Main Menu

Prog 2042 - Beware the Hollow Men.

Started by Tjm86, 29 July, 2017, 12:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Posties early today and he brought the prog to boot - tidy!

Nice cover by Trevallian.

Expo heavy Dredd.  Filling in details with an info dump.  Marshall does it his usual justice. 

Return of the Alienist.  Jumping straight in with the mystery and a new antagonist?

Greysuit goes bananas (literally).  Higgins' art as ever is a pleasure.  In fact it is easy to be bowled over by it.  (apologies for that one).

Grey Area is a one off.  Bit light hearted.  Okay but nowt special.

Rounded out with Hunted.  Sorry, not got into this at all.  Traitor General is just too one dimensional.

Overall, an okay week.  Oh, and Lawless is returning to the meg  (yay!)

Richard

QuoteExpo heavy Dredd.
True but it was done in an entertaining way.

Magnetica

Great cover, but I never would have guessed that was Tiernan Trevallion.

Brilliant, brilliant episode of Dredd. And its not Wagner!

The Alienist. I was not looking forward to this returning, but it is actually cracking. I'll eat my hat if you like.

Greysuit. Continues to be on great form. Must be the easiest recent Pat story to follow.

Grey Area. hmmmm....not sure about this one. Also think I would like Karl Richardson or Patrick Goddard back on art duties.

Hunted...yeah its ok...not really my thing these days.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 29 July, 2017, 07:48:44 PM

The Alienist. I was not looking forward to this returning, but it is actually cracking. I'll eat my hat if you like.

Yeah know I felt very similar. While I'd not go as far as to say Alienist was 'cracking' I certainly enjoyed it more than I expected so intrgued to see if it can keep me along for the ride after a decent start... unlike Hunted which has simply left me cold. To be honest I can honestly say whether it was good or bad its just that I'm utterly disengaged with it and it just washes past me... possible the worse thing you can say about a 2000ad story!

Elsewhere we are fine. Sure the Dredd is a bit exposition heavy but

1) If that exposition moves the story on in a way you like and
2) If it involves someone ina chase riding a giant mutant puppy

I'm okay with that. Grey Area is a little light this weak but passable and had a nice moment at the end there. Weak for this run but good enough. As for Greysuit its blindin' still. Even the slightly forced Factoid comment gets a pass as Blake finds things to throw at his pursuers. Even the frankly bizarre bowler hatted march gets a pass for the lush OTT dialogue of what now must surely be refered to as the Mill Cliche Villain Sterotype Supreme and that great final panel.

Very solid Prog.

Magnetica

I feel exactly the same about Hunted.

McNulty

Dredd: Got to agree that it was a exposition heavy but necessary episode of Dredd.

Alienist: Loots good and has promise. It's just a shame that there is so long between stories for these tales.

Greysuit: The best of the bunch this week. Lots of action and anticipation of more to come. And it was really weird to see everyone in Max Normal gear.

Grey Area: A nice enough story with mixed emotions.

Hunted: They are going in a strange direction with this story, effectively retconning the reasons for the origins of the Nort/Souther galactic war. Very much like the rebooted series of the V.C.s. Is is so hard to believe that humanity is stupid and destructive enough to want to kill each other without some outside conspiracy?

Finally, I would like to say that I don't agree with Tharg about his comments in editorial letter. The reasons behind the change of sex of the Doctor is not about embracing change or pushing forward. It is about pushing an agenda by taking an established character in a much loved programme and fundamentally changing him. I am all for strong female characters in entertainment. 2000AD has given us so many from Halo Jones to Judges Anderson and Hershey. But these are wonderful characters in their own right, not ones who took over from established characters. How would the readers react if 2000AD decided to kill off Judge Dredd and replace him with a female clone who was called Judge Dredd and was totally perfect and made all the male judges around her look foolish? There were many other ways the BBC could have pushed forward with Dr Who without rewriting it's canon: they could have brought back Romana or the Rani. Or given the Doctor's daughter her own programme. All of these would have been much more preferred to what they have done, which has essentially split the fanbase and cause ill feelings where it didn't have to happen this way.

Frank

Quote from: McNulty on 30 July, 2017, 01:46:44 PM
The reasons behind the change of sex of the Doctor is not about embracing change or pushing forward. It is about pushing an agenda

This is exciting. I've never seen a Prog Review thread get locked.

JOE SOAP

How would the readers react if 2000AD decided to kill off Judge Dredd and replace him with a female clone who was called Judge Dredd and was totally perfect and made all the male judges around her look foolish?

They aren't killing Doctor Who – the relevant thread is thisaway

Tjm86

How would the readers react if 2000AD decided to kill off Judge Dredd and replace him with a female clone who was called Judge Dredd and was totally perfect and made all the male judges around her look foolish?

I may be wrong here but isn't there already a female Dredd clone?  Granted they haven't killed Dredd off but his mortality has been oft discussed and there are multiple clones kicking about.   

Look on the bright side.  It could have been far worse with Dr Who.  They could have made him Welsh!

Taryn Tailz

Have I slipped into a parallel universe where suddenly Greysuit is good? :P

IndigoPrime

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 30 July, 2017, 02:44:18 PMThey aren't killing Doctor Who – the relevant thread is thisaway
Indeed. No more Doctor Who discussion in this thread, please. 2000 AD only.

dweezil2

Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 30 July, 2017, 03:34:16 PM

It's always been good!  ;)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: dweezil2 on 30 July, 2017, 04:42:43 PM

This is a strange and frightening universe indeed. :P

Geoff

Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 30 July, 2017, 05:34:30 PM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 30 July, 2017, 04:42:43 PM

This is a strange and frightening universe indeed. :P

It is indeed!

Usually it's just Mills who does the preaching, the 'Brexit Bowler' march being a glorious example!

But Tharg getting preachy about a female Dr Who in his Nerve Centre, urgh... can't we leave this sort of thing to the Twitter virtue signallers and their opposite numbers to slug out.

On the plus side Alienist looks very promising, Dredd's getting weird and interesting, loving the art in Grey Area, despite being a bit of a pen 'n ink purist, and the Traitor General will end some time..