Main Menu

Pat Mills - the politics of 2000 AD - Marxism 2017

Started by Spaceghost, 23 June, 2017, 12:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceghost

Brother Pat will be discussing the subversive politics of his 2000 AD stories on the 8th of July at Marxism 2017.

https://www.marxismfestival.org.uk/speakers.htm
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Smith

To quote another,not-so-beloved droid: It was always dodgy,anarchist stuff. :)

JLC

Smith

Speaking of Pats politics;is it a bit weird that Bill Savage is a royalist?It doesnt really fit into the mold of Pats heroes.

sheridan

Quote from: Smith on 24 June, 2017, 06:53:55 PM
Speaking of Pats politics;is it a bit weird that Bill Savage is a royalist?It doesnt really fit into the mold of Pats heroes.
A Thatcher-supporter as well (can't remember where I read it, but it was long before the Volg war ended in Great Britain).

IAMTHESYSTEM

Perhaps writing a character who's world view might be radically different to your own is a challenge. Pat Mills for all his faults strikes me as a writer who likes to challenge himself with different material. Bill Savage is different to Slaine, Nemesis, and Finn, as he was a human, had no super power or allegiance to Dark Gods but only the love of his country and a desire to free his land from Volgan aggressors. That set him apart for me with only Dan Dare being a similar character, but Dare had advanced science on his side. Bill had only his combat skills and shotgun to solve his problems, and the ordinary man against extraordinary odds will always provide real drama. 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Richard

A lot of people who have no love for the monarchy might feel differently if Britain was invaded and occupied by the Russians for several years.

lwhitehead

Smith

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 24 June, 2017, 09:14:56 PM
Perhaps writing a character who's world view might be radically different to your own is a challenge. Pat Mills for all his faults strikes me as a writer who likes to challenge himself with different material.
I havent really thought of that.I guess it would make sense.
As for who likes the monarchy or not,thats a topic for another thread.

EDazzling

Mills on Savage in his own words from Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave! The Secret History Of Judge Dredd & 2000AD:
I think it helps that I've made Savage a working class Tory who loved Margaret Thatcher and would love Theresa May. So it can be hard for me to get inside Bill's head, but I make a point of talking to similar characters for story material. I will regularly drink with them in ex-pat bars, to my wife's despair, listening to their often appalling views, nodding my head neutrally as I make mental notes to write it all down later in my notebook.  I need to know the enemy. How his mind works and why.

Like Kris Kristofferson, I'll drink with the devil to beat him. And I don't believe that no one wants to know. 

"And then I stole his song".

Smith

So method writing?
I dont dare to guess who he hanged out with to write Greysuit. :o

lwhitehead

Method Writing so Pat must had some pain in his Life,

LW

sheridan

Quote from: lwhitehead on 27 June, 2017, 12:38:05 AM
Method Writing so Pat must had some pain in his Life,

LW
There is - he's gone in to some detail in the Millsverse blog recently.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: EDazzling on 25 June, 2017, 09:20:54 AM
Mills on Savage in his own words from Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave! The Secret History Of Judge Dredd & 2000AD:
I think it helps that I've made Savage a working class Tory who loved Margaret Thatcher and would love Theresa May. So it can be hard for me to get inside Bill's head, but I make a point of talking to similar characters for story material. I will regularly drink with them in ex-pat bars, to my wife's despair, listening to their often appalling views, nodding my head neutrally as I make mental notes to write it all down later in my notebook.  I need to know the enemy. How his mind works and why.

Aaahhh.... If his expierience of right-wing views are those of white-van-men in ex-pat bars, Pat's partisan politics suddenly make so much more sense to me!
@jamesfeistdraws

Smith