Main Menu

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 October, 2017, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Not quite what I said,but whatever,this conversation is spinning in circles,and I have no energy to continue this.To each his own.

blackmocco

Quote from: Smith on 19 October, 2017, 05:13:17 AM
@blackmocco
Yes,Voyager had flaws.We went thru that a dozen times.
But I dont think the reasoning of "our world is shit" or "because GoT or Man of Steel" is any sort of justification here.

Ugh. I didn't bring up Man of Steel. That was Prof Bear. I hate that fucking movie.

As to the point about the current state of affairs justifying STD's style and story, we can just disagree. That's okay too.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Magnetica

Quote from: Smith on 18 October, 2017, 08:31:49 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 October, 2017, 08:23:45 PM
"Space: Above and Beyond," wow - there's a blast from the past! I loved that show!
So Im not the only one who remembers that. :)

I remember it is as well. My recollection is it was a good concept but it didn't really make the most of it. The nougthies BSG was way better.

But it was starting to (unexpectedly) get really interesting right at the end, with the reveal of the alien. And then it got cancelled and so never had the chance to build on that.

Smith

Yeah,it never could decide if it wants to be Vietnam War in space or WW2 in space.One episode plays out like a war comic,another hammers in that big companies have started the war to make money.You know,realistic approach.

blackmocco

Quote from: Smith on 20 October, 2017, 05:19:52 PM
Yeah,it never could decide if it wants to be Vietnam War in space or WW2 in space.One episode plays out like a war comic,another hammers in that big companies have started the war to make money.You know,realistic approach.

We're just long overdue for a VC's TV show.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Jim_Campbell

No chance a mod could change the title of this thread to "Fucking surprised by..."? :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Smith

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 October, 2017, 06:42:58 PM
No chance a mod could change the title of this thread to "Fucking surprised by..."? :-)
Somebody saying fucking.Yeah,that was just childish,

Goaty

Klingon guard beat the man to death, and the fucking word is the most offence? Lovely.

Magnetica

Just responding to where the conversation went.

Goodness knows the board is quiet enough these days, without being bound by the actual title of the thread. :lol:

blackmocco

Quote from: Goaty on 20 October, 2017, 07:26:15 PM
Klingon guard beat the man to death, and the fucking word is the most offence? Lovely.

Yeah, the F-bomb getting the headlines for that episode says something about our sensibilities, doesn't it? Violence and sex = okay. A playful F-bomb = utterly unacceptable.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

JamesC

I guess violence and sex are inevitable within Starfleet but swearing is seen as unecessary.

Smith

Well,Klingons killed people before.This is a new thing.

blackmocco

Quote from: Smith on 20 October, 2017, 07:53:47 PM
Well,Klingons killed people before.This is a new thing.

Also a new thing: Klingons graphically goring their victims with giant Klingon bayonets and kicking an unarmed prisoner's skull in. Yet the F-bomb makes people question whether their kids should watch the show.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

TordelBack

Quote from: blackmocco on 20 October, 2017, 07:41:22 PM
Yeah, the F-bomb getting the headlines for that episode says something about our sensibilities, doesn't it? Violence and sex = okay. A playful F-bomb = utterly unacceptable.

Hmmm. While I would prefer the violence and gore was toned down to family-viewing levels, Kilngons and their violent proclivities are fantasy, they don't exist and none of it actually happened, and even so their actions are clearly painted as Bad Things done by Bad Guys.  Swearing OTOH is a real thing that my kids are likely to do, that takes place between two human characters, including our cute bumbling Starfleet cadet character, and it's framed here as funny. 

You can surely see the difference, from a parental PoV. 

I love creative swearing, Deadwood is probably my favourite non-SF TV show of all time, but Star Trek is a show we have always watched as a family, just as it was tea-time viewing for me as a kid.  It definitely wouldn't have been if Bones' catchphrase had been "Fuck it Jim, I'm a Doctor, not a c*nt".  I'm sure there were more examples, but in the entire 50 years of the franchise I can recall one 'bastard' (well repeated twice) and one 'shit', and I didn't care for the latter at all.  Swearing adds realism to characters' speech patterns, but there's no need for it, and precious little precedent, in a far-future setting like Trek.

EDIT: Just watched Joe's links - forgot about the Merde!