Main Menu

It's a bit warm/ wet/ cold outside

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 24 July, 2019, 09:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

The banking/money creation industry has killed and subjugated more people, and done more damage, than anything else and needs to be reformed at a fundamental level. However, my views on this have been well aired and there's no need for me to revisit them here.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

shaolin_monkey

The UN appeals for aid in stopping the worst locust outbreak since 1944 to prevent food insecurity across Africa, with some areas affected who have never seen the pest before:

https://news.un.org/en/story/2020/02/1058041

The UN links the outbreak unequivocally to climate change:

https://www.unenvironment.org/news-and-stories/story/locust-swarms-and-climate-change

shaolin_monkey

Gutted I can't get to Bristol tomorrow to support Greta Thunberg.

Instead I'm staying in work, so I can present to my team about climate change and Greta's message, covering the science, global impact, individual action, our company's action, and the systemic change needed to avoid the death of millions upon millions of people.

Wish me luck!

Gary James

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 27 February, 2020, 11:38:54 PMGutted I can't get to Bristol tomorrow to support Greta Thunberg.
There will be other opportunities. You're supporting her by spreading the message, which is just as important.

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 27 February, 2020, 11:38:54 PMWish me luck!
Good luck. Let us know how things go.

Funt Solo

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 27 February, 2020, 11:38:54 PM
Gutted I can't get to Bristol tomorrow to support Greta Thunberg.

Instead I'm staying in work, so I can present to my team about climate change and Greta's message, covering the science, global impact, individual action, our company's action, and the systemic change needed to avoid the death of millions upon millions of people.

Wish me luck!

Break a leg (or, y'know, an ecosystem).
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

von Boom

An oil company is Canada is issuing despicable stickers of Thunberg. I don't even know where to begin with this level of stupidity and hated.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/greta-thunberg-alberta-oil_ca_5e58175fc5b60102210e12ff

shaolin_monkey

Knowing what I know about the depths people/fossil fuel industries will go, this has still shocked me.

Surely cartoons depicting sexual assault on a 17 year old are against the law?

Gary James

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 28 February, 2020, 02:36:17 PMSurely cartoons depicting sexual assault on a 17 year old are against the law?
Yes. Better than that - now the image is circulating on the internet, and is very likely hosted on servers outside Canada, whoever created it is going to have multiple authorities going after them, not just Canadian police.

Professor Bear

You will note the response is framed from the point of view of pro-oil activists and pro-oil politicians.  Huffpo isn't fooling anyone.
Especially odious is that Thunberg is one of the world's most - if not the most - high-profile climate anxiety sufferers, so those involved in this astroturfing exercise know full well they're making sure that a teenager with mental health problems sees that image.  Our shithouse media is not shining a light on this, they're making sure it gets the platform the oil lobby wants it to have.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

The only thing remotely funny about that is that a huge powerful oil company feels so intimidated by a teenage girl they have to stoop lower than I thought they were capable
You may quote me on that.

von Boom

If you mean funny a living nightmare, then I agree with you.

TordelBack

Quote from: Gary James on 28 February, 2020, 02:55:43 PM
Yes. Better than that - now the image is circulating on the internet, and is very likely hosted on servers outside Canada, whoever created it is going to have multiple authorities going after them, not just Canadian police.

Good gods, I hope there's a jail sentence at the end of this. Wankers, fecking wankers.

Gary James

Quote from: Professor Bear on 28 February, 2020, 03:16:24 PMOur shithouse media is not shining a light on this, they're making sure it gets the platform the oil lobby wants it to have.
My niece is a little bit younger than Greta. She sees the climate as one among a number of things which needs setting straight post haste, which coupled with having no fear of speaking her mind makes me slightly nervous about where the world is headed - when she gets an idea into her head she's going to damn well make sure everyone knows what she thinks.

It is really chilling that there are people who think going after children this way is a reasonable course of action. It is properly terrifying that there's enough support in the hinterlands of the internet that the shit who created that image is, at this very moment, likely being celebrated - and no, I don't have the will or a burning need to see if that is actually the case. I'd really rather not.

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 February, 2020, 07:17:32 PMGood gods, I hope there's a jail sentence at the end of this. Wankers, fecking wankers.

Up to a maximum of twenty years. It is unlikely, in this instance, to be as much as that, but still...

JayzusB.Christ

What. The fuck.

I really hope someone does time for this.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

shaolin_monkey

As usual, it takes a 17 year old to show many folk what a mature response looks like: