Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

My magnificent wife did all the feeds last night, letting me sleep from 22.00 to 06.00.  I'm a new man. 

wild-seven

You're a lucky man TordelBack! I hope you made your good lady a cup of tea
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

Mike Gloady

Presumably this "new man" sorcery was precisely her intention? Go Mrs Back!
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

SmallBlueThing

...because, despite the lack of a proper rowing boat, nowhere in the alley to plug in the smoke machine, and the cameraman arriving late by 45 minutes (therefore cutting our time in the pub location down considerably), we shot the entirety of my wife's mini-movie today, in three locations, with a cast and crew of thirteen. Weeks of preparation come off- and even the hastily-inserted "urchins" sequence (written to include our kids because I thought last minute that it'd be good to get them involved in what their mummy does) worked out great and they did us proud. So, small tired "yay"s all round.

SBT

TordelBack

Quote from: wild-seven on 07 November, 2009, 01:24:20 PM
I hope you made your good lady a cup of tea

Nah, just patted her on her pretty little head and said 'That'll do, wife.  That'll do".

Of course I made her a cup of tea, and some toast.  Tordelback knows how to please the ladies.  Especially with his sleep-ravelled wits.

wild-seven

QuoteNah, just patted her on her pretty little head and said 'That'll do, wife.  That'll do".

You've been watching 'Babe'* haven't you?

* I am in NO way suggesting any porcine funny business
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Peter Wolf

I am now officially unemployed and for the first time ever if i dont include the fact i didnt do any work from the age of 16 to 18 [apart from a part time summer job] when i just bummed around after leaving school and was still living at home but i did have to do jobs around the house and gardening and washing cars and that type of thing to justify my existence.

Feels a bit weird TBH but luckily i have stacks of work or will have stacks of work because next year its repainting year in Brunswick Sq plus a big juicy maintenance contract that i should have done this year but it was delayed so that will start in the spring.

I have one inside contract waiting but i cant start until the client gives the go ahead but at this rate i will be sitting here waiting until Xmas but i will be sitting here until Xmas anyway so what the hell.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

TordelBack

QuoteI am now officially unemployed

Ouch, rough one Peter, it's really not a great time of year for it.  So many of us are in that 'waiting for something to bloody start' mode that it's gone well beyond a joke. I've been trying to decide if I'm technically unemployed too since I haven't been able to pay myself for weeks now, but in truth I've seldom been busier, at least in the fruitlessly-chasing-jobs-and-invoices department.

The real difference hit home when I had to give a really decent guy a month's notice today (for the third time this year - I was able to cancel the previous two at the last minute), and it was not pleasant - there's an added horror to the finish date being in December. At least running a business I can see something of the road ahead instead of having some beardy nerk ruin my day with platitudes and gravely-serious-face.   If it wasn't for two of the soundest clients we've ever had, it would have been a lot more people, and it would have been three months ago, so it could be a hell of a lot worse.  Actually, if you'd asked me this time last year what our chances were of still being in business by the end of 2009 I'd have said 'zero', so I'm counting those blessings.   Doesn't make it any easier on the poor bloke who even now is talking over their options with his wife.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 November, 2009, 06:44:23 PM
QuoteI am now officially unemployed

Ouch, rough one Peter, it's really not a great time of year for it.  So many of us are in that 'waiting for something to bloody start' mode that it's gone well beyond a joke. I've been trying to decide if I'm technically unemployed too since I haven't been able to pay myself for weeks now, but in truth I've seldom been busier, at least in the fruitlessly-chasing-jobs-and-invoices department.

The real difference hit home when I had to give a really decent guy a month's notice today (for the third time this year - I was able to cancel the previous two at the last minute), and it was not pleasant - there's an added horror to the finish date being in December. At least running a business I can see something of the road ahead instead of having some beardy nerk ruin my day with platitudes and gravely-serious-face.   If it wasn't for two of the soundest clients we've ever had, it would have been a lot more people, and it would have been three months ago, so it could be a hell of a lot worse.  Actually, if you'd asked me this time last year what our chances were of still being in business by the end of 2009 I'd have said 'zero', so I'm counting those blessings.   Doesn't make it any easier on the poor bloke who even now is talking over their options with his wife.

Things are not as bad as all that for myself for various reasons and i have been relying on work that is in the immediate vicinity but i am going to start working in a different sector of the industry once i start driving again by the spring so that will open up huge possibilities.There may also be work available in london but i havent looked into that yet.Theres a whole load of things i can do to improve my work situation so its not like i have nothing going for me and TBH i knew i would be in this situation as i saw it coming.

If anything it is forcing me to do what i should have been doing as i am as guilty of procastrination as the next.

There are solutions and there is light at the end of the tunnel but if i have time off i am going to use it creatively and constructively.I also have an idea for a side line which involves selling repro/cast antique ornamental lions partly because i have access to a workshop that does plasterwork and recasting of architectural detailing and components for historic/listed buildings so i can make them myself.

This must be the jobless recovery i have heard talked about .

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Tiplodocus

Being between jobs is a horrible position to be in Peter and you have my sympathy.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

COMMANDO FORCES

All the best Peter, I hope things get better sooner rather than later.

Mike Gloady

Sorry to hear that Peter.  As someone currently wading through their own bucket of shite, I can promise that it WILL get better with time.  Your situation however is a tad different from mine in that you can get another job.  With your obvious work-ethic and straight-talking attitude I'm confident you'll be able to sort out something pretty soon. 

Having been unemployed myself for a long period, I will offer my ear should you wish to bend it and I know there will be other boarders who feel the same.  It's easy to get depressed (either "a bit" or the clinical definition) in these circumstances, so make sure your sleep hygiene is impecable, get a routine and make sure you get outside regularly.  Exercise and fresh air and downtime where you allow yourself to relax really help stave off the demons.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

TordelBack

QuoteWith your obvious work-ethic and straight-talking attitude I'm confident you'll be able to sort out something pretty soon. 

Testify!

Mike offers very good advice there, Peter. 

uncle fester

Hope things work out for you, Peter.

SBT, will your movie be available for us minions to view at all?