Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Just stay off the 1970s racist sweets. That's not cool.

Colin YNWA

Big round of applause for surviving that chaps - did I even hear a bit of a 'mouth sick' at one point?

Such a delight and the drunken fun is kinda like making it double sized with a hologram cover, just makes it that little bit more fun and special.

Dandontdare

That was great fun - congratulations on reaching 100, seems like only yesterday! It should be a law that all podcast anniversary episodes must be done drunk (although Fox has some disgusting taste in beverages).  If anything, it was more professional than most episodes, apart from a slightly chaotic start.

Quote from: WhizzBang on 22 May, 2018, 09:06:05 PM
Sherbert came up during this episode and Conrad described it as being something like toothpaste. It is actually a powder - indistinguishable from icing sugar to look at or touch but it tastes sweeter, sharper and fizzier than sugar. You eat it by dipping either liquorice (yuck), a lolly pop, or your finger into it.

*Tchoh*, Philistine - the bitter saltiness of the liquorice in the Sherbet Fountain contrasts perfectly with the sweet sherbet; unlike the inferior Sherbet Dib-Dab which had a hard candy stick making a sickly sweet/sweet combo.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 May, 2018, 07:37:28 AM
Big round of applause for surviving that chaps - did I even hear a bit of a 'mouth sick' at one point?

Such a delight and the drunken fun is kinda like making it double sized with a hologram cover, just makes it that little bit more fun and special.

As I was constantly saying during the episode, I'm not gonna lie to you, I was having a rough time by the end. I'm glad everyone enjoyed this episode, I'm not sure we'll repeat this for episode 200 :D

I just want to say that I love these "Two Nations Divided By A Common Language" moments about childhood snacks. In my experience sherbet is a kind of ice cream, usually fruit flavored (Orange, Boysenberry, and "Rainbow" were the big ones). We did have powdered sugar stuff, mostly famously Pixie Sticks, which were just colored and flavored sugar in paper straws, though there was also Fun Dip, which seems similar to British sherbet, which was colored sugar you ate using a stick made out of hardened sugar. The opened package of sherbet above is blowing my mind slightly.
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Steve Green

Conrad and Fox react to british snacks spinoff vidcast?

shaolin_monkey

Hahahaha!! 100th episode - brilliant! Well done both. You both sounded totally wrecked.  :lol:

I have to admit to skipping an episode to get to 100, so now I'm going to hit reverse and check out the awesome Eammon on your show.  :D

FoxIsntARobot

Quote from: Steve Green on 23 May, 2018, 04:55:56 PM
Conrad and Fox react to british snacks spinoff vidcast?

Immediate interest.

Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 May, 2018, 01:29:39 PM
(although Fox has some disgusting taste in beverages). 

I love a good cocktail. Berlin is strangely short of quality mixing ingredients and specialty mixers. My dream was to make a Blockmania, which I imagine is absinthe, mixed with almost anything that makes the drink more tolerable. That's a lot of experimenting with wormwood I just didn't want to do.

Steve Green

Top it with a 4-cred Freezy-whip

The Legendary Shark

Just don't try a Nemesis...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Steve Green on 24 May, 2018, 07:46:52 PM
Top it with a 4-cred Freezy-whip

No way dude, those things are just way too dangerous!

Leigh S

Congratulations on your Century! 

I have just read Skizz again, and (this might be the Brummie in me talking) I'm thinking this is the equal, if not the best thing Alan Moore ever did.  Comics perfection!

Also reread "The Time Machine", my favourite of all Alan Moore's shorts for Tharg - I feel like I shouldnt't like it - the message is a bit.... grim at best?  But I think it is just beautiful and sad and totally wrong for a kids comic, which is what makes it exactly right for 2000AD

Fox - set robo-tearducts to maximum capacity!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and first episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 325-329 of 2000AD, covering July and August of 1983. Join us as Skizz reaches its climax, Rogue Trooper fights the press, Sam Slade gets back on the case, and Dredd is a dang werewolf!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Leigh S on 26 May, 2018, 11:47:47 PM
Congratulations on your Century! 

I have just read Skizz again, and (this might be the Brummie in me talking) I'm thinking this is the equal, if not the best thing Alan Moore ever did.  Comics perfection!

Also reread "The Time Machine", my favourite of all Alan Moore's shorts for Tharg - I feel like I shouldnt't like it - the message is a bit.... grim at best?  But I think it is just beautiful and sad and totally wrong for a kids comic, which is what makes it exactly right for 2000AD

Fox - set robo-tearducts to maximum capacity!

Skizz is so great! Also, while I prefer The Reversible Man a bit more, both it and The Time Machine take a very melacholy tone that I think is amazing!

Lobo Baggins

Die Hard on a space ship is Space Mutiny. They've stolen hours of effects footage from Battlestar Galactica and they're not afraid to go up to speeds of 3!

The Undercity as a D&D campaign setting, you say? Why not try The Rookie's Guide to the Undercity (wot I wrote).  It's out of print, but Amazon has a used copy in good condition for the bargain price of £10,202.51...

The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

WhizzBang

Thanks Conrad and Fox!

I was one of the runners up in the Robo Machines competition and it was a huge thrill to get a letter from Therg on 2000AD headed notepaper. My memory of the toy thing is that Robo Machines were on the market first but didn't have a big impact and were then pretty much forgotten once Transformers came out.