighty oeuvre, then Cosh is dead to me. My big bro was a huge Queen fan, and I impressed my primary school classmates by being able to do the whole of Bohemian Rhapsody. (We shared a  bedroom and I did get freaked out by his Queen poster, the four faces of the band - it was the first time I came across the phenomena that looking into the lens means the eyes seem to follow you - he used that to freak me out as a kid.)

Tiplodocus

Queen was the music of my teenage years until the cool kids told me I should be listening to The Smiths, the Clash etc.  Which I did and liked. 

But as mentioned on music thread, I revisited all of the Queen albums after nearly 25 years and could still singalong to pretty much every track.  The first 3 albums are fantastic. And they keep up a reasonable standard for about 4 more until they start to almost parody themselves.

I try not to slag off anyone's musical tastes these days because, well, there's no right or wrong in these things. You like what you like. 

Signed a big a-ha fan.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 19 January, 2019, 11:42:31 AM
Queen was the music of my teenage years until the cool kids told me I should be listening to The Smiths, the Clash etc.  Which I did and liked. 

But as mentioned on music thread, I revisited all of the Queen albums after nearly 25 years and could still singalong to pretty much every track.  The first 3 albums are fantastic. And they keep up a reasonable standard for about 4 more until they start to almost parody themselves.

You're me you are except for Smith and Clash insert Pixies and Sonic Youth. My tolerance on re-listening ended with Jazz which I really struggled with - though The Game is pretty good.

I, Cosh

Quote from: radiator on 18 January, 2019, 09:00:17 PM
Pretty sure he was just having a pop at Queen.
I can confirm that it was about 97% just having a pop at Queen with maybe a tiny pinch of wondering if a film about some famous movie stars might actually incorporate some aspects of their own movies into the production.

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 19 January, 2019, 11:42:31 AM
I try not to slag off anyone's musical tastes these days because, well, there's no right or wrong in these things. You like what you like. 
This is fair enough. I just don't think that me saying I think Queen are shit is criticising anyone else's taste. Nor do I think anyone needs to justify their own tastes (although I actively enjoy those kind of conversations) or ironically frame their own preferences like you did with your A-Ha line.

Double standards abound though as Flash! and Highlander both prove that a film soundtracked by Queen can be awesome.
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Ha ha! With you on Flash but I found Highlander little more than a cacophony on last rewatch.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!