Main Menu

Prog 2084 - Hail to the Chief!

Started by Colin YNWA, 02 June, 2018, 09:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

Quote from: broodblik on 07 June, 2018, 11:09:29 AM
Quote from: Magnetica on 07 June, 2018, 07:11:44 AM
But it's a different thing to the story not going anywhere.....just saying.

Where is Sin/Dex going ? I am not sure. Maybe I am unfair to sate that it is going nowhere.

The question I have for you is, do you not like it because

a) you don't like the characters
b) you think it isn't going anywhere
c) a combination of the above

?

broodblik

Quote from: Magnetica on 07 June, 2018, 11:26:13 AM
Quote from: broodblik on 07 June, 2018, 11:09:29 AM
Quote from: Magnetica on 07 June, 2018, 07:11:44 AM
But it's a different thing to the story not going anywhere.....just saying.

Where is Sin/Dex going ? I am not sure. Maybe I am unfair to sate that it is going nowhere.

The question I have for you is, do you not like it because

a) you don't like the characters
b) you think it isn't going anywhere
c) a combination of the above

?

Because of a) it feels for me that the story is going nowhere. But maybe is must just bite the bullet and see where the journey ends  :D
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

For me, the problem with Sin/Dex started when Abnett decided it should go somewhere. It worked as a kind of throwaway filler, featuring two people with a moral code that was essentially satirical (or if not, delusional). But when it hit serious 'epic' territory, it worked for a while (the Demi arc) but then gradually ended up mired in continuity hell. I'm much happier now the strip's just become a place again for quick, simple stories that can be slotted in here and there, rather than something where you need to remember a decade or more of interlinked plot threads.

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 June, 2018, 11:33:55 AM
For me, the problem with Sin/Dex started when Abnett decided it should go somewhere. It worked as a kind of throwaway filler, featuring two people with a moral code that was essentially satirical (or if not, delusional). But when it hit serious 'epic' territory, it worked for a while (the Demi arc) but then gradually ended up mired in continuity hell. I'm much happier now the strip's just become a place again for quick, simple stories that can be slotted in here and there, rather than something where you need to remember a decade or more of interlinked plot threads.

I'd agree with this - there were a few good long arcs, but I'm really not interested in any more Moses (original or alternate universe versions), but am enjoying the latest stories since Malone and Generica. 

BPP

Sin Dex and Grey Area are both strips that work for me with certain artists and not with others. With Simon Davis (Sin Dex) or Mark Harrison (Grey Area) they really fly and are always stand out 2000ad strips. Whereas when certain others have tried them it just didn't gel. There was a particularly long SinDex epic that was totally insipid simply due to an artist (who had done fine work elsewhere in the prog) just being a bad fit imho. Like many 2000ad strips they benefit from artists who really want to 'draw the shit' out of each page and embellish the writers words and character interactions.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Magnetica

Quote from: BPP on 08 June, 2018, 12:48:55 AM
There was a particularly long SinDex epic that was totally insipid simply due to an artist (who had done fine work elsewhere in the prog) just being a bad fit imho.

Can you remember who it was?

BPP

Yes but I don't want to be slagging off a particular person.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

TordelBack

I'm enjoying everything greatly again this week, how boring!

Special mention goes to Durham Red, which only three (!) episodes has already established itself as a goer: the strip works on every level.  Thumbs up!

Survival Geeks continues to charm the pants off me, cheery frothy stuff that I desperately crave.

Skip Tracer does itself few favours making Blake's apartment look just like Deckard's:more of a statement about what it wants to be than one of what it is. It's still a good read though, crisply rendered, and I'm enjoying the journey to who-knows-where.  If it's a stealthy lead in to a new series of Medivac 318 I'll forgive it almost anything, but otherwise it needs to find a hook of its own, and soon.

Dredd and Deadworld continue their strong runs, and Droid Life gave me a chuckle.

Jovus and Mavis, Tharg, give me something to complain about, my moaning glands are atrophying!

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 June, 2018, 05:21:21 PM
Skip Tracer ...  If it's a stealthy lead in to a new series of Medivac 318 I'll forgive it almost anything

Wrong reboot/crossover:

Prog 2086's cover line is You Can't Beat A Bit Of Bully. Maybe the character making Nolan Blake try to remember where he put the red dish towel is a Yugee and readers will finally get to see Nick Stone meltdown.

I'll see your Deckard and raise you space grunts killing bugs and a character called Ibanez. Skip Tracer's inoffensive stuff, but it's exactly what you'd expect guys in their forties to come up with if you asked them to pitch something to 2000ad.

Apart from an angry cow turning up wearing double denim. That was mad.

Tiplodocus

I'm with Tordels.  Keep it up Tharg.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!