Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

Quote from: Smith on 20 July, 2017, 08:26:05 AM
Forever War #6 That was...wow.Its one of those things you read and then need to sit down and grab a drink to process it.Impressive in every way.

Did they include the really dated and uncomfortable 'Homosexuality is a choice' stuff from the book?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Smith

Well there is no choice there,everyone is gay in the future.

Theblazeuk

It's been a while but I thought it was mostly along the lines of homosexuality became the cultural norm, reinforced by propaganda, social pressure and law. A bit like heterosexuality was/is for many. Swapping places in the closet, as it were.

Smith

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 25 July, 2017, 04:04:40 PM
It's been a while but I thought it was mostly along the lines of homosexuality became the cultural norm, reinforced by propaganda, social pressure and law. A bit like heterosexuality was/is for many. Swapping places in the closet, as it were.
Its exactly like that.

I, Cosh

Archangel #5 finally popped up yesterday. If I'm being honest, the gaps between the last three issues have really affected my appreciation of what's supposed to be going on when in this. A reread will hopefully sort this out as the first couple of issues worked very well.

I'm not sure if Spurrier's Godshaper has passed everyone else by the way it did me. I grabbed the first four issues a couple of weeks ago and it's typically entertaining. I can't think of another writer who puts so much seeming effort into his high concepts which will only last for a few issues. Here it's a His Dark Materials' style physical expression of internal identity combined with Woody Guthrie wanderin' minstrelism. Or maybe the prejudice angle makes it more obviously Robert Johnson. Worth a look anyway.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

I got comics
I got comics
Wayhey hey
I buy more.

But first

Quote from: I, Cosh on 03 August, 2017, 10:04:14 AM
I'm not sure if Spurrier's Godshaper has passed everyone else by the way it did me. I grabbed the first four issues a couple of weeks ago and it's typically entertaining. I can't think of another writer who puts so much seeming effort into his high concepts which will only last for a few issues. Here it's a His Dark Materials' style physical expression of internal identity combined with Woody Guthrie wanderin' minstrelism. Or maybe the prejudice angle makes it more obviously Robert Johnson. Worth a look anyway.

I was quite excited when I read about this, then something slipped and I lost interest. You've perked my interest again...

Anyway back to comics I have bought... but won't be any more. Kill the Minotaur 2 ... it just feels so over egged, so pumped up, but for no reason. Same I liked the idea. But as one falls another rises to take its place. Elsewhere which I picked up simply cos I enjoy writer Jay Faerber's Copperhead so much. I'll be staying cos if its this much fun why would I leave. Great start.

The fact that Doctor Who 11th 3rd, 7 was really good fun and looked great is the only thing that keeping me round. See I enjoyed this but this series is slipping and MAN if I read another energy, emotion, memory - vampire, parasite, feeder being defeat by getting over loaded with the good stuff, man I swear. Such a weak cliche way to see of a baddie. Stop it will ya. Still that aside as I said this was pretty good.

As was Rocket Girl 8 which for me made the mistake of barely acknowledging its 18 month gap after a 6 month gap after a 10 month gap (I think it is don't quote me). Its said we're good to go to 12, hope so this is a great comic but man its a stretch to stick with it. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 21 which may well have contributed to that last wait, at least gives good reason, this title is right back on form, wonderful play on worlds stuff. Kamandi Challenge 7 continues the series, I'll re-read this before making judgement.

Lazarus X+66 1 a stop gap mini while the main takes a break is already showing its worth with a great opening story. Paklis 3 continues to be an intriguing delight. Its almost all Amnia Cycle this month, no bad thing. The cameros elsewhere hold their own though.

Top two. Black Hammer 11 feels strangley slight but when you think on its an immense issues. Wonderful. Top of the haul though is Hillbilly 7 has a comic ever been more beautiful and mesmerising... maybe but not often.

Apestrife

Mister Miracle #1 Not sure how to put it, but this comics feels really special. And not just because Big Barda is in it.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Apestrife on 09 August, 2017, 09:28:00 AM
Mister Miracle #1 Not sure how to put it, but this comics feels really special. And not just because Big Barda is in it.

Oh that's interesting to hear suspect I'll buckle and get this.

Apestrife

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 09 August, 2017, 11:10:48 AMOh that's interesting to hear suspect I'll buckle and get this.

King hit all the right notes for me, and the art is fantastic. I can't wait to see where the story goes next.

My bet is that it'll be a very defining story. A bit like Allstar Superman and N52 Wonder Woman.

Bolt-01

I almost never post in here as I don't tend to follow many titles, but I'm making an exception for MAGE!

The Hero Denied 01 landed in my comiXology App yesterday (I've actually subscribed!) and what a joy it was to see. Matt Wagner shows once again why he's such a superb storyteller. I'm totally onboard for this ride.

Highly recommended.

The Adventurer

I finally got caught up on Hero Discovered. I still need to get up on Hero Defined, because I really want to be reading Hero Denied monthly. Hoping to solve that this week.

Hero Discovered was pretty great, and had some legitimate shocks throughout. A lot of talking though, with Kevin doing everything he could to avoid conflict, which I think was the theme of the series overall 'subvert super-hero expectations'. But I was never bored and always wanted to read the next issue. Good series.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Smith

Oh yes,Mage is off to an interesting start. :)

JamesC

I've just read Mister Miracle #1.
I can't say I was too enamoured by it. I was hoping for more Kirby-esque bonkers stuff but it feels a bit arty farty.
It's one of those modern comics where...look..hff...everyone sort of.
What I'm trying to say is that...what? It's that everyone talks like this...y'know? With all these...elipses...and they just...look...no one ever finishes a sentence.
This is a really annoying trend in modern comic writing - it really gets on my wick! No one ever uses captions or thought balloons anymore either. I think if you're doing a Kirby comic you should use both.

Anyway I'll stick with it for a couple more issues until something happens, it may grow on me. If not I'll probably make a few quid out of it on eBay.

Greg M.

Quote from: JamesC on 18 August, 2017, 12:45:28 PM
This is a really annoying trend in modern comic writing - it really gets on my wick!

The legacy of Brian Michael Bendis, I suspect - the absolute antithesis of everything I like in dialogue.

Colin YNWA

My haul is tiny... I compensated by buying the Hook Jaw trade, which I'll get to tomorrow I reckon. Always seem to compensate for tiny things by buying more and more comics to make me feel better about myself... its a wonder I'm married!

Anyway the haul, if small still needs attention and is perfectly formed.

Coming in first is a pleasent surprise. 11th Doctor Who 3rd 8 is also small and perfectly formed... well the art isn't but the story is at least. Everytime I think I'm getting done with this series it pulls me back in with a sweetie like this.

Judge Dredd Blessed Earth 4 is the weakest of the pile but remains an excellent comic that reflects Dredd through such an interesting prism. From the bottom (a very firm and enjoyable bottom) to what would normally be a lovely peak in Kill or be Killed 11 just brilliant comics. So good it has its own thread now... but I want to drive traffic here and somehow delude meself that people might come here to see my musings on it... my ego isn't small!

Alas though good as it is there can only be one winner this haul and that's the aforementioned Mage - Hero Defied 1. I've talked about Matt Wagner's genius on this board before, in fact so much of a genius I've started a thread for him. This is just more evidence of his genius. Now that's now to start a story, set up character and intrigue and introduce folks while including nice Elvis Costello lyrics all in 20 pages. Matt Wagner you sir are a genius and I don't apologise for repeating myself.

...mind having read the first chapter of Hook Jaw I'm thinking Si Spurrier is a genius as well but that's for a different post.