Main Menu

Meg 400 - 400th Issue!

Started by Richard, 15 September, 2018, 10:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

First Meg I'v picked up since the one with the Block Judge floppie. Fun Dredd and Devlin (especially Devlin). While I think Dominion ended perfectly, Torture garden got my attention. Also enjoyed both Lawless and Anderson. The interview made for a good read. Refreshing to hear people being able to talk freely, regardless the occasion  :)

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 15 September, 2018, 10:31:35 PM
I liked the Judge Dredd story, which is a really silly comedy one from Wagner and Flint. It has some great lines of dialogue and some crazy antics, which I enjoyed. As a massive continuity pedant, this story contradicts what we know of the royal family from Armitage, and I prefer Dave Stone's take on that, but as I liked this one so much I didn't mind. And it gives us the opportunity to devise theories of how to reconcile these two different histories with each other.

Let me know how/if you fit King Clarkie and Vera Duckworth in there as well!

Frank

The date given is 2047; do you think that's HRH* Prince William (aged 65) or Prince George (34)?

* Hairline Receding Hourly

Proudhuff

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 19 September, 2018, 11:51:33 AM
Regarding that cover, and more specifically that strapline: "flowed", surely?

SBT

Indeed.

Caught up on the rest of the Megazine:

Anderson: that intro page should have ben a clue to the fact she should no longer look like a Manga teenager sigh Also I cringed at Mr Grants use of Anderson in her undies FFS any excuse!!

Torture Garden had some healthy suspense and my old peepers just need to adjust to the face that the background are the same colour as the characters...even the ones on fire  :-X

Storm Warning was a nice set up...
DDT did a job on me

metcalfecarr

Am I blind or is there no creator credits box on Storm Warning because I really preferred the art to Tom Fowler's first story and would like to know who did it.

Dave Metcalfe-Carr

TordelBack

Quote from: Proudhuff on 20 September, 2018, 10:27:53 AM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 19 September, 2018, 11:51:33 AM
Regarding that cover, and more specifically that strapline: "flowed", surely?

Indeed.

Maybe it's 'flown' in the sense of 'sprayed through the air from daystick beatings and gunshot wounds'...?

Nah, me neither.

broodblik

A good 400th edition

The Good
Lawless, always a pleasure to read. Top thrill

Storm Warning great art with interesting premises.

The Torture Garden picks up from the previous arc. Really top-notch art and a great story.

Anderson, a real good one-off, good story, good art.

The Bad
Blunt to be blunt is readable but not very exciting. I am not a fan of Cooks art and I really do not like any of the characters.

The Ugly
No Mind Wars as promised  :(
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Part of the Good is the cover. Awesome stuff from Mister Weston
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

Quote from: metcalfecarr on 20 September, 2018, 01:33:37 PM
Am I blind or is there no creator credits box on Storm Warning because I really preferred the art to Tom Fowler's first story and would like to know who did it.

That will be Jimmy Broxton.

broodblik

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 20 September, 2018, 03:17:06 PM
Quote from: metcalfecarr on 20 September, 2018, 01:33:37 PM

That will be Jimmy Broxton.

On the digital version all the credit for the different strips can also be found on page 100

Southstreeter

Thinking of picking up the meg again, but I'm a bit annoyed that the collected Dominion couldn't have been issued first, given that this seems to contain the sequel. Will it spoil too much if I see the first part of The Torture Garden first?

Freddychopper

Quote from: Southstreeter on 21 September, 2018, 05:31:35 PM
Thinking of picking up the meg again, but I'm a bit annoyed that the collected Dominion couldn't have been issued first, given that this seems to contain the sequel. Will it spoil too much if I see the first part of The Torture Garden first?

From what I've seen, you'd probably be best to read the Dominion book first. I would still buy the 400th issue though because the Dominion book comes out Oct 18th the same week as part 2 of the Torture Garden (Oct 17th), so you'd only have to wait one month and then be able to fully catch up. I think those date are correct looking at Previews.

Colin YNWA

Finally got around to Meg 400 - well the strips at least - there's still plenty of reading.

Couple of disappointments to get out the way. As mentioned below would have loved Mind Wars in the floppie but not to be alas. Also no new strip. Always like a noce new strip in a chocker big issue like this.

Still what we have isn't too shabby so I'll not whine too much.

Dredd I have to say I found a little pedestrian and didn't grab me. Unlike so much Wagner it felt stretched. Still no complaints about the art.

Lawless while not quite at the heights this greatest of thrills has reached certainly pulled me straight back in and super excited to see how this develops.

Blunt - I really enjoyed the first story but there is a bit of a disconnect here, though to be fair that might be me as it seems a direct continuation. Drops you in and I'm more than happy to give this more time.

Delvin Waugh as fun but lacked the punch of the last couple of stories.

Storm Warning - wasn't a big fan of the last one but this starts interestingly enough so time will again tell.

Torture Garden - Probably the none Lawless highlight for me. Loved the last one and this one just carries on that rich, dark vein. So pleased to see the Dark Judges being horrific. This series just ticks the boxes.

Anderson Perfectly functional but didn't really feel like it had anything new to say. It looked stunning BUT for a story focusing on Anderson't 40th year on the street no effort seemed to be made to make the years show which was a real shame as otherwise great work.

Overall good solid stuff but lacked something to really make it feel special. Still in its own terms a very good comic.

Southstreeter

Quote from: Freddychopper on 21 September, 2018, 06:44:15 PM
Quote from: Southstreeter on 21 September, 2018, 05:31:35 PM

From what I've seen, you'd probably be best to read the Dominion book first. I would still buy the 400th issue though because the Dominion book comes out Oct 18th the same week as part 2 of the Torture Garden (Oct 17th), so you'd only have to wait one month and then be able to fully catch up. I think those date are correct looking at Previews.

Thanks, may well do that.

DrJomster

400!!!

Many happy returns! And a good Meg it was too! Many thanks for all the editor interviews and such a high quality set of thrills! Roll on the next 400 Megs.

#PraiseBeToTharg
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.